When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Easy. If ASOP is the base that companies like Samsung (TouchWiz), HTC (Sense), and Motorola (MotoBlur) build on top of, ASOP must be the bare bones base OS. It really is as simple as that.

ASOP? Lol I kid I kid. AOSP is certainly a complete OS. Yes it is zen and core. Bare bones? That makes me think featureless and unpolished. Not sure about that as aosp does many things buttery smooth. Sure manufacturers bloat it up, for good or bad, but that is the natural way of open sourced products. Bottom line, it creates great choice and great challenges for development. It could be simple.....but it isn't.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So you do see the extras that tw add but choose to disregard them. That is your choice. Flash aosp or aosp and be merry

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
Apple has been giving bare bones for years and it seems to have served them well. I personally love the simplicity of Vanilla vs TW. I have hand picked the apps I like and not had to worry about installing ROMs that might be buggy etc.

But when it comes to phones like the Note 2 I would agree with you more as that device requires more software for the complete experience out of the box. Some of this may be true for the S3 but I don't think it is as critical. The S4 will probably be a different story which will bring your logic even farther to being a very good point vs a debatable preference.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Easy. If AOSP is the base that companies like Samsung (TouchWiz), HTC (Sense), and Motorola (MotoBlur) build on top of, AOSP must be the bare bones base OS. It really is as simple as that.
I think everyone is just splitting hairs on the terminology of AOSP. It has everything you need to run your phone and life but isn't as layered. It's probably offering more than a clean install of Windows or even a system from Dell with bloat ware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough sir thank you for the clarification. I would like to ask your opinion on the matter would you consider aosp "bare bones" or if not how would you classify it.

Also note I never said anything about wanting aosp on every device or anything like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

In a relative sense, yes I would. Skinned devices have more features than asop, and skinned includes more features.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Bare bones does not imply incomplete or unpolished. It implies that things are not are completely fleshed out as they could be. You don't have all the features or stock apps that could be there.

My only problem with aosp is that it until recently lacked lots of basic ui functionally like settings in the pull down. Sense and Asus devices have had this forever. Why 4.2 is just now getting it is beyond me.

Simple things like the home screen setup aid feature in sense 4 is also missing that could be a great addition that no market app could do without a whole new launcher.

I also think the stock messaging app and keyboard are garbage, but that is more opinion than anything else.

Also, it would be nice for it to have some more and better looking stock widgets, but this is probably a pipe dream...

Much of this can be replaced by market apps, but I don't by a phone just so I can replace every stock app and launcher on it. Market stuff just never feels as polished in things like launchers and messaging apps, and I would rather not use them if I don't have to. But with aosp I feel the need to replace everything.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I never feel like replacing stuff I'm sure I hold a different philosophy on how I like my ui's and my level of control as a whole. Personally I like clean and simple ui elements the only two that have this in my eyes are sony and aosp I don't like a bunch of extra stuff that I can't get rid of like 5 billion toggles in my notification shade or notifications for a ton of crap that really doesn't need it in the first place yes most of these are tw complaints. As for apps I prefer to build up my own set of preferred apps. I love the aosp keyboard I'm not a fan of the others. Messaging is easy and to the point no craziness nothing super fancy. Aosp to me is a fluid clean experience. I'm not saying the other skins don't provide more I'm saying I don't think aosp is bare bones its by no means lacking in features and is by far a more responsive experience on my device compared to its tw counterpart.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I never feel like replacing stuff I'm sure I hold a different philosophy on how I like my ui's and my level of control as a whole. Personally I like clean and simple ui elements the only two that have this in my eyes are sony and aosp I don't like a bunch of extra stuff that I can't get rid of like 5 billion toggles in my notification shade or notifications for a ton of crap that really doesn't need it in the first place yes most of these are tw complaints. As for apps I prefer to build up my own set of preferred apps. I love the aosp keyboard I'm not a fan of the others. Messaging is easy and to the point no craziness nothing super fancy. Aosp to me is a fluid clean experience. I'm not saying the other skins don't provide more I'm saying I don't think aosp is bare bones its by no means lacking in features and is by far a more responsive experience on my device compared to its tw counterpart.

Try SwiftKey, you will never be a fan of anything else ever again... It's that good

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Try SwiftKey, you will never be a fan of anything else ever again... It's that good

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I have tried swiftkey, swipe, and a few others I just don't like them as much. Don't ask why its really probably a deep rooted back of my head something I would need to contemplate type thing. Yes it can be like stock or whatever else as its very themeable but I'm just a fan of the stock software package. I never have been keen on googles hardware choices or options though which is why I use Samsung devices they have the hardware I prefer and I can work with source lol. I'm not saying its for everyone and I am not expecting anyone to sway their opinion I just feel the terminology of bare bones is not an apt description.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It is just lame when carriers and manufacturers strip aosp, like google wallet. Gotta love that choice. To the topic at hand. Never will the i love stop:p

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
.. And if dog had wings they could fly but that isn't happening anytime soon.

As far as wallet goes, Google had their chance and blew it. I personally do not care what standard comes out of it, I just want nfc payment wherever

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I like the term splitting hairs. That is it. Googles OS is hella fully featured. Nothing bare about it exept the fact all aosp releases seem beta like. While 99% of the OS is flawless, it does seem like severl corners are left to the public to beta test. A beta OS? Yes! Ha ha

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
.. And if dog had wings they could fly but that isn't happening anytime soon.

As far as wallet goes, Google had their chance and blew it. I personally do not care what standard comes out of it, I just want nfc payment wherever

This we agree on.

Lol. I like the term splitting hairs. That is it. Googles OS is hella fully featured. Nothing bare about it exept the fact all aosp releases seem beta like. While 99% of the OS is flawless, it does seem like severl corners are left to the public to beta test. A beta OS? Yes! Ha ha

The os is ever changing they are constantly modifying things which comes with the expected drawback of a possible bug missed. I'm sure changes go up for review all the time just like cm's gerrit code review.

I have never gotten to use it, but it really seems to have a cult like follow in on the Internet lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I know a few people who swear allegiance to it lmao.