When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Back to billion dollar OS's, should not Apple open up iOS for everyone to improve like Google? That would be so innovative. That is where most people go, to where the innovation is, besides die hard fanbois. I had my tenure with iOS. In that year Android was innovating leaps and bounds over iOS and continues.

Innovative products take states of beta and Googles AOSP is responsible for all our android innovations. That is why I heart AOSP. It is the fuel in your phone. Love it or hate it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't stand swiftkey. IMO it's worse than Swype. it's all a matter of opinion.
wow this surprises me. I just setup my 14 year old daughter with my SGS2 yesterday and put swiftkey on it for her. She actually commented on how it was so smart and was picking her next word. And this was before I told her how it worked.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
wow this surprises me. I just setup my 14 year old daughter with my SGS2 yesterday and put swiftkey on it for her. She actually commented on how it was so smart and was picking her next word. And this was before I told her how it worked.

why be surprised? it's called "different strokes", Brad. :) Not everyone has the same tastes as yourself.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm just gonna say, if Android had been named after a fruit, Google would be a multi-billion dollar company.

Oh wait :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It is just lame when carriers and manufacturers strip aosp, like google wallet. Gotta love that choice. To the topic at hand. Never will the i love stop:p

Google Wallet is not now nor has it ever been AOSP.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I think that what everyone has beating around the bush with here and that Google themselves consider AOSP and the Nexus line to be the bare bones foundation for OEMs to build upon. Phil and company have said so in the podcasts and reviews many tines. Even Matias Duarte supports this.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Google Wallet is not now nor has it ever been AOSP.

Lol. Never said google wallet was AOSP:rolleyes:

It is an app fyi. Verizon and manufacturers still stripped aosp/stock google of google wallet;)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

What the article is saying is that Google updated their own core apps so that when Rom develpers utiluze Users can download them. Since they are NOT AOSP, ROM developers are not allowed to redistribute them in the ROM itself.

And yes you did say it was AOSP ... Reread the portion I quoted above.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
why be surprised? it's called "different strokes", Brad. :) Not everyone has the same tastes as yourself.
Ya I'm all for that but it's a keyboard that spits of words. It's not a complicated app. I can see how some people would say they like Swype better, but to say you hated swiftkey just doesn't make sense considering it was one if not the highest rated apps of 2011 and 2012.

One thing I have noticed is that is I don't use the Light Theme it isn't as good for me.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Bare bones does not imply incomplete or unpolished. It implies that things are not are completely fleshed out as they could be. You don't have all the features or stock apps that could be there.

My only problem with aosp is that it until recently lacked lots of basic ui functionally like settings in the pull down. Sense and Asus devices have had this forever. Why 4.2 is just now getting it is beyond me.

Simple things like the home screen setup aid feature in sense 4 is also missing that could be a great addition that no market app could do without a whole new launcher.

I also think the stock messaging app and keyboard are garbage, but that is more opinion than anything else.

Also, it would be nice for it to have some more and better looking stock widgets, but this is probably a pipe dream...

Much of this can be replaced by market apps, but I don't by a phone just so I can replace every stock app and launcher on it. Market stuff just never feels as polished in things like launchers and messaging apps, and I would rather not use them if I don't have to. But with aosp I feel the need to replace everything.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I feel u to an extent. Most of the flashy apps I would've used on the s3 I already have on my Gnex(pop out player smart stay ect) and I get to enjoy aosp Android

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What the article is saying is that Google updated their own core apps so that when Rom develpers utiluze Users can download them. Since they are NOT AOSP, ROM developers are not allowed to redistribute them in the ROM itself.

And yes you did say it was AOSP ... Reread the portion I quoted above.

Lmao.....relax. Twice you have put words in my mouth. Is this personal? Hope not, this is a fun thread. Seems you crave an explanation:rolleyes:

We were discussing aosp to TW, Sence, Blur bla bla bla. It is assumed by most of us here that when we mention aosp we are talking about the OS. AOSP+GAPPS. The Complete OS. Give us old schoolers a little credit lol. Most everyone discussing a complete AOSP rom vs i OS is also discussing gapps. We all know they are not open source.

You dont need to tell me what I wrote, understand, mean, or forgot. I know exactly what I have said and meant. Please leave it be.....it is annoying to say the least to go back and forth like kindergarten children "yes you did" "no you didn't" "yes you did" no you didn't." Let get back to a better discussion:)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I feel u to an extent. Most of the flashy apps I would've used on the s3 I already have on my Gnex(pop out player smart stay ect) and I get to enjoy aosp Android

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

What exactly do you have enjoy?

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Google extends Google glass into windshields of cars for a heads up display. Apple comes up with their own and the media loves it more than Google, see on topic. LOL

I'm determined to keep my promise that I will have a Nissan GTR. Besides that no favorites.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

I have an R33 does that count?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira