Has anybody tried any off-brand desktop charging docks?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm watching several on ebay and can't decide which one to buy, if any. Here are some of the pics. Most run $10-18, but the third one was like $28. That last two have inserts that can be removed to let you charge with a case on the phone (a slim case, that is). I have a 50% discount coupon where I could get the Samsung charging dock for $25 (not the multimedia dock, the cheaper one), but I don't know if it works with cases. Also, some of the reviews said it didn't hold the phone very securely.

$(KGrHqVHJEgFBuod,vQIBQfimY2sZg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!hkFCfh4UNMmBQsCpc)4)!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJCUFByqsdEpQBQjZjPch!w~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYg28BQuCGB56e!~~60_12.JPG

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought this one off ebay: New Desktop Dock 2nd Battery Charger Stand for Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 | eBay

I've had for about 2 weeks and it charges the phone and extra battery just fine. It works with this case that I keep on the phone: For Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II Gray Ultra Slim Back Clip on Plastic Case Cover | eBay

One issue I had was it didn't seem to work when using the cord they included, but I just pluged the charger that came with the phone into the back of the stand and it has worked fine ever since.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Bump...anyone have any opinions?
I have an opinion but no experience with it yet ... the third one you show looks a lot like one of the RND brand that is on Amazon. I've looked at a lot and decided on this one:
Amazon.com: RND Power Solutions Deluxe Cradle / Desktop Docking Station and 2nd Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy Note II (2) (compatible without or with a slim-fit case) (white): Cell Phones & Accessories

It has a removable sleeve so if you have a case you pull out the sleeve and it gives you a bigger opening. Plus it will charge a 2nd battery. $25.

foppa78

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I will admit that I havent looked at all of the docs available but all of the ones that I did look at only charged at 1A or 1.5A. Thats a shame since the Note 2 can charge at 2A. After registering my new phone on the samsung website they sent me a %50 coupon code so I ordered the one that they offer and got it for $25.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought this one off ebay: New Desktop Dock 2nd Battery Charger Stand for Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 | eBay

I've had for about 2 weeks and it charges the phone and extra battery just fine. It works with this case that I keep on the phone: For Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II Gray Ultra Slim Back Clip on Plastic Case Cover | eBay

One issue I had was it didn't seem to work when using the cord they included, but I just pluged the charger that came with the phone into the back of the stand and it has worked fine ever since.

Yeah, that's like one of the ones I included. I thought about it because it was so inexpensive. I didn't figure their crappy charger/cord would work for the note, so I was going to do the same thing and use my OEM cable or another 1.5-2.0A charging cable that I have. I use a generic 1.5A at work now and it does just fine.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an opinion but no experience with it yet ... the third one you show looks a lot like one of the RND brand that is on Amazon. I've looked at a lot and decided on this one:
Amazon.com: RND Power Solutions Deluxe Cradle / Desktop Docking Station and 2nd Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy Note II (2) (compatible without or with a slim-fit case) (white): Cell Phones & Accessories

It has a removable sleeve so if you have a case you pull out the sleeve and it gives you a bigger opening. Plus it will charge a 2nd battery. $25.
Yes, it is the RND model. In fact, I had one exactly like it for my GS2. Worked great even with a case. The only reason I haven't ordered this one yet is because I can get the OEM one for the same price with my 50% discount. I just don't know if the OEM one will accommodate a slim case and still charge.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I will admit that I havent looked at all of the docs available but all of the ones that I did look at only charged at 1A or 1.5A. Thats a shame since the Note 2 can charge at 2A.

On all the ones I've seen you can just use the Samsung-supplied 2A AC adapter instead of the one that comes with the dock, or even just buy another 2A. I've learned at the .7A chargers will charge to 100% overnight if the battery is not totally discharged..

borgdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is the RND model. In fact, I had one exactly like it for my GS2. Worked great even with a case. The only reason I haven't ordered this one yet is because I can get the OEM one for the same price with my 50% discount. I just don't know if the OEM one will accommodate a slim case and still charge.

I saved a couple bucks and got the RND one without the second battery charger since I don't ever plan on having a second battery. Seemed to charge the phone fine last night, holds it pretty well, has removable insert if you have a slim case (I run naked). I'm going to use it with the Samsung charger tonight and compare the charge rates with Battery Monitor Widget. Was following a forum thread on all the chargers with the Note II and charging rates, but I've lost the thread and can't seem to find (don't even remember what site it was on).

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I am going to get the one from Samsung as well since I got the 50% off as well till January 26th. I don't mind that some cases wont work with it. I will just take off the Otter Box once I get it. It also charges the extra batter that comes with it at the same time right?

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I am going to get the one from Samsung as well since I got the 50% off as well till January 26th. I don't mind that some cases wont work with it. I will just take off the Otter Box once I get it. It also charges the extra batter that comes with it at the same time right?
I posted this on another site, read carefully ;)
TheOtherBill said:
I've been looking at these on Samsung's site. I've noticed it can be a bit confusing distinguishing which is which.

Galaxy Note? II Smart Dock EDD-S20JWEGSTA $99.99
Dock with a 2 Amp (2000mAh) USB Travel Charger

Samsung Galaxy Universal Multimedia Desktop Dock EDD-D200BEGSTA $49.99
Dock with a 700mAh Travel Adapter

Galaxy Note? II Spare Battery Charging System EB-H1J9VMAGSTA $49.99
Stand (NOT a dock!) 3100 mAh Standard Battery, 700mAh Travel Adapter

(All the above is from the Samsung site. If there are any errors, please post a correction!)

Note that the first two are docks, but the third is a stand - it will not charge the battery in the phone, only the spare inside the charger. But what's really important is that the Smart Dock is the only one that comes with the 2A charger. Expect much slower charging from the others.

The supplied (in the box with the phone) AC adapter is 2 amps, you can use that with Universal dock instead of the 700 mAh charger. I was unable to find a 2A charger on the Samsung site, but they do list a 1A travel charger.

So instead of getting one of these I'll most likely just get a $10-20 clone dock and use the charger that comes with the phone with it. I really wanted two of the fast chargers but I have no use for the multimedia dock.

The RND unit I linked further up will charge a spare battery and the phone, but I think you need two cables to do that - not sure.

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

foppa78

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on another site, read carefully ;)

The RND unit I linked further up will charge a spare battery and the phone, but I think you need two cables to do that - not sure.

Shame on Samsung if they are selling any Note 2 chargers that charge at 700mAh. Mine will be here tomorrow. I guess I will find out for sure what it is.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Shame on Samsung if they are selling any Note 2 chargers that charge at 700mAh. Mine will be here tomorrow. I guess I will find out for sure what it is.

The spare battery charger and universal dock are .7A, the Note 2-specific dock is 2A. I guess with the spare dock it doesn't matter, because it would be pretty hard to kill your main battery in the time it will take the spare to charge up at either rate.
But shame on them for not making it obvious!

foppa78

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The spare battery charger and universal dock are .7A, the Note 2-specific dock is 2A. I guess with the spare dock it doesn't matter, because it would be pretty hard to kill your main battery in the time it will take the spare to charge up at either rate.
But shame on them for not making it obvious!

It looks as if it is more than the universal that is only .7A. This is what I ordered and it is specifically made for the Note 2.
Galaxy Note

I am a little bummed because I didnt notice this before I placed my order.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It looks as if it is more than the universal that is only .7A. This is what I ordered and it is specifically made for the Note 2.
Galaxy Note

I am a little bummed because I didnt notice this before I placed my order.
Yes, that's the spare charger, but don't worry about it it's not like you'll kill your other battery in the 8 hours that'll take to charge a spare. If you were in a rush you could just use the 2A adapter that came with the phone connected to that.

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

I have this one and it works Great!!! And great customer service too!

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's good to know. I haven't seen anything that looks better so it's on my Amazon wishlist.
If Santa doesn't bring it I'll order it the day after Christmas ;)

John Hergenroder

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Buy the $28 one. Pay a little more and you wont be disappointed. MOST Aftermarket Chargers DO NOT work with Samsung phones unless the Chargers are made by Samsung. They show that they are Slow Charging or not charging at all. I actually bought the RND brand for $36 on Amazon and it works EXCELLENT.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital