How to assign a Preferred WIFI connection?

raffitou

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I work in a place with 2 WIFI networks. One is my preferred connection which is secured with a password, then one which is Open. The secured WIFI is near my desk and the open is everywhere in the building. When I step away from my desk my phone switches to the Open network. When I come back it doesn't switch back to my preferred secured connection.

Is there any way to assign a preferred WIFI connection so that when I'm near my desk it switches over automatically? The only other solution I've found is to "forget" the open network which I actually like to have access to when I'm in a dead cell connection area like the basement.

Thanks

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't found a way to do it either.
I have a dual band router at home. I prefer to connect to the 5, but the phone always chooses 2.4.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I haven't found a way to do it either.
I have a dual band router at home. I prefer to connect to the 5, but the phone always chooses 2.4.

My Linksys allows me to have a different SSID for the 5G band perhaps yours does as well? Check it out.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My Linksys allows me to have a different SSID for the 5G band perhaps yours does as well? Check it out.
Same for my Netgear.

FWIW: I thought I wanted to use 5, but I checked with WiFi Analyzer (great app, BTW) and the 2.4 was a much better signal. My connection on the 2.4 anywhere in the house or in the yard is a magnitude faster than I can get from my cable modem. That's way more than good enough.

raffitou

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Found an app that does what I wanted.The app is Wifi Prioritizer. Tested it out and seems to be working. Its free.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781