Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Samsung official universal dock review

For those who like to use DVR apps, I have attached a picture as if you were shooting down the road. For this picture, I did not re-adjust my mount in any way in order to get a "better" shot, I simply turned my phone sideways and used the voice command "shoot" to grab a picture. I'm sure I could dash mount it and get some of the base out of the way, but I just wanted to give a quick example for everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung official universal dock review-20121227_135536.jpg  

Nice that looks pretty good.

If I got this it would be for mostly dash cam usage. Can you run a test and confirm for me something? How well does the mount keep a steady image? My brother's mount for his Note 2 had some serious vibration and bumpiness in the recorded video making it almost impossible to view. If you could do a small like 30 second run using this and upload to Youtube I would be very grateful.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

I will definitely do that. You also have to take into account what it is mounted to. My wife's mount (same mount) vibrates, but that is because it is resting on a non-reinforced part of her dash. Mounted to my windshield, mine does not appear to vibrate at all. I will get a quick video for you though. What's your favorite DVR program, I can try using that as well, since I don't have one installed.

Haha I was just going to use the default camera app. Figured I'd put my phone in the mount when I get in the car, launch the camera and start recording 1080p/30fps footage to my SD Card. Just stop it when I get parked.

Figured out that with this phone, a 15 minute recording takes up about 1.5-2.0GB of space. So with a 64GB SD Card you should have enough storage to record pretty much any driving trip you make short of going cross country.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Nice that looks pretty good.

If I got this it would be for mostly dash cam usage. Can you run a test and confirm for me something? How well does the mount keep a steady image? My brother's mount for his Note 2 had some serious vibration and bumpiness in the recorded video making it almost impossible to view. If you could do a small like 30 second run using this and upload to Youtube I would be very grateful.
    Here's a video recording from my Galaxy Note II which was mounted to the Samsung Universal Car Dock. I drove around the block for 4 minutes to give you an idea how steady the universal dock is.

And here are some pics of the car dock...

Thanked by 2:
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.

Sh3ng, I just want to say, YOU THE MAN.

Thank you so much for taking that video and uploading it. It confirmed for me that the Samsung mount is perfect for dash cam usage. That video was absolutely vibration free and looked great.Thanks man! And nice ride
    Sh3ngLong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Haha I was just going to use the default camera app. Figured I'd put my phone in the mount when I get in the car, launch the camera and start recording 1080p/30fps footage to my SD Card. Just stop it when I get parked.

Figured out that with this phone, a 15 minute recording takes up about 1.5-2.0GB of space. So with a 64GB SD Card you should have enough storage to record pretty much any driving trip you make short of going cross country.
    I like to use the app linked below. One thing I like is you can set for default mic off so you don't record cab sound. Also, when you play back on your phone you can see your speed via GPS.

Thanked by:
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.

Thanks, DaRk. Glad I can help.

Well my mount came in the mail and I unpacked it and messed around with it to get used to it. I'm finding that it doesn't fit my phone too comfortably when I have the Seidio ACTIVE case installed. Have to remove it to set it in nice and snug in the mount. This is ok, and I'm not too worried about this, but my concern is in how well it will stay suctioned to my windshield. I already had it fall over phone-face-first when testing it on my desk thankfully the fall was only a foot or so and it doesn't appear to have sustained any noticeable damage, but it was certainly a heart-stopper for me as I baby my phone lol

Anyways the build quality seems nice on it, and I can't wait to get it setup in my car tonight for a test spin. Hopefully this freezing cold doesn't have an impact on how well it stays suctioned to the glass... not ready for round 2 of my phone taking a nose dive >: (

Will update later.

Quote Originally Posted by KahneFan View Post
    I like to use the app linked below. One thing I like is you can set for default mic off so you don't record cab sound. Also, when you play back on your phone you can see your speed via GPS.

Thanks I checked out that app and love it. Took a little to get it setup properly but now it does 100% exactly what I want. Basically, I wanted to be able to record video with MPH logging all in the background. This allows me to use to toggle my screens display. This helps avoid any pixel burn out from displaying the same exact layout on screen for minutes or even hours on end.

So thanks for the tip! Hopefully you can get some use out of that screen standby app to help your battery life and display life!

And now my update from last night.

This unit is great! It's 12 degrees outside all night long and it stayed stuck to my windshield no problem! Usually the cold presents a huge problem for these suction cup mounts but man that thing stayed glued to my windshield the whole night. I'm fairly confident now that it is nice and stable

I also took it for a test spin last night to see how well that Daily Roads Voyager app worked, and it is PERFECT! I have it all setup just the way I need it and in combination with 2 widgets for my screen standby app, I can toggle the background recording from my homescreen then hit my 1x1 screen off widget toggle and off I go driving with the screen off and recording in 1080p goodness!

Now I don't know for sure if this is just the app (Voyager) or the camera but as far as night time dash cam usage goes, the quality is a bit on the subpar side. I peaked at 14 frames per second on a 10 minute drive with only 7mbps bit rate instead of the camcorders usual 17mbps. Huge difference in quality but I believe I know why. Being so dark at night, it needs slower shutter speeds in order to get light into the camera. And the bit rate is dynamic, so it only raises for what it needs. Being that the majority of the image is black the bit rate was adjusted to lower to save space with a higher compression factor.

Anyways today I will be giving it another shot in daylight and I am expecting it to perform even better This mount as Sh3ng posted in his video has absolutely no vibration whatsoever. I drive a Mazda 3 and the roads in my town in NJ are a mess this time of year. The cold and the ice really do a number on them. And believe me when I say there was 0 vibration in my dash cam, none at all. Totally impressed with this mount and would highly recommend it to any Galaxy Note 2 owner for sure.

Last edited by DaRkL3AD3R; 01-23-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12