New iBOLT Note II active car-dock available for preorder

greatg67

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone from Canada been able to order this. Unfortunately Amazon.com will not ship to Canada. If anyone has another online source that would be appreciated.

Angry_American

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I read differently, between this thread and the other thread about the old iBolt Galaxy S III dock. The early Jelly Bean update for SOME INTERNATIONAL versions of the Galaxy S III phone removed this feature. The feature was restored in Jelly Bean updates for all U.S. carriers, and then I believe was added back in for later International updates for countries that got it later than the original international update. (I'm not entirely sure it was added back to the international version, but I thought so, but I do know for sure it was included in all U.S. carrier updates.)

There were several reports with the old SIII specific dock from people where it did not put the phone into car mode, and they got a replacement dock and it worked, so it's possible people could get defective units of the new dock in this respect too.

Also, the above is all in regards to the S III. I guess I don't really know about the Note II, but after the stink with trying to remove it from the S III and adding it back in, I'd have a hard time believing that it would get removed from the Note II.

I never stated the note 2 would not have car mode, however in the future Samsung has decided to get rid of car mode. Whether thats for future devices or for future updates on existing devices I have no idea. That being said, ibolt stated earlier in this thread that because Samsung was getting rid of car mode that they would not be implementing it on the dock and instead would use dock mode.

[post edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, CRAP! Keeping my fingers crossed I guess. Or the combo cable by itself better be DARN CHEAP.

Yeah that's a bit shady on ibolts part.. I'm part of the pre-order crowd, getting my arm this week and aux/usb in March, so i can't complain. Also, i don't use dock mode in the car, maybe I'll check it out, but i don't have any issues pressing dock mode button on the phone.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
e6u4y7ar.jpg

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
Received my charging arm today.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
pazapede.jpg
I used my ibolt for the first time with the arm this morning and I am very happy. Very easy to plug my phone in now plus,,, when I just plugged cord in without the arm my phone app would not be in landscape mode when I needed to make a call,, that would bother me. I was just pleastly surprised to find out that my phone is now in landscape mode when the arm Is plugged in. This just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to get the cord in march. Then i will be able to put the dock to the left of my steering wheel,, my aux out cable does not reach. Hmm, maybe I will just go buy a long aux out cable for now.. I do have a little tiny bluetooth speaker I can plug into the aux in my car. Thats another option.

clh42

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
[edited by moderator]

I never stated the note 2 would not have car mode, however in the future Samsung has decided to get rid of car mode. Whether thats for future devices or for future updates on existing devices I have no idea. That being said, ibolt stated earlier in this thread that because Samsung was getting rid of car mode that they would not be implementing it on the dock and instead would use dock mode.

I admit, I missed this statement in an earlier post by the iBolt representative:
Since Samsung have dropped support for the dedicated car-mode we are switching and using the "SmartDock mode" (as Samsung calls it) instead. Essentially the same but the default screen works differently.
But the way I read your original post:
As per a previous post the dock will not do car mode as Samsung is discontinuing this feature.
and since I didn't recall the earlier MikaelPe post quoted above, I thought you were saying here that Samsung completely removed a dock feature, which I knew wasn't true. I do see in your above reply to my post, you do state "and instead would use dock mode", but your original reply about Samsung removing car mode did not include that qualifier (and as I said, I didn't remember the original MikaelPe post).

Also, I simply got confused between the terminology of true "car mode" and the "SmartDock mode". I just knew there was still some sort of dock mode. (I'm still not sure what the difference is. MikaelPe's post even says "Essentially the same..."

So yes, now I see that my comments about what happened with the S III firmware and any thought about that being related to the Note 2 probably have no bearing.

That said, I had GUESSED (I may or may not be correct) that your earlier reply about Samsung removing car mode was in reply to this person's earlier post:
My phone does the dock tone but it just stays on the home screen. I hope this is just me not having a setting checked but that should also be part of the instructions if true.

As I read this person's post, I interpret this (purely my opinion) to mean that his phone did nothing at all (beyond the beep tone) when he plugged the cable into it. If that's the case, then it's not because of Samsung dropping the car mode. There's still some sort of dock mode (regardless of what it's called) that the phone is supposed to go into when the charging arm cable is plugged into the phone.

It may be due to several other reasons.

I see someone did post with a screen shot of the phone setting to enable dock mode.

I also wanted point out the possibility that he maybe did have a defective dock unit, since it was not unheard of with the gen 1 S III dock.

And I didn't want RLLangley to misinterpret the comment about Samsung removing car mode and think that perhaps his phone is not capable of any type of dock mode, based on my interpretation of his question that his phone did nothing at all when plugged in to the dock. It still has a dock mode that the phone should switch into. (That goes back to my terminology comment above. I apologize that I confused "car mode" with the new "SmartDock mode".)

Again, I apologize if any of this comes across as an inusult to anyone. That is not my intention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
4. Automatically triggering car-mode. The microUSB arm starts the HTC driving app (see pictures) but on Google Play there's several good apps, including CarHome Ultra, that can be used as a replacement "default" car-home screen. So this is supposed to automatically open an app when plugged in?

Angry_American

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
4. Automatically triggering car-mode. The microUSB arm starts the HTC driving app (see pictures) but on Google Play there's several good apps, including CarHome Ultra, that can be used as a replacement "default" car-home screen. So this is supposed to automatically open an app when plugged in?

If you setup dock mode it will. Or you can use NFC stickers to trigger the events as well.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue getting mine into Smartdock mode when connecting the charging arm. I have checked the box in Settings -> accessories, but it will not start Smartdock. Is there anything I might be missing? I am on Verizon.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I am having an issue getting mine into Smartdock mode when connecting the charging arm. I have checked the box in Settings -> accessories, but it will not start Smartdock. Is there anything I might be missing? I am on Verizon.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
I'm having the same problem... I'm on Sprint.

Sent from the Massive Galaxy Note 2

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I got a phone call from iBolt today to help me with the problem with my dock. It was determined that they shipped the wrong charging arm. The right one should be labeled SAM on the little sticker.

I must say I was impressed at getting a phone call and quick resolution. Thanks Kim at iBolt.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I got a phone call from iBolt today to help me with the problem with my dock. It was determined that they shipped the wrong charging arm. The right one should be labeled SAM on the little sticker.

I must say I was impressed at getting a phone call and quick resolution. Thanks Kim at iBolt.

They are good. I have been talking to them for 4 days now about a bike charger with the same dock. They think it's a great idea.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

Mine is labeled UNS. This may explain why it doesn't work.

Sent from the Massive Galaxy Note 2

Ed270

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow talk about easy I called spoke to Kim she said she would send the correct cable out and apologized for the mix up. No voicemail or automated phone system and someone who spoke English :thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow