Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  • 5 Post By DAS
  • 2 Post By DaRkL3AD3R
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Default Bigger screen=less privacy?

I am thinking about the GN2 for my next upgrade and everything about the phone seems great.
    The battery life and speed is what intrigues me the most. What I am worried about is with the screen being as big as it is do you ever worry about how easy it is for someone sitting next to you to see what you're doing on your phone? The reviews I've seen the viewing angles are pretty clear.

I would rather not have lingering eyes reading my text messages and looking at photos or what sites I'm browsing.
    If it really is that easy to peer over to this might be a dealbreaker for me...

Owner's thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Default Re: Bigger screen=less privacy?

Ok basically here's the thing.

Yes, viewing angles on this display are pretty much as good as it's going to get. So someone sitting next to you viewing your screen at even say a 120 degree angle, could see whats on the screen with relative ease.

Yes, having a larger screen will make it harder to "hide" what you're viewing from nearby strangers. If you're worried about text, I wouldn't be too concerned as you'd have to still be in pretty close proximity to be able to actually read, unless the stranger has incredible vision. But for the sake of websites and images/videos/etc, there really is no hiding. It's a large display, no way around that fact.

So yes, if you're concerned about someone sitting next to you watching what you're doing, this probably isn't the phone for you. That being said however I will say this. Even if you go with a small phone, say a 4.0" one, it's still pretty easy to see images on the screen and discern what it is. The problem will always be there, its just made that much easier for people to notice with the larger screen.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Just get a privacy screen protector. You can only see the screen when you are in front of it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Jussumguy88 likes this.

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    touch wiz

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Just get a privacy screen protector. You can only see the screen when you are in front of it

We have these on the computers at my. Job.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

You can also reduce the font size. The fonts on my N2 are actually smaller than the ones on my wife's S3 thanks to the settings. Someone would have to get really close, which would be very noticeable, to read most things on my phone.

Yes! I gripe about this all the time. One particular family member of mine is constantly looking at my text messages. I have confronted them numerous times and the reply is always the same: "I can't help it the screen is so big and it is so easy to see the texts". I drives me absolutely insane!! One of the only few issues I have with the phone.

You could have a friend send a text about something embarrasing that will make the gawker think twice about having nosy eyes. Could be about an infection or a body... use your imagination.
    Vzn Samsung Galaxy S-III "The Locked Edition" Jelly Bean w/Butta!
    Former Palm Treo/Centro/Pre+/Pre2 user.

Global Posts
    10,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Pshhh. Just multi window two apps and put the private app below.....solved lol.
    DAS

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

I would think it was just rude to have someone peering over at your screen to see what you're doing on your phone. I cannot think of one instance in which I have ever stared over at someone's text message, website, or even game they were playing on their phone without being invited to do so.

I sat at a basketball game the other night, and had my Note 2 in my hand browsing the scores of other games, and texting a friend throughout. The person sitting next to me I think glance for a moment, more instinctively, when I initially pull the phone out and the display came on. However, I do not recall the young lady staring or trying to peek at what I was doing.

Somebody trying to look at what you're doing on your device is just being rude, and you should address them accordingly. If a person has the desire to act so rudely it won't be limited to this device. They would be rude no matter which phone or tablet you might be using.

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I would think it was just rude to have someone peering over at your screen to see what you're doing on your phone. I cannot think of one instance in which I have ever stared over at someone's text message, website, or even game they were playing on their phone without being invited to do so.

I sat at a basketball game the other night, and had my Note 2 in my hand browsing the scores of other games, and texting a friend throughout. The person sitting next to me I think glance for a moment, more instinctively, when I initially pull the phone out and the display came on. However, I do not recall the young lady staring or trying to peek at what I was doing.

Somebody trying to look at what you're doing on your device is just being rude, and you should address them accordingly. If a person has the desire to act so rudely it won't be limited to this device. They would be rude no matter which phone or tablet you might be using.
    Definitely agree. But we are a dying breed, good mannered people with respect. There are plenty of snoopy people out there you better believe it. And as much as I agree it's proper to address the problem, it's easier said than done. You never know who you might be telling off.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    almath and Lastnv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Pshhh. Just multi window two apps and put the private app below.....solved lol.
    No multi window available yet on ATT

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    You could have a friend send a text about something embarrasing that will make the gawker think twice about having nosy eyes. Could be about an infection or a body... use your imagination.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Totally slipped my mind. Found this one and it looks like the best one on Amazon.
    I'm worried about how much it will hinder screen brightness, I heard the phone isn't as bright as some people would have expected.

Link to the screen protector? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lastnv View Post
    Totally slipped my mind. Found this one and it looks like the best one on Amazon.
    I'm worried about how much it will hinder screen brightness, I heard the phone isn't as bright as some people would have expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithb2real View Post
    Link to the screen protector? ?
    "This one" = Amazon.com: EMPIRE Privacy Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note II: Electronics

thanks!!!

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Please review these when you guys get them in sure others would like to hear about them. I was thinking these dont need to be permanently installed. Like keep them b inside the case behind the phone and when in public and you need privacy tape or hold these on top of the screen.

If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy108 View Post
    Yes! I gripe about this all the time. One particular family member of mine is constantly looking at my text messages. I have confronted them numerous times and the reply is always the same: "I can't help it the screen is so big and it is so easy to see the texts". I drives me absolutely insane!! One of the only few issues I have with the phone.
    Keep yo own phone then bro Lol. Problem solved

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I live in NYC, and use the subway to get to work and I have never experienced anyone trying to see what I am doing on my phone. You must have some real nosey people in your city. I would be more worried about privacy if I had a table than the Note 2.
    Last edited by blitz118; 12-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Keep yo own phone then bro Lol. Problem solved

I don't get it...
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Please review these when you guys get them in sure others would like to hear about them. I was thinking these dont need to be permanently installed. Like keep them b inside the case behind the phone and when in public and you need privacy tape or hold these on top of the screen.

I for sure will when I get it
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy108 View Post
    I don't get it...
    Don't let the nosey family member use yo phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Don't let the nosey family member use yo phone.

Ohhhhhh ya they just glance at it when sitting on the couch or whatever. They say it's like a car crash they can't NOT look!

I find it harder for someone to read your screen if you change it to a lower DPI and change the font size to tiny. Not only you get more screen space but also make snooping harder. I have mine set to 240 DPI which is a huge improvement from the stock 320.