My big camera gripe: flash images are blue and overexposed.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was at a party the other night and tried to use flash for candid portraits. After a couple of shots I realized I was wasting my time using flash as the results were horrific. I didn't take the time at the party to try other options so I ended up without any pictures. The next day I spent some time tinkering with the settings and so far, the only option I've found that gives half-way decent exposure is the "Party/Indoor" scene mode. Secondly, I was shocked to find no way, within the camera app, to modify the temperature or other parameters. I ended up downloading Photo Edit, which works quite well, but even that won't salvage the shots I took with flash (before I learned of Party/Indoor mode).

Has anyone else noticed that default-settings flash images result in bluish, overexposed skintones?

Last edited:

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that default-settings flash images result in bluish, overexposed skintones?

WOW! That's for sure!! I tried in a few different locations and still the ugly blue. I was able to color-correct the shots, but not to exactly how it should look.

I would be interested in any ideas as well!

BTW, is "Photo Edit", the same as Samsung's stock "Photo Editor"? I had to download "Photo Editor" from XDA forums because it wasn't included on my Note 2 (Not sure if it was Verizon that omitted it, or all carriers).

Lastly, there's a new photo editing app that's gaining popularity and it's kinda cool called Snapseed. Check it out.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the stock editor. it's not on my phone.

I'm using the one from the Play Store by macgyver

thanks. snapseed is interesting!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks so much! I installed that app and have already tried it. it works great! easier for me, at least, than using the other two apps and I love that it is available from the camera app. you made my day

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
thanks so much! I installed that app and have already tried it. it works great! easier for me, at least, than using the other two apps and I love that it is available from the camera app. you made my day

Not a problem!

That's what I love about this forum - everyone helping each other!

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
That app Jody is talking about, the stock photo edit app, wasn't on my Sprint note 2 either. It is available free on the Samsung app store though. That should be on your note 2. I downloaded it from there. Works great, and is available by hitting menu-advanced edit as was said above. It's also the only way i've found so far to draw on the actual image, rather than the back. There are times during the week that I want to circle certain areas of a picture to make it either for the person receiving to understand what I am asking about. This is the best way i've found to do that. However its still a lot of steps. Take the pic, gallery, menu, advanced edit, draw, save, gallery, share.

I've noticed the blue problem as well. I forgot all about indoor mode, so thanks for that. I'm not a picture buff, so that works well enough for me.

Edit: Sorry, what I found was low light. I assume it cranks up the ISO, and does't use the flash. Is that what you were talking about? I don't see an Indoor mode in the camera options or scenes etc.

pwinegardner

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Let's get back to the original problem if we could please. The white balance is terribly off on the Note 2 camera when using the flash. Regardless if you use AWB, or Incandescent. or Fluorescent - or switch to Party/Indoor mode, there's still a dominant blue cast to the photo when using the camera's flash. My old Thunderbolt takes a much better indoor flash picture than the Note - with no editing required. Otherwise, the camera seems very good (for a phone). Great outdoor shots. Is it possible I've got bad hardware or is this a problem for everyone?

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This is the best way i've found to do that. However its still a lot of steps. Take the pic, gallery, menu, advanced edit, draw, save, gallery, share.

Try this - it is a few less steps:

Hold the button on the S-pen

Press and hold the screen you want to draw on (i.e. make sure the photo is showing on-screen)

The phone takes a snapshot and instantly allows you to draw on the pic. (Make sure no extraneous menus are on-screen or those will be on the snaphot as well!)

Save

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Let's get back to the original problem if we could please. The white balance is terribly off on the Note 2 camera when using the flash. Regardless if you use AWB, or Incandescent. or Fluorescent - or switch to Party/Indoor mode, there's still a dominant blue cast to the photo when using the camera's flash. My old Thunderbolt takes a much better indoor flash picture than the Note - with no editing required. Otherwise, the camera seems very good (for a phone). Great outdoor shots. Is it possible I've got bad hardware or is this a problem for everyone?

Probably for everyone - or else it's a coincidence that us 3 or 4 have it!!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That app Jody is talking about, the stock photo edit app, wasn't on my Sprint note 2 either. It is available free on the Samsung app store though. That should be on your note 2. I downloaded it from there. Works great, and is available by hitting menu-advanced edit as was said above. It's also the only way i've found so far to draw on the actual image, rather than the back. There are times during the week that I want to circle certain areas of a picture to make it either for the person receiving to understand what I am asking about. This is the best way i've found to do that. However its still a lot of steps. Take the pic, gallery, menu, advanced edit, draw, save, gallery, share.

I've noticed the blue problem as well. I forgot all about indoor mode, so thanks for that. I'm not a picture buff, so that works well enough for me.

Edit: Sorry, what I found was low light. I assume it cranks up the ISO, and does't use the flash. Is that what you were talking about? I don't see an Indoor mode in the camera options or scenes etc.
it's the Party/Indoor Scene mode. it's listed right after Sports and before Beach/Snow. see it?

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
it's the Party/Indoor Scene mode. it's listed right after Sports and before Beach/Snow. see it?

Yea I found it in the camera menu after some digging. Thanks. With that on, I'm not seeing the blue. I took a photo of a pack of smokes (white) and a wallet (black) in a semi light room at night time with indoor mode, low light, and auto. Low light was the best, indoor was still good, and auto okay. Auto was the only one I could notice a blue tint. Might be a hardware problem. Or Im just not enough of a picture buff to notice

TJB

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes, mine does the same when using the flash. Pictures are better without it.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed the setting to edit shortcuts. helpful to have those on the screen so you can quickly change between all of the options.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i tried that but they don't "stick". do yours?

in the camera app....settings---edit shortcuts---drag the shortcut to replace the one on the bar----touch screen or back button....dont touch the icon at the bottom right(circle arrow thing), that puts back the old one.....

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
that didn't work. I changed a shortcut, clicked on the screen to get rid of the menu. then I closed the app by long-pressing the home button, long pressed on Camera, and selected "Remove From List". the defaults are now back in place.

I give up. I even tried clearing Camera Data. tried again to save shortcuts. no dice, once the app is removed from memory.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Try using daylight white balance and minus exposure value.

I do agree that the blue flash images are very disappointing.

Hopefully Samsung will offer a flash white balance setting tat will correct the blue.

About the overexposure, we'll have to be aware of hw close we are to our subjects...ad use the exposure value adjustment appropriate to that distance.