Text Message Display - Help appreciated
If you select a text message thread from the list of threads available, on the very top it list the persons name you are texting with. In the thread next to the person's name there is also the person's phone number. With my ATT version some of the threads show the person's number listed as 555-555-5555 and others as +1 555-555-5555. Anyone know why this is? I looked at the contacts and there is no difference in the format the contact information is saved, yet the text threads display the numbers differently. Thanks
- 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM #2
- 12-21-2012, 04:48 PM #4
Re: Text Message Display - Help appreciated
Well, I may have found a solution. This has been bugging the p*ss out of me, too. I kept digging and digging and came up with the following fix, though I don't yet know exactly what causes it to begin with. (Note: I'm non-rooted on AT&T.)
- Go into Contacts and select a contact that is having the +1 format problem in his/her message headers.
- Tap the "messages" icon next to their cell phone number to start a new text message.
- Send a message ("test" or whatever else you want to say) to that person.
- After it sends, go back into your SMS messages list and select that person's message thread.
- The number at the top should now be formatted correctly (the way you have it in your Google account, if that's what you're using.)
- This continues to be displayed correctly even after restart/reboot.
I tinkered with this for about 45 minutes and it seems to work consistently for me. If you are using a different SMS app (e.g. Handcent, GO, etc.), you will need to choose which one to use when you start the message from your Contact list. I *think* it works with those apps the same way, but I can't say for sure. When I tried it with Go SMS, it seems to get rid of the +1, but the number doesn't include the parentheses like they're displayed in my Google Contacts and in the stock messaging app.
Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
- 12-21-2012, 04:55 PM #5
- 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM #6
- 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM #8
- 12-24-2012, 10:41 PM #9
- By blazebd in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 0Last Post: 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
- By Lodingi in forum Verizon FascinateReplies: 2Last Post: 02-13-2011, 04:33 PM
- By Northstar_69 in forum Verizon Droid IncredibleReplies: 0Last Post: 09-18-2010, 10:08 PM
- By Lindasueaa in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 3Last Post: 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM
- By markez1972 in forum Motorola DroidReplies: 0Last Post: 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM