Text Message Display - Help appreciated

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you select a text message thread from the list of threads available, on the very top it list the persons name you are texting with. In the thread next to the person's name there is also the person's phone number. With my ATT version some of the threads show the person's number listed as 555-555-5555 and others as +1 555-555-5555. Anyone know why this is? I looked at the contacts and there is no difference in the format the contact information is saved, yet the text threads display the numbers differently. Thanks

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I may have found a solution. This has been bugging the p*ss out of me, too. I kept digging and digging and came up with the following fix, though I don't yet know exactly what causes it to begin with. (Note: I'm non-rooted on AT&T.)

• Go into Contacts and select a contact that is having the +1 format problem in his/her message headers.
  • Tap the "messages" icon next to their cell phone number to start a new text message.
Screenshot_2012-12-21-16-38-59-1_zps6f39ffa3.jpg

• Send a message ("test" or whatever else you want to say) to that person.
  • After it sends, go back into your SMS messages list and select that person's message thread.
  • The number at the top should now be formatted correctly (the way you have it in your Google account, if that's what you're using.)
  • This continues to be displayed correctly even after restart/reboot.

I tinkered with this for about 45 minutes and it seems to work consistently for me. If you are using a different SMS app (e.g. Handcent, GO, etc.), you will need to choose which one to use when you start the message from your Contact list. I *think* it works with those apps the same way, but I can't say for sure. When I tried it with Go SMS, it seems to get rid of the +1, but the number doesn't include the parentheses like they're displayed in my Google Contacts and in the stock messaging app.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It worked. Temporarily. As soon as the person responded, it reverted back to the number with +1 in front of it.

:mad:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

That's strange. It stays put for me. Did you try restarting? Try it again but after you send the text, exit the app then go back in before you read the reply.

Very odd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am confused...
So if you text someone the way you explain, you won't have the +1, but if you receive a text or if you text someone in a different method then you described you will have the +1?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Chomp doesn't display the numbers. That's the only app I know of that doesn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2