Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.

Just a general question only sort of related to the OP, but why does one charge their phone and then leave it off of the charger all night while they are sleeping?

Some people believe the cost savings of leaving the phone off the charger at night are substantial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I had, at one point 10-12 hours of batery life with 3G on all the while. But now, my battery heats up, and I get about 4 hours. I always kill apps on the back ground using the stock task manager.
    I also use power saving mode. Doesn't help at all.
    Do you guys think the battery calibrator apps in play store would help?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Has to be rooted for all of those apps. Battery calibrations only need done after OS or rom changes. I think your problem is elsewhere

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    zef05 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by underdonk View Post
    Just a general question only sort of related to the OP, but why does one charge their phone and then leave it off of the charger all night while they are sleeping?
    It boils down to improved battery health.You're wasting charge cycles because overnight the charger will stop supplying power once the phone reaches 100% so the battery will do it's usual trickling down while idle. The problem is then the charger kicks back in and lightly charges it back up to 100%. Doing this over and over again throughout an 8 hour night is not good for the health of the battery. I myself have noticed it having an impact on the following days battery life.

When I bring my phone down to about 20% and give it a full charge to 100%, with the phone off, that following charge cycle (100% to 20%) is incredibly potent and lasts me almost 3 days straight. Yet with the same usage, if I plug my phone in at like 50% and charge it to 100% overnight, not unplugging it while I sleep, then the following charge cycle is very weak and with the same or even less usage, I run out of battery twice as fast. I do have some screenshots to prove this as well, showing one charge with the same hours of screen on time making it almost 72 hours and hitting 30% battery. Yet on another try I had the screen on for a measly 3.5 hours and yet in less than 24 hours it dropped to the same 30%. Why? Because of the difference in how I charged it the previous night.

I have to think the original poster lives in an area with weak 4G service. Weak service runs down a battery quicker than anything else, in my experience.

Global Posts
    616 Global Posts

Default Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.

Gsam battery monitor is your friend. DL it. Understand it. Post screenies. Those yellow splotches under your battery. Not good. That means bad phone signal.

Sent from my hookah via hash cloud.

Carrier
    Stock

Will it be bad or will it hurt if I charge it every night with the phone off every time?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,995 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    Will it be bad or will it hurt if I charge it every night with the phone off every time?
    Wont hurt it at all. It is good to avoid completely draining li ion batteries, at least that is what the wiki says.

Quote Originally Posted by kgk1985 View Post
    Has to be rooted for all of those apps. Battery calibrations only need done after OS or rom changes. I think your problem is elsewhere

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Oh.. ok. Well. I stop all the social networking apps running in the background when i'm using 3G (no LTE or 4G in ny area), thats the H or H+ sign right?
    I guess it still drains the battery if it switches from h or h+, am i right?

Why is this happening.
    I went from 100% to 97% in a span of 25minutes, and all i was doing was reading posts here in the forums! Help please. I wanna cry. This is so frustrating. :-(

I feel bad for the OP. I havent cut my phone back on anything and it runs all day long with plenty to spare. I use quite a few apps as well. Seems like the only time my previous phone would drain like that is when my signal was very poor and it kept looking for signal all the time. I have had zero issues with my Note 2 battery. It has been a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by zef05 View Post
    Why is this happening.
    I went from 100% to 97% in a span of 25minutes, and all i was doing was reading posts here in the forums! Help please. I wanna cry. This is so frustrating. :-(

Do you use wifi at home? Does the battery drain just as fast on wifi if you do use it instead of 3g?

Why is this happening.

This is NORMAL. Having the display on will consume your battery. If you have the screen on for ten hours, your battery will be 100% consumed.
    My iPhone 4S went from 100% to 0% in 4 hours of screen time. It's completely NORMAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrison View Post
    This is NORMAL. Having the display on will consume your battery. If you have the screen on for ten hours, your battery will be 100% consumed.
    My iPhone 4S went from 100% to 0% in 4 hours of screen time. It's completely NORMAL.
    This is correct. The screen is the number one battery drain you will ever experience with your phone, as far as using it goes. This is especially true with AMOLED screens that are on the max brightness viewing web pages with blank white backgrounds. That will kill your battery fast. Very fast. There really isn't any way of avoiding it except to turn the brightness down and if applicable use inverted coloring on web pages. It'll turn the blank white background to black and the black text to white. This will make a huge difference in battery consumption when browsing the web.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Ok everyone, I'm quite tired researching this issue but I have found the problem and solution.

It's because of the high number of wake locks that's preventing the phone from going into deep sleep when at rest. That's whats draining out the battery so fast.
    I also uninstalled the app lock app that was causing a high number of wake locks also. It seems that there is a bug in the OS that's preventing the phone from going into deep sleep mode in-order to conserve battery power.

The fix: Put the phone into airplane mode, reboot the phone, once it's booted up take it off airplane mode.
    The results: AMAZING!!!

I ran a couple of tests to prove it.
    At 4:00pm two days ago the phone was at 91% 3 hours later (No usage in between) 85%. For me that was a BIG difference. Before this type of reboot I was getting an average drop of roughly 6% per hour.
    By doing this I was able to cut that down to a 2% drop per hour. Very nice indeed. The wake lock situation also looks much better as the PowerManagerService was able to kick in now.

Also I was even able to improve on that.
    After I had enabled power-saving mode, at 5:00am the battery was at 63%. 10 hours later at 3:00pm, (Again no usage in-between), usually by now it would be dead but it was at 49%. That's 1.4% battery drain per hour. Much better.

I guess if it starts to drain fast again I'll just have to do that procedure again but at least I was able to find a fix and share it with you all. (I don't take credit for it)
    Hopefully this gets fixed in the next update.

Here's some screen shots showing the improvement after the reboot. Before I was getting 14h 33m on a full charge. Now it's 1 day, 7hours. That over twice an improvement in battery life. Yeah! I'm loving this phone now!

Let me know if this fixes your power drain issues too.

Thanks everyone for all your replies and suggestions. The android community is a very good one indeed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.-screenshot_2012-12-26-23-00-21-1-.png   Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.-screenshot_2012-12-27-04-51-14-1-.png  
    mikehoff99 likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

I guess the next question is, should I root my phone?

I did the airplane mode trick and I have to say I have seen a vast improvement of my battery life as well. I do not know why or how it works but it does

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

My battery life has been awesome:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 running CleanROM 3.5 w/MultiView and Perseus Alpha29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.-uploadfromtaptalk1356628694762.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by brownguy View Post
    I did the airplane mode trick and I have to say I have seen a vast improvement of my battery life as well. I do not know why or how it works but it does
    It basically shuts off your phone and radio. You will save battery life but won't be able to receive any phone calls.

I meant turned airplane mode on, restarted phone, turned airplane mode off. Since I did that my battery life has improved. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post earlier.

Here's my best battery life with heavy use. Tons of Facebooking, lots of Internet browsing and a couple hours of streaming video.

Almost 52 hours! To be fair this was with my screen turned all the way down when indoors and I only turned on bluetooth/gps when I actually used it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.-screenshot_2012-12-23-20-52-34.png   Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.-screenshot_2012-12-23-20-47-40.png  

Guys. Is it normal to drain 1% per minute when all I do is read books in my kindle app. No data. But cell coverage is on.
    I guess not because before, it takes about a day and a half to get down to 15% now, just a few hours of rrading, anfd I'm done.
    I did the airport trick. But still the same.

Guys. Is it normal to drain 1% per minute when all I do is read books in my kindle app. No data. But cell coverage is on.
    I guess not because before, it takes about a day and a half to get down to 15% now, just a few hours of rrading, anfd I'm done.
    I did the airport trick. But still the same.

A lot depends on screen brightness, etc. There is also power saving that has a lot of options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I've set the brightness to the lowest, but still same. Is there an app where the coverage will stay on H+?? Coz I think thats the culprit.
    Also. I went hiking yesterday. Took too many photos, data is on all the time, uploaded photos to instagram and my battery life seemed to stay as is. It lasted me noon to midnight with practically raping it by capturing too many photos... i find it wierd coz at home, i only use it for reading ebooks and txting..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast