Terrible, terrible battery life on the Note 2.

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've had my note for a week now and really like it, (Moved over from an iPhone4s).
BUT since I've had it the battery life has been so bad I can't believe that it's normal.
It barely lasts a day with only light surfing with out having to be charged.

I have the power saving feature turned on, wifi on, GPS off, active sync for all accounts turned off and the battery still drains fast.

An example, I had it fully charged to 100% at 1:30am, disconnected it from the charger, left it alone, the screen auto turned off. By 6:30am 5 hours later it was at 70%. That's crazy, something is going on.

Does anyone know of any monitoring apps that I can use to see what's going on while it's supposed to be in sleep mode.

I also have the golauncher installed, not sure if it's causing issues but the battery life was this bad even before I had installed that.

Also too, when I first got the phone, I didn't charge it for 24hours before first using it. How bad it that? Would that have had an effect on the battery? I know it mattered in the past, having to need to do a full charge first. Is that still needed to do?

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes something is very wrong. I don't know off hand, but if you search battery in the forum thread or even go down the topic list a bit you will see numerous threads which are very helpful. Good luck.

awilliamspharmd

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've had my note for a week now and really like it, (Moved over from an iPhone4s).
BUT since I've had it the battery life has been so bad I can't believe that it's normal.

I have the power saving feature turned on, wifi on, GPS off, active sync for all accounts turned off and the battery still drains fast.

An example, I had it fully charged to 100% at 1:30am, disconnected it from the charger, left it alone, the screen auto turned off. By 6:30am 5 hours later it was at 70%. That's crazy, something is going on.

Does anyone know of any monitoring apps that I can use to see what's going on while it's supposed to be in sleep mode.

I also have the golauncher installed, not sure if it's causing issues but the battery life was this bad even before I had installed that.

Also too, when I first got the phone, I didn't charge it for 24hours before first using it. How bad it that? Would that have had an effect on the battery? I know it mattered in the past, having to need to do a full charge first. Is that still needed to do?
The not charging it part should be fine, there is no "memory" per say on the new li-on batteries. Their life span is based on charge cycles, so from 0-100% would be one cycle and each battery has a certain amount before it starts losing charge. I would suggest downloading an app called Better Battery Stats and letting it run while unplugged. This can tell you if your phone is getting to deep sleep, and if it's not, what is waking it up. The battery life on the note should be amazing. This is the first phone ive had since the flip phone days that can go for more than one day if not charged overnight

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, something is wrong... but you already knew that. :)

FWIW, I can make it almost 20 hours with moderate usage and a less-than-perfect LTE reception. Looking at battery statistics in the settings menu should give a good indication of the culprit(s). I've noticed that many of this year's Christmas-themed live wallpapers seem to be complete battery killers. I would probably start there. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Welcome to AC. Can you post a screen shot please. Thanks a million. Two shots, usage analysis and screen on time. That would help us to better help you.

EarleD

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
wow thats horrible battery life. I can go all day. crazy surfing the web, 2 movies, various utube, and still go to bed with 30-40% left

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, please give us screenshots of your Battery page and then of the Screen on time page. You can find this under Settings -> Battery, and then by tapping the Screen tab in the list of items using your battery up. It's probably at the top of the list.

To take a screenshot press and hold Home and Power buttons at the same time until you see a white border flash around the edges and you hear a snapshot sound.

Then upload them both here so we can look at your battery usage, and screen on time.

I'm willing to be that what's killing your battery overnight is very poor signal quality. If this is the case the best solution is to put the phone into Airplane mode overnight and when you wake up you should see literally 0% battery loss. The downside is you won't be able to receive emergency calls.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes definitely not normal, I read all about the great battery life the Note 2 was suppose to have before I bought mine, really took that information with a grain of salt as for the last 5 Android based phone I have owned were some where between horrible and just acceptable. After owning this phone (Note 2) for the past 17 days I am amazed at the battery life, well exceeded my expectations. Yesterday, phone off charger at 7:30am 100% this morning at 10:30 am 21%. That's 27 hours with 4.5 hours screen on time, LTE and wifi mixed, 48 minutes of phone calls and a while lot of Internet time sitting in the mall waiting on the women to get done shopping :)

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The battery is draining very fast and that's with little usage during the day. The screen was not even on very much.

Here's an example.
Yesterday at around 2:00pm the battery was at 46%.
I put it into sleep mode and didn't use it at all afterwards.
I tried to turn it on at 10:00am this morning and the battery was dead.

That's crazy.

I am using the avast antivirus app on it but I don't think it's the issue.

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not really sure how to interpret the colours.
Are the "blue" areas periods of activity?
Regarding the Mobile network signal, is the "gray" areas when it's poor, "green" when it's a good signal, and "yellow" when it's very poor and "black" when it's off or no signal?.

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes definitely not normal, I read all about the great battery life the Note 2 was suppose to have before I bought mine, really took that information with a grain of salt as for the last 5 Android based phone I have owned were some where between horrible and just acceptable. After owning this phone (Note 2) for the past 17 days I am amazed at the battery life, well exceeded my expectations. Yesterday, phone off charger at 7:30am 100% this morning at 10:30 am 21%. That's 27 hours with 4.5 hours screen on time, LTE and wifi mixed, 48 minutes of phone calls and a while lot of Internet time sitting in the mall waiting on the women to get done shopping :)
Wow that's great. That's what I need to get working on my phone.
Can you tell me please, what apps normally do you have running in the background if anything.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The battery is draining very fast and that's with little usage during the day. The screen was not even on very much.

Here's an example.
Yesterday at around 2:00pm the battery was at 46%.
I put it into sleep mode and didn't use it at all afterwards.
I tried to turn it on at 10:00am this morning and the battery was dead.

That's crazy.

I am using the avast antivirus app on it but I don't think it's the issue.

Your screen was on two hours and you are at over 14 hours usage. You are charging and at 98%. For the note 2, that isn't good. However, you can post screen shots without charging, and post the applications useage screen shot. Poor network signals will zap any device. I would kill your data in poor signal areas and that should get you back to 24 hour plus days.

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The not charging it part should be fine, there is no "memory" per say on the new li-on batteries. Their life span is based on charge cycles, so from 0-100% would be one cycle and each battery has a certain amount before it starts losing charge. I would suggest downloading an app called Better Battery Stats and letting it run while unplugged. This can tell you if your phone is getting to deep sleep, and if it's not, what is waking it up. The battery life on the note should be amazing. This is the first phone ive had since the flip phone days that can go for more than one day if not charged overnight

Ok, I have installed Better Battery Stats and have it fully charged at 100% at 2:00pm today. I'm going to try and use it at little as possible today to see whats going on. With that app is there a way to to see if it's in-fact going into deep sleep mode?
Thanks!

Shirodx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I also have a 64GB Sandisk SD card installed. I have heard of a media scanner service wake issue but I haven't seen any mounting, un-mounting messages on the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Try going into recovery mode and wiping the cache too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Would this wipe all my apps, data, and settings?

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you have sprint? ty service could be the culprit. Searching for service will kill a battery just as fast as leaving the screen on

sent from Galaxy Note 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I also have a 64GB Sandisk SD card installed. I have heard of a media scanner service wake issue but I haven't seen any mounting, un-mounting messages on the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Would this wipe all my apps, data, and settings?

No

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums