Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fishbelly
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Customising advice please

    Hi Guys

    I am new to Android coming from iphone so tell me why do you customise i appreciate it gives the phone a different look I quite like it as it comes but I saw Coldfustions channel and loved the way he did his but on his tutorial a setting he uses doesn't come up so I aborted it.

    Does anyone have an EASY to follow tutorial using Go launcher, Live wallpers, simple text etc, that I could try out

    and how do you change between the stock and the custom and if you don't like the custom will deleting all of the apps for this just take it back to stock?

    Thanks

    Andy
  2. #2  
    jdub1981's Avatar

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts
    ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Personally I use live wallpapers and hd widgets. I really like the clock customization. Plus you touch different sections of the clock things like alarms and calenders auto open.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    There may be some tutorials on you tube but i just played around until i found what i liked. I am running Nova. You can import the Touchwiz screens if you like the layout.

    When you install a new launcher the stock launcher is still there. You can set one or another as default, or toggle between them.
    Customising advice please-uploadfromtaptalk1356906102369.jpg

    Here is my current home screen with Nova. My dock is also customized and had two screens of my most used apps.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Thanks for the repies guys I just wouldn't know where to start and how to do it

    I really like how that guy Coldfustion has set his up I think he uses go launcher, live wallpaers and simple text but not having done it before i would probably ruin it !!!!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    I don't believe Go Launcher is ideal for Note 2. It just felt laggy on my phone. And my S3 phone as well. But oddly it so fluid on my older MyTouch 4G. Nova and Apex is great launcher for ICS and above devices.

    I remember somewhere that Nova can use Go Launcher themes. Correct me if I am wrong

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    I really like live wallpapers too, but they are a bit of a battery drain and most are a little buggy. At least the ones I have tried. In the end you go with what you like, that's the beauty of this OS.
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by andy a View Post
    Thanks for the repies guys I just wouldn't know where to start and how to do it

    I really like how that guy Coldfustion has set his up I think he uses go launcher, live wallpaers and simple text but not having done it before i would probably ruin it !!!!

    Customizing with launchers, wallpapers, widgets, etc. doesn't require rooting, so don't worry about 'ruining' it. You can very easily put things back the way they were before.

    As far as why to customize - for me, it's about making the phone mine - laid out the way I want to work the way I want & in an enjoyable way. Since you're coming from iOS, it may be a bit overwhelming at first because of all the limitations in iOS, but just take it a little at a time. Before you know it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner (plus it's just fun).

    Start with a launcher because that's kind of like the foundation. Try (play) with the settings in the launcher to see how you want it laid out. Then move on to wallpapers, widgets & so on, again, one at a time to see how you like each.

    If you get stuck with anything, just come back here & search to see if it's been discussed before. If not, just ask. There's a lot of help available here.

    Have fun!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by nlitenme View Post
    Customizing with launchers, wallpapers, widgets, etc. doesn't require rooting, so don't worry about 'ruining' it. You can very easily put things back the way they were before.

    As far as why to customize - for me, it's about making the phone mine - laid out the way I want to work the way I want & in an enjoyable way. Since you're coming from iOS, it may be a bit overwhelming at first because of all the limitations in iOS, but just take it a little at a time. Before you know it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner (plus it's just fun).

    Start with a launcher because that's kind of like the foundation. Try (play) with the settings in the launcher to see how you want it laid out. Then move on to wallpapers, widgets & so on, again, one at a time to see how you like each.

    If you get stuck with anything, just come back here & search to see if it's been discussed before. If not, just ask. There's a lot of help available here.

    Have fun!
    That's great advice and very reassuring thanks I will have a go at what you said launcher first though I will have no idea what to do

    Andy
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by andy a View Post
    That's great advice and very reassuring thanks I will have a go at what you said launcher first though I will have no idea what to do

    Andy

    After you download the launcher, run it & then go thru the settings one by one, seeing what each does.

    Don't be nervous, after a few minutes, you're gonna get the hang of it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Well I downloaded apex launcher last night and without me doing a thing to my phone it changed the way it looked and when I swiped a window across it went the opposite way and I hated it and panicked as I thought I would never get it back to normal so I deleted it straight away what am I like hey how would I have just changed it to use the stock launcher?

    Andy

    Quote Originally Posted by nlitenme View Post
    After you download the launcher, run it & then go thru the settings one by one, seeing what each does.

    Don't be nervous, after a few minutes, you're gonna get the hang of it.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by andy a View Post
    Well I downloaded apex launcher last night and without me doing a thing to my phone it changed the way it looked and when I swiped a window across it went the opposite way and I hated it and panicked as I thought I would never get it back to normal so I deleted it straight away what am I like hey how would I have just changed it to use the stock launcher?

    Andy

    Just like I said before, go into the settings (menu button) & see what each one does.

    And don't panic, just breath.
  12. #12  
    Fishbelly's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Jneusch,

    Where did you get that awesome clock/weather widget? I love the look of the off-center cirlcles and the fact it allows you to see more of the wallpaper in the background. I know you said you use Nova, but I didn't see this in Nova when I installed it yesterday.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbelly View Post
    Jneusch,

    Where did you get that awesome clock/weather widget? I love the look of the off-center cirlcles and the fact it allows you to see more of the wallpaper in the background. I know you said you use Nova, but I didn't see this in Nova when I installed it yesterday.
    It's in the Play Store. One More Clock is the name of the app. I loved the Circles widget on the Razr Maxx HD, which this one is very similar to that. It has some cool features too. You can customize different actions based on where you touch the widget. For example if you touch the clock it can open the alarm clock, the weather opens your choice of weather apps, battery opens battery in settings, etc. There are a lot of things you can add.
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
  14. #14  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    976 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by andy a View Post
    Well I downloaded apex launcher last night and without me doing a thing to my phone it changed the way it looked and when I swiped a window across it went the opposite way and I hated it and panicked as I thought I would never get it back to normal so I deleted it straight away what am I like hey how would I have just changed it to use the stock launcher?

    Andy
    @ Andy. It's not necessary that you download a new launcher. For the vast majority of folks using the Note 2, I'd say most are using the Samsung's Touchwiz launcher which came installed.

    My process is:

    1. Remove everything from all my homescreens (start with a blank canvas).
    2. Delete all homescreens except two
    3. Download all my favorite apps.
    4. Change wallpaper
    5. Place and arrange apps & widgets onto the two homescreens based on my preferences.
    6. Create folders for apps of similar or the same category (i.e. financial, media, games, etc.)

    Of course, you can have/use as many homescreens as fits your liking, but for me I only use two.
  15. #15  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    976 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Customising advice please-uploadfromtaptalk1356988798094.jpg   Customising advice please-uploadfromtaptalk1356988807498.jpg  
  16. #16  
    Fishbelly's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Thanks so much Jneusch. I found it and like it quite a bit for it's sleek, simple design. Much appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    It's in the Play Store. One More Clock is the name of the app. I loved the Circles widget on the Razr Maxx HD, which this one is very similar to that. It has some cool features too. You can customize different actions based on where you touch the widget. For example if you touch the clock it can open the alarm clock, the weather opens your choice of weather apps, battery opens battery in settings, etc. There are a lot of things you can add.
    jneusch likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Customising advice please

    Hi Das

    thanks for the advice that sounds sensible how do I delet the blank homescreens and if I want them back how do I get them?

    coming from an iphone where we didn't really customise it's a bit different and you might laugh at me here but to me the phone in stock appearance looks fine to me But I saw Coldfustions video on customising and I loved how his phone looked but I tried following it but a setting he used didn't appear for me so I deleted it all so I just don't know what to do or how to do it : ) talk about being a noob but one thing I will say is that I just ADORE this phone! wow what a stunner

    Andy



    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    @ Andy. It's not necessary that you download a new launcher. For the vast majority of folks using the Note 2, I'd say most are using the Samsung's Touchwiz launcher which came installed.

    My process is:

    1. Remove everything from all my homescreens (start with a blank canvas).
    2. Delete all homescreens except two
    3. Download all my favorite apps.
    4. Change wallpaper
    5. Place and arrange apps & widgets onto the two homescreens based on my preferences.
    6. Create folders for apps of similar or the same category (i.e. financial, media, games, etc.)

    Of course, you can have/use as many homescreens as fits your liking, but for me I only use two.

Similar Threads

  1. I just got one! (Advice please)
    By DaveNagy in forum Barnes & Noble Nook Color
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 07:31 AM
  2. Having some battery issues, advice please?
    By omelet1978 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
  3. some advice please?
    By mustang229 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
  4. Spec advice please!
    By joshw9805 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
  5. Physical Keyboard vs. Virtural? ADVICE PLEASE.
    By chrislitzkow in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions