Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Drains Even When Powered Down!

So I'm getting a replacement phone mailed to me, but in the meantime I am just really curious as to whether this is a common problem. On Monday, my phone drained its battery in 5 hours on standby and produced a lot of heat. I tried doing a factory reset without re-installing any of my apps or settings and the problem continued. I eventually realized that even with the phone powered down, the battery still drained. In fact, this morning I charged up an aftermarket battery, put it in and forgot to turn it on, and when I went to check it, it was hot while still off and when I turned it on, the battery had drained to 50% in two hours.

The one thing that worries me is that before this happened, I had tried charging the OEM battery in the aftermarket charger and it didn't charge, so I just returned it to the phone and charged it there. (Which was odd - I'm used to aftermarket batteries not charging in the phone - although these do - but not to OEM batteries not charging in the aftermarket charger)

Any ideas?

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Battery Drains Even When Powered Down!

Sounds like hardware failure to me. Maybe charging in the after market charger killed the battery. Hopefully your new unit will not have this issue. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Similar issue on the 24th. I exchanged the phone and no problems since. The weird thing was, when I went to charge the new phone the first night it had not taken a charge the following morning. I checked the charger with a different device and it had gone bad. This was a charger from another OEM, not aftermarket. It had worked the night before with the defective phone. Thinking back, I don't know whether the charger could have broken the phone or vice versa. The phone got really hot and blew through the OEM battery in a matter of hours.

I chalked it up to a rogue update since I hand't installed anything new, but who knows???
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    Similar issue on the 24th. I exchanged the phone and no problems since. The weird thing was, when I went to charge the new phone the first night it had not taken a charge the following morning. I checked the charger with a different device and it had gone bad. This was a charger from another OEM, not aftermarket. It had worked the night before with the defective phone. Thinking back, I don't know whether the charger could have broken the phone or vice versa. The phone got really hot and blew through the OEM battery in a matter of hours.

I chalked it up to a rogue update since I hand't installed anything new, but who knows???
    In my case, I never used the aftermarket charger on my phone, only on my OEM battery. Otherwise, exact same experience. Unit gets hot and drains battery in 4-5 hours, even when turned off. Just to be safe, I think I will just spend a few more bucks on OEM spare battery+battery charger. I mean, there is no reason the aftermarket stuff would be a problem, but who knows?

Default Battery Drains Even When Powered Down!

Quote Originally Posted by KentCDetrees View Post
    In my case, I never used the aftermarket charger on my phone, only on my OEM battery. Otherwise, exact same experience. Unit gets hot and drains battery in 4-5 hours, even when turned off. Just to be safe, I think I will just spend a few more bucks on OEM spare battery+battery charger. I mean, there is no reason the aftermarket stuff would be a problem, but who knows?
    I have only used the OEM charger since then. I think I will try and get a second one to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

I had exact same problem so i bought a new battery it did the same thing just figured it out it is the charging cube and usb cord my wife has same phone as mine so i used hers now it charges fine and holds a charge does not discharge quick i also reset phone to factory settings Galaxy note 1717