Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - how to shown SD card as a disk drive?

Hi,

When I plug my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to my Windows 7 laptop through USB, it appears in Windows Explorer as "GT-N7105T" under "Computer". This way I can't run a shell script/DOS command to access the SD card.

My old HTC Desire would offer the option to expose the SD card as an external USB disk such as "E:" drive or "F:" drive. How to do it on this Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - how to shown SD card as a disk drive?-untitled.png  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - how to shown SD card as a disk drive?

So far, there doesn't appear to be any easy way to do this. A "work-around" is to use DropBox and mirror stuff to the phone, but that's somewhat of a kludge.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.1.1, 4.0.3, 4.1

Chances are you need to make sure you have installed the Samsung USB driver (this you can find on Samsung's support site for the Note 2); On my Windows 8 PC, with this driver installed, I get prompted to mount the Note 2 as a device... I can touch the phone and the sdcard through a file explorer or any file manager on the PC. I don't see why this would not work for a Windows 7 PC.

Of course, you can also try to get Samsung Kies to work, although for me with a Windows 8 64 bit pc it has problems.

Hope that helps... Happy GN2'ing

~ScottGeek
    May the Tech Be with You

When I connect my GN2 to my Win8 PC it shows SGH-I317 and when I click the + next to it I see both the phones internal memory and my SD card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble

My Win8 system does the same as eds817's, when I plug it in, it shows at SPH900L and has a (+) next to it. Clicking that, it opens up to the internal and External SD memory that is installed. When I get home, I'll plug it into my wife's Win7 Laptop and see what it does.
    Thanks

JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
    The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S@!t, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

OK, got home, plugged the phone into the wife's Win7 Laptop.

The computer searched and installed Samsung drivers and the the phone showed up. It looked like your screen shot. HOWEVER!!

When I brought the cursor over to the phone the arrow appears next to it and allows it to be opened showing Phone and Card and they can be opened like the disk folders.

Maybe there's a setting in Android that needs to be set so it will be recognized as a Data device? When I plug mine in, the phone shows: Connected as Media Device
    Thanks

JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
    The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S@!t, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

Quote Originally Posted by babawushika View Post
    Hi,

When I plug my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to my Windows 7 laptop through USB, it appears in Windows Explorer as "GT-N7105T" under "Computer". This way I can't run a shell script/DOS command to access the SD card.

My old HTC Desire would offer the option to expose the SD card as an external USB disk such as "E:" drive or "F:" drive. How to do it on this Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

Thanks!
    The Note II doesn't support usm (usb mass storage), as it is with most recent android phones. The Note II uses either ptp (picture transfer protocol) or mtp (media transfer protocol). It will show the device and you can select between internal and external sd card (if you have one installed)

Older devices did, support usm, which gives you the drive letter.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Thanked by:

I don't seem to have any problem with doing a copy/paste or creating new folders via my computer when plugged in with a USB cable.
    Thanks

JTMcD.