Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  • 1 Post By phantomog
  • 1 Post By kris.richards
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OEM Charger?

Looking through accessories on the Samsung website, I see a 1A travel charger, but isn't the charger that comes with the Note II a 2A charger? Where can I buy a spare OEM charger? Seems odd that one isn't available for purchase...

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Default Re: OEM Charger?

I bought the 1a charger you speak of. I had to get the 50% off before it expired. It works juet fine. It also is a straight rip off from a design standpoint from the iphone charger. The only difference it is solid black. It also only has a 3 foot cable.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomog View Post
    Looking through accessories on the Samsung website, I see a 1A travel charger, but isn't the charger that comes with the Note II a 2A charger? Where can I buy a spare OEM charger? Seems odd that one isn't available for purchase...
    Can't. Sammy hasn't released it yet for aftermarket sale. Not sure why.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Does anyone have the Samsung OEM spare battery charger desk thing? Maybe the charger cable for that is 2a.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldthor View Post
    Can't. Sammy hasn't released it yet for aftermarket sale. Not sure why.
    Of course... My 50% coupon expires on 2/19 so I'm betting they will release it on 2/20

Quote Originally Posted by Uribam View Post
    Does anyone have the Samsung OEM spare battery charger desk thing? Maybe the charger cable for that is 2a.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    I have it and it is a regular travel charger that plugs into it. .7 or .8 as I recall. The nexus 7 OEM charger is a 2A charger but the charging cord is really short...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

No Samsung one yet, but there are a couple on Amazon.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

If the OEM charging cradle isn't 2a what the hell good is it?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    evilgenyus likes this.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Because as long as the volts are right it will still charge albeit a little slower. The amp rating only describes the charging rate and how strong the wall or inverter must be to charge at normal rate.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

I'm aware. When you're dealing with spare batteries they should be charging as fast as the phone. If it takes more than six hours to charge your spare battery, it's probably not going to be all that beneficial.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

6 hours should do it overnight, and it's pretty hard to drain the other one (which should be freshly charged) in that short of a time period. But if you have to do it faster, just take the 2A charger that came with the phone and use that with the charging cradle. I have a 2A for the car also, not expensive at all.

BTW, the Galaxy Noteô II Smart Dock (part #EDD-S20JWEGSTA) does come with a 2A wallwart.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

So, where will you be at when you need to charge a battery, not typically at home I think. Hence a .7a charge rate lets you charge basically anywhere. Usb ports in most cars are not 2 amps. Most usb ports are not 2a. I think thats the point of not using 2 amp in the charger. It gives the user more freedom to charge from more locations. Btw my father has a usb solar charger the is the same size as a phone. It allows us to charge while camping I can guarantee you its not 2 amp.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    6 hours should do it overnight, and it's pretty hard to drain the other one (which should be freshly charged) in that short of a time period. But if you have to do it faster, just take the 2A charger that came with the phone and use that with the charging cradle. I have a 2A for the car also, not expensive at all.

BTW, the Galaxy Noteô II Smart Dock (part #EDD-S20JWEGSTA) does come with a 2A wallwart.
    Ingress
    kris.richards likes this.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    6 hours should do it overnight, and it's pretty hard to drain the other one (which should be freshly charged) in that short of a time period. But if you have to do it faster, just take the 2A charger that came with the phone and use that with the charging cradle. I have a 2A for the car also, not expensive at all..
    I have a 2amp charger for the car but it doesn't charge nearly as fast as the white outlet piece that came with the device
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by howserow View Post
    I have a 2amp charger for the car but it doesn't charge nearly as fast as the white outlet piece that came with the device
    exactly. There are plenty of 2A chargers for cheap on Amazon/ebay/etc., however, I'm reluctant to spend money on something that isn't OEM and I don't know for sure will charge just like the one that came with the phone. At least the battery life is really good on this phone so I'm not in dire need of one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by howserow View Post
    Be careful. a lot (not all) of the multiport chargers might list a 2A total, but only deliver 1A to each port. Sneaky.
    There is a good explanation of this here: Amazon.com: K. Crawford's review: Amperage claims a bit deceptive
    On this particular unit one of the ports will deliver 2A, the other won't. But it's better than most.

I've never actually measured the amp draw on my charger, for all we know the Samsung could really be doing 2.1 and another 1.9 (or vice versa), they could both be rated 2A but have different charging times.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Just a head up, this is now available directly from Samsung. I used my 50% off to get it for $20.
    Travel Charger 2AMP (Detachable W/ USB to Micro USB Cable)
    Thanked by:
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

You can get the 2a oem from eBay for ten bucks...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    You can get the 2a oem from eBay for ten bucks...
    there are way too many *fake* OEM parts on Ebay for me personally. I'm not going to risk my Note II with some knock-off charger to save a few bucks. I'm just glad Samsung is now selling it directly for folks like me who want genuine parts.
    TheOtherBill likes this.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

That's why I pay with PayPal and when it's fake oem I get my money back for not as advertised

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Pulled this off of a thread in the VZW note forums. Hope this is what you're looking for
    TheOtherBill likes this.