Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DaRkL3AD3R
  • 3 Post By Centro85#AC
  • 1 Post By tetaganda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 2: OTG cable + USB hub?

I'm trying to research but can't find the right answers if I can use an OTG and usb hub to connect a thumb drive and wireless dangle for logitech wireless keyboard-track pad combo.

I dont want to fry my phones motherboard but I'd like to be able to connect these two devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-13-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: OTG cable + USB hub?

If it's a powered hub I'm leaning towards yes it will work. Logical reasoning behind that conclusion is that the smart dock from Samsung is essentially a powered 3 port USB 2.0 hub and it all goes through that single input micro USB port on our phone.

If it's not a powered hub, it probably won't work. But it likely won't do any damage either seeing as how its no different than running too many USB devices off a PC board. It just doesn't work, but the PC continues to function.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by:
    tetaganda likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    If it's a powered hub I'm leaning towards yes it will work. Logical reasoning behind that conclusion is that the smart dock from Samsung is essentially a powered 3 port USB 2.0 hub and it all goes through that single input micro USB port on our phone.

If it's not a powered hub, it probably won't work. But it likely won't do any damage either seeing as how its no different than running too many USB devices off a PC board. It just doesn't work, but the PC continues to function.
    Thanks so much! I didn't know there's a Samsung dock that has multiple USBs. Searching for a deal now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

There a video on youtube "Note 2 connectivity demo." It's 45 minutes long, haven't watched the whole thing, but there are shortcuts/table of contents in the description. Might be worth a gander.
    Thanked by 2:
    cdf3, tetaganda and lorie444 like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Centro85#AC View Post
    There a video on youtube "Note 2 connectivity demo." It's 45 minutes long, haven't watched the whole thing, but there are shortcuts/table of contents in the description. Might be worth a gander.
    Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    lorie444 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post

It worked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by tetaganda View Post
    It worked!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/13/pyjygyha.jpg

i want to try this with MHL so i can HDMI into a tv and a ps3 controller . note 2 would become an awesome makeshift console.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Hi..im using this OTG cable..1 and 4 gb pendrive works on my galaxy note 2...if they single connection only...mouse also works on my galaxy note 2...my galaxy note 2 is stock not rooting...

But I have a problem with 4 port usb hub...i have connect this 4 port usb hub with many devices....I connect with mouse, 1 gb pendrive and 4 gb pendrive...my galaxy note 2 only detect mouse...my mouse works in my galaxy note 2...but pendrive not display in my files....I have connect extra power at the 4 port usb hub using plug or powerbank or laptop...but neither works...I have download usb host controller and diagnostic apps...it display the 2 pendrive specification...means it detect but I cannot open or display in my files galaxy note 2....I have reset but cannot too...

2nd problem is my 500 gb WD hdd not display too...the light at hdd will on and it spinning...but not display on my galaxy note 2....I have use usb host controller and diagnostic apps...it detect and display my hdd but I cannot open...and it dont display in my files...

Hope anyone can help with this problem...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Glad to see it works. It's always good to have confirmation on these types of situations.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Yes it should be work.
    I can connect my Galaxy S3 to my USB hub via my OTG cable. While connected it automatically recognized my Razer DeathAdder mouse, Logitech G11 keyboard, USB Thumdrive, and PS3 controller. It doesn't need a power supply but it will obviously drain power faster. I'm not sure but I think there's a way to charge it while also having full USB hub functionality. However I'm currently looking into this and haven't found a working solution.

I have settle my problem regarding to usb hub..today I buy new d-link usb hub...and now all devices working...

I can watch movies from my hdd...

When I use all devices...my battery drain little...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Lightbulb Re: OTG cable + USB hub?

Last edited by JP_AACC; 04-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Could just get a smart dock. It has 3 usb plugs and hdmi out. Also come with a 2a charging wall wart. Does everything you guys are trying to do.

Yes it does everything but I actually want 4 usb but I could settle with 3. The major point is that hub cost about 4 times the amount of a hub.
    I like to save as much $ as possible.

It worked!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/13/pyjygyha.jpg

Hi tetaganda
    Can you list the parts you used? I am not sure what is connected to the phone itself.
    Including purchase locations would be amazing.
    Thanks
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble

Hey, im new here but I made a 4 port usb hub attached to a usb cable myself recently....all ports work including with the pendrive and other stuff atached.....if the pen drive or any other device dosent show up, u need to download this app called usb otg helper....u need to be rooted for this..root at your own risk...then u need to open the app and mount and unmount and mount again...then the devices will be recognised.....this worked for me...hope it does for u too... heres a pic of my creation
    http://db.tt/nz7GoltO

The otg-usb hub im using saves space and has 4 working ports... and its cheap to make cuz all u need is a cheap 4 port usb hub and a cheap otg cable (they both actually need to be cheap ones because later u would have to match the colouring of thier wires, the more advanced and expensive ones will have a confusing buildup inside thier wires) I can show u how to make this urself if u want me to, or unless u get it already

use paragon ntfs app

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

External hard drives (HDD), pen/thumb/usb drives should be formatted for FAT32 instead of NTFS for use with USB OTG. Otherwise, you will need a third party app on the device and it has to be rooted to 'see' or open and access any files on the attached storage device. Check out Paragon exFAT or USB OTG Helper in the Play Store as previously mentioned.
    Last edited by Hamp; 11-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Agrees with fat32
    Ntfs I have never tried
    However
    Bullet kernel will read exfat
    Great for 1080p movies

Thats for both usb and sd slot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk HD

Hello,

I like ur set up. I'm looking into doing something similar for when I'm in the road.

Question. With ur mini belkin usb hub, can you charge your phone thru one of the usb ports or would a powered usb hub charge my phone? I'm using galaxy S4 with OTG cable.

Thanks