Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By kennethkilo
  • 1 Post By kennethkilo
  • 1 Post By kennethkilo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My complete gesture based Note 2!

I just thought I'd share how I have my Note 2 set up. I have the 2 soft touch buttons completely disabled and use gestures for the menu and back button and multi-window. The gesture works perfectly without messing with use, that includes not messing up swipe keyboards and etc. The gestures are also simple and fast. I can post a tut on how to do it if you guys are interested! It's basically using the s-pen back and menu functions without the need of the s-pen.
    karsdroid and Tokio_Love like this.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default Re: My complete gesture based Note 2!

I'm interested.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

oooh, gestures with no s-pen? This is getting close to how the Palm Pre that I like so much. How are you able to use gestures with your fingers? Or is this with a launcher like Nova Prime or something?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Watch this video, it's the base of the setup. If still interested ill post my full how to and what my custom gestures are.
    Thanked by 2:
    4fool likes this.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Very nice! Thank you for sharing this.

One of the issues that is preventing me from committing to the Note is the fact that the 2 buttons interfere with handwriting using the S-Pen - due to the palm resting on/touching the button. It seems like your solution will help disable those buttons permanently. Am I right, or am I misunderstanding this?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethkilo View Post
    I just thought I'd share how I have my Note 2 set up. I have the 2 soft touch buttons completely disabled and use gestures for the menu and back button and multi-window. The gesture works perfectly without messing with use, that includes not messing up swipe keyboards and etc. The gestures are also simple and fast. I can post a tut on how to do it if you guys are interested! It's basically using the s-pen back and menu functions without the need of the s-pen.
    Are you using the Samsung Photo Editor as well? If so can you let me know where you got it from.
    Also very interested in the gestures
    TiA

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    Are you using the Samsung Photo Editor as well? If so can you let me know where you got it from.
    Also very interested in the gestures
    TiA
    It is located in samsung apps, if you don't have it (I believe ATT & Verizon didn't have samsung apps preloaded to their phones)
    Have you heard about the GN2, yea it's awesome! (^_^)

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Where do you find all the features about this phone? I just got it today and there's no manual inside the box. There's just too much to learn about this phone!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by 4fool View Post
    Very nice! Thank you for sharing this.

One of the issues that is preventing me from committing to the Note is the fact that the 2 buttons interfere with handwriting using the S-Pen - due to the palm resting on/touching the button. It seems like your solution will help disable those buttons permanently. Am I right, or am I misunderstanding this?
    Yes I will post here tomorrow on how to do it. It completely disables them until you reactivate them whenever.

Yes I will post here tomorrow on how to do it. It completely disables them until you reactivate them whenever.
    Will this custom gesture only work with multi-window?
    Unfortunately, my service provider (Rogers here in Canada); has not pushed out the new update yet.
    Yes, I can get the update manually, but not ready to get into rooting etc... yet. (been a BB user for the past 8yrs)

Watch this video, it's the base of the setup. If still interested ill post my full how to and what my custom gestures are.
    Can you please post your full how to?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Ok so...
    1) You need to root your phone. You can go over to XDA forums on how to do that
    PART ONE: Download the app GMD Gesture Control
    a) Open up the app and turn off every gesture on that page by clicking the boxes. Now go to "Custom" at the top and press create gesture
    b) Press the question marks as it will show you how it works, after you do that you can fill in hte gestures I have made, they are the following.
    c) For BACK: [x] enabled, [ ] active during pause, [ ] disable while keyboard is on screen. Gesture name: BACK Gesture Path : DL-DR-DL Touch points: 1 Starting Zone: Anywhere Action: Back
    For Multitask/recently opened apps: [x] enabled, [ ] active during pause, [x] disable while keyboard is on screen. Gesture name: mutlitask Gesture Path : UR-D-UL Touch points: 1 Starting Zone: Bottom Half of Screen Action: Multitask/recently opened apps
    For the menu button:[x] enabled, [ ] active during pause, [x] disable while keyboard is on screen. Gesture name: menu Gesture Path : DR-U-DL Touch points: 1 Starting Zone: Bottom Half of screen Action: Menu
    For Multiwindow: [x] enabled, [ ] active during pause, [x] disable while keyboard is on screen. Gesture name: Multiwindow Path : U-DR-U-DL Touch points: 1 Starting Zone: Anywhere Action: Multiwindow
    d) REMEMBER TO PRESS SAVE AFTER EACH ONE YOU ADD**
    Part 2:
    1) Download ES File manager or a file manager that supports root users. ( If you are using ES file manager go to settings and tick the box beside the words "rooted")
    2) Open up ES File manager and go to the following folder path. System> USR> Keylayout.
    3) Once you are there you will see Generic.kl
    4) Open that file up with the ES text editor.
    5) Now scroll downs to key 139 and add the "#" sign to the front of it. So it will show as #key 139 menu or etc.
    6) Do this for key 139 and key 158 (This is the back key and menu key) This will fully disable them.
    7) Press save and reboot phone.
    8) Now the buttons are disabled. Go to settings, screen, led indicator, and turn off the light for your keys. This will make them not blink when you touch them.
    And then you are done. You can play around with GMD Gestures and add or fix them as you like, these are just what I found to be easiest and error free.
    A recap: Your back should be like a lightning bolt, menu and multitask like a hour glass without a side laying flat, and your multiwindow should be like an hour glass on its side.
    Thanked by 2:
    4fool likes this.