Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By roberte1342
  • 1 Post By jneusch
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigation app on the Note 2

What navigation app are you all using on your Note 2?
    I've been using Google Maps Navigation, but I decided to try out VZnavigator during the promotional period.
    I like how it gives several route options like iOS maps, and it seems to do a better job with Favorites. It seems as though Google Maps will not allow you to rename or edit places you starred as a Favorite. It's also missing the ability to search your favorites. This seems to be an issue for me because I have quite a few favorite places. I hate having to scroll through them all just to find the one I want. Wondering if I should keep VZnavigator or stay with Google Maps. Are there any other good options out there?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Default Re: Navigation app on the Note 2

I think TomTom is the best product from the big GPS companies. I used to use Navigon on my iPhone, but it does not have turn by turn on android and still has the high price tag. So avoid Navigon at the very least.

Sygic has a free 7 day trial if you wanted to try that and compare. It would give you a hands on trial without needing to fork out for a purchase.

Default Navigation app on the Note 2

I always used the TomTom app on my iPhone on my motorcycle and it worked great. I have been using the native Google maps navigation on the Note2 and it is a little different. My go to GPS is still a Garmin Nuvi 3790, but I have been trying to use the Note2 as an alternative to see if I can eliminate the second device. I am waiting on my xPro dock that I ordered to really give it a good try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

I been using Google Navigation since it's birth. It surely glitchy and buggy at the start. First used on my MyTouch 3G. Ever since it been improving so much. Made it easier to switch to other app to text then go back to Navigation without quiting. Many of my friend who made the switch to Android from iPhone and BlackBerry love Google Navigation and really prefer it

I tried Waze, it not really my type. It felt like it not using the native code on my phone which made it laggy.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

I use waze. It has live traffic, police sightings, road hazards, etc.
    Even when I don't need navigation assistance I still use it for the live road conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    serpico likes this.

+1 for Waze. I like its versatility. Use it regularly.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by roberte1342 View Post
    I use waze. It has live traffic, police sightings, road hazards, etc.
    Even when I don't need navigation assistance I still use it for the live road conditions.

I might look into that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I use Waze sometimes. The only thing that bothers me about Waze is it will not mute music when giving directions. I listen to Pandora through my Motorola Roadster and its kinda tuff to hear over the music.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

The stock Google maps app has worked great for me.i live in New Hampshire which is not the most populated so if it doesn't have issues here i think it will work anywhere

I like Google Nav, but am looking for something I can use with offline mapping in case I need to in Europe this summer. Anyone have a recommendation?

For long road trips (especially through rural areas) I use TomTom (my most used nav app on iOS as well).

For anything else, Google Maps - which IMO, is still the best navigation app on any mobile platform.

If you like Google Maps, don't forget it has offline caching now, so you can just load your maps before you go. Did that last year while driving around in the UK, works great.
    Nexus 5 Stock / Nexus 7 LTE Stock
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by alistairs View Post
    If you like Google Maps, don't forget it has offline caching now, so you can just load your maps before you go. Did that last year while driving around in the UK, works great.
    alistairs, can you cache maps big enough to be able to zoom into whatever scale mapping you might need to get around, say, the entire Czech Republic?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    alistairs, can you cache maps big enough to be able to zoom into whatever scale mapping you might need to get around, say, the entire Czech Republic?
    It is limited to 10 miles radius for now

Quote Originally Posted by aquafusiondane View Post
    It is limited to 10 miles radius for now
    So not quite the entire Czech Republic. More like Liechtenstein. lol

From what I saw offline mode is only for Google maps, not Google navigation. I'd you need turn by turn it may not work for you.

Current Devices:

I forgot to add one more thing. On Google Navigation, it didn't use much data if you have metered plan. I drove two hours to downtown with default map overview and it only used 10 MB. And that is impressive.

Based on what I read here I decided to give Waze a try. I drove a total of 270 miles today for work, ending up 4 hours from home. I was mostly on 2 lane roads in rural areas. I ran my Note2 running Waze along with my very high end Garmin and I am pleased to report that Waze did a good job for it's first use. It navigated the same roads as the Garmin from point A to B, but picked a different route from point B to C than the Garmin. The Garmin was more accurate on arrival time and indicated speed, but Waze got the route right and wasn't too far off.

During my last 2:45 of driving I decided to stream XM at the same time - streaming BT to my car stereo. Between Waze and XM I only used about 200MB of data. I really liked how Waze gave the audio instructions over the stereo without pausing music. I know GrumpyJoe mentioned he didn't like that feature, but I thought it was nice.
    Current Devices:
    roberte1342 likes this.