1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default questions and issues i need help with ?

1. to my understanding touchwiz sits on top of stock jelly bean, so would nova or apex launcher sit on top of touchwiz sitting on top of jelly bean ?? 2. i have all my apps laid out in folders on the homescreens perfect....could i try another launcher and then go back to touchwiz and would everything be as i had it before, apps in correct folders ??

2. i have an issue that is bugging me a lot....when i come out of an app, i mainly notice it when coming out of the stock camera app, where it takes a few seconds for the screen to 'draw' the icons...so its just blank screen for a few seconds....would changing launcher help with that ?...or is there anything else i could do.....i'm happy enough at the moment with touchwiz only for that.

3. i hear cyronegen (spelling?) rom spoke about a lot (i'm a complete newbie to android)....and i hear about nightly and monthly builds.....can someone explain that to me please....do you HAVE to update every night with a nightly build ??
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Default Re: questions and issues i need help with ?

Quote Originally Posted by dougm1970 View Post
    1. to my understanding touchwiz sits on top of stock jelly bean, so would nova or apex launcher sit on top of touchwiz sitting on top of jelly bean ?? 2. i have all my apps laid out in folders on the homescreens perfect....could i try another launcher and then go back to touchwiz and would everything be as i had it before, apps in correct folders ??

2. i have an issue that is bugging me a lot....when i come out of an app, i mainly notice it when coming out of the stock camera app, where it takes a few seconds for the screen to 'draw' the icons...so its just blank screen for a few seconds....would changing launcher help with that ?...or is there anything else i could do.....i'm happy enough at the moment with touchwiz only for that.

3. i hear cyronegen (spelling?) rom spoke about a lot (i'm a complete newbie to android)....and i hear about nightly and monthly builds.....can someone explain that to me please....do you HAVE to update every night with a nightly build ??
    I can answer some of these... for cyanogen, you don't need to update daily, just on big fixes. I had cm7 on one of my old phones and kept a year old rom on it. Nightlys aren't really necessary, a lot of the time there is no change.

For the "drawing icons" part... any way you can tell me how much ram is being used? I don't notice that issue. As far as other launchers, I haven't tried any on my note, but they worked fine on other phones, and when I would delete one, the stock ui would take back over as if I never used anything else...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

screenshot attached on ram

thanks for the reply

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails questions and issues i need help with ?-uploadfromtaptalk1358013587916.jpg  

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Wow. You can clear the ram occasionally bro. It wont hurt anything.

Sent via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Nova and ADW are apps. Touchwiz is also an app. They all perform the same function. Launchers don't sit on top of each other, they just replace the app before.
    To answer your question in a more direct way, all the settings of Touchwiz will remain the way they are should you choose to go back.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Change ROMs at your own risk. Using a different launcher will not change the functionality of the device much, but a ROM will. Namely a good chunk of your S Pen functionality will be gone. Touchwiz is built into the stock rom not only as a launcher, but as a hefty piece of the entire ui.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

i do clear my ram a lot....but it shoots back up to that quickly...is that not a normal reading ??.....i presumed some dr web anti-virus setting / service running.

i put on nova tonight....wow...what an improvement, for me anyway....very slick and can have neater home pages...grids 4 x 6 are perfect.

using lockerpro lockscreen for notifications....but it seems to have trouble working....sometimes it'll bypass it completely and go to the main home page....or sometimes the stock lock screen will show instead....then other times it does work

thanks for the answers
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

That reading means something huge is running in the background. Go to application management and see what apps are running. They should give you cpu total and ram usage iirc...

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

in running apps / cached processes...if i stop an app it just comes back right away, even if the app hasnt been started manually....is there a setting for that?....on this list, expedia is a prime example...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails questions and issues i need help with ?-uploadfromtaptalk1358070136393.jpg  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

in running apps / cached processes...if i stop an app it just comes back right away, even if the app hasnt been started manually....is there a setting for that?....on this list, expedia is a prime example...

This is Android not windows or IOS memory works differently read this article
    many apps share services so for example what your screen displays many audio players so if you clear them all from memory and something uses a media service you see all the apps sharing this seem open. But they are not running so it isnt dragging your phone down. The battery widget is going to open because its a widget if you have it on your home screen its going to keep opening .
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Honestly, I'm using more ram than that and not noticing any issues...

I currently have 412mb open.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

thanks for that....got ya.....so, like a previous poster said, am i using too much memory...or is using a gig...gig and half..ok?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

thanks for that....got ya.....so, like a previous poster said, am i using too much memory...or is using a gig...gig and half..ok?

That's fine. Im currently using 1.19gig

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Android manages is own ram. I have never needed to manually manage it on any phone I've owned.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

thank you all.