Otterbox Commuter vs Seidio Active

Zheonic

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, new to the forum but created an account because I wanna get some more opinions on these two cases. There's a couple things that are important to me and I'm just not sure which one to pick.

Bulk: Obviously neither of these are a Defender, but it seems like the Seidio might be a tad bit thinner? Couldn't really tell exactly from the videos

Pocketability: I would much rather have a phone that is slippery and is easy to take in and out of your pocket than one that is super grippy and clings to your pocket.

And finally: That Magnetic Kickstand! I've read mixed reviews on the Seidio of people having problem with the magnet in the kickstand distorting when you draw with the S pen. Is this common? Is this a design flaw or is it just a few select cases that are affected?

Thanks all! Any and all opinions and comments are accepted and appreciated! Hopefully I can buy this within the next day or so

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The seido has issues with the rubber coming away / being loose at the top of the phone.

Just search for note 2 otterbox commuter videos on youtube. I have the otterbox commuter. It's great. Fairly thin whilst not being too bulky, offers great protection, looks much better in black, slides in and out of pockets with ease, and is very sturdy and will withstand a lot of falls.

The otterbox is more protective than the seido. The seido is also harder to slide in and out of your pockets since it has the rubber around the sides. But it is slightly thinner than the otterbox. The kickstand is really a gimmic, only useful to use to watch movies, anything else and the phone would just wobble about.

Otterbox comes with a fantastic 12 month warranty and will replace it for you if anything does happen to it.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried an Active case and returned it within 1 day. The rubber was too loose and rolled on itself when placing in the holster. It just felt cheap! I am using a Defender now and it is not a case to carry in your pocket. It is very grippy. I also tried a Seidio Surface case. This is one you might like. It is slick, thin, and has a kickstand. It also seems protective, but not as much as the OB. The Surface is also sold at Best Buy under their own brand "Platinum" for $34.95 including the holster.

I only bailed on the Surface because I like a case to have more grip like the Defender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried an Active case and returned it within 1 day. The rubber was too loose and rolled on itself when placing in the holster. It just felt cheap! I am using a Defender now and it is not a case to carry in your pocket. It is very grippy. I also tried a Seidio Surface case. This is one you might like. It is slick, thin, and has a kickstand. It also seems protective, but not as much as the OB. The Surface is also sold at Best Buy under their own brand "Platinum" for $34.95 including the holster.

I only bailed on the Surface because I like a case to have more grip like the Defender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shouldn't the knock off cost less than the original?!?! Unbelievable!!

relentlessplayer

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The seido has issues with the rubber coming away / being loose at the top of the phone.

Just search for note 2 otterbox commuter videos on youtube. I have the otterbox commuter. It's great. Fairly thin whilst not being too bulky, offers great protection, looks much better in black, slides in and out of pockets with ease, and is very sturdy and will withstand a lot of falls.

The otterbox is more protective than the seido. The seido is also harder to slide in and out of your pockets since it has the rubber around the sides. But it is slightly thinner than the otterbox. The kickstand is really a gimmic, only useful to use to watch movies, anything else and the phone would just wobble about.

Otterbox comes with a fantastic 12 month warranty and will replace it for you if anything does happen to it.

I also have the commuter.I haven't even considered looking at anything else.

relentlessplayer..using the mighty SGH-T889

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I also have the commuter.I haven't even considered looking at anything else.

relentlessplayer..using the mighty SGH-T889

I use the Ballistic case. I haven't (and never) consider anything else. (Even the one titled on this thread) :D

And sadly, shopandroid.com is STILL have them on preorder. LOL

Attachments

• P1010087.jpg
    P1010087.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 71

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i have the seidio active and its been fine for me . i like how thin it is and how grippy it feels . i dont use a the holster though so i cant speak to the issues about tyhe rubber peeling away.

Average_Joe_Az

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the Seido active combo case also for my Note 2 and totally agree that the rubber at the top and the bottom pulls away from the phone when putting it away. Bad design in my mind as they should have made the hard plastic go across the top and the bottom to hold near the charging port like the otterbox commuter does. I have heard that in other phones the seido holster works with the commuter case. I need a holster as i like to carry it on my hip and turned 90 degree's so the phones sits parallel to the belt its not to bad. I may order the commuter case and see how it fits in the seido holster. Has anyone tried this yet on the Note 2?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the Seido active combo case also for my Note 2 and totally agree that the rubber at the top and the bottom pulls away from the phone when putting it away. Bad design in my mind as they should have made the hard plastic go across the top and the bottom to hold near the charging port like the otterbox commuter does. I have heard that in other phones the seido holster works with the commuter case. I need a holster as i like to carry it on my hip and turned 90 degree's so the phones sits parallel to the belt its not to bad. I may order the commuter case and see how it fits in the seido holster. Has anyone tried this yet on the Note 2?

The Active case won't fit in the Surface holster. I tried it when I bought the Active case. The bottom of the Surface holster is thinner.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Zheonic

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I use the Ballistic case. I haven't (and never) consider anything else. (Even the one titled on this thread) :D

And sadly, shopandroid.com is STILL have them on preorder. LOL

I had just skimmed past this when looking on Amazon, but on second look it does look pretty nice. How are you liking it?

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had just skimmed past this when looking on Amazon, but on second look it does look pretty nice. How are you liking it?

Love it. When I first saw it from my friend's GS3, I told myself that I gotta have that for my Note 2. The fit and finish is very good plus it already saved me TWICE from my mishaps, or, accidents. LOL :D
Didn't bother looking at other cases after I had it. (Actually, even before I had it ever since I saw the same case from my friend's GS3)

Zheonic

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Also saw in another thread the UAG cases that should be arriving for the Note 2 here shortly. Anybody have any experience with their cases on any other devices? Curious about the levels of protection between that and the others. And between this and the Ballistic case, I'm even less sure of what to get now xD

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the active for my evo 3d and I never had an issue. With the active for the note 2 I've heard many complaints. If all your going to do is put it on your pocket then I recommend the commuter. And if someone could confirm that the commuter fits in the active holster please let us know. I would love to have that combo. Only reason I don't her commuter is because of not having a holster. For now I settled for a cheap holster combo case, the rhino case. Will post an unboxing link and a minimal review of the quality when I get it. May post another review after a month of use.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how the Ballistic case compares against the Otterbox commuter as far as bulkiness.

Has anyone tried the Ionic Guardian case? It seems like a decent option as well.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Did a lot more researching and think I'm gonna stick it out and wait for the UAG case. Seems like it's very nice and thin for the amount of protection it gives. Plus it just looks awesome!

URBAN ARMOR GEAR

Does the uag come with a holster? I myself would get the uag over any other case but I need a holster.

Zheonic

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Does the uag come with a holster? I myself would get the uag over any other case but I need a holster.

No =( Unfortunately it doesn't as far as I can tell. With a phone as big as the Note 2, they should definitely consider making one.

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I just orders the commuter.
Have the sedio and the defender.
Defender well use on hard busy days I toys phone all over. . But it's thick.
But it really protects the phone; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2