My Experience: Galaxy Note 2 and a car stereo with bluetooth.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was rather apprehensive about this at first. When I first decided it was time for a new radio in my everyday driver (04 Colorado), I scoured the Crutchfield website to read reviews about different radios. To no surprise, every Tom, Dick and Harry had an iPhone that they mentioned when it came to Bluetooth compatibility. Some units had reviews with Galaxy S3 owners who complained about that phone just synching half the time and all sorts of other problems. Since I have a double DIN radio in my truck from the factory, I didn't want to put anything else in there size wise so I decided on an Alpine IVE-W530 since I didn't need navigation and since I couldn't justify spending another $250 for the next model up whose major advantages were HD Radio and Sirius Radio compatibility, both of which I have no desire of using.

The day came and my buddy started installing the radio. Hook up was pretty straight forward since Crutchfield send all the right adapters and wiring harnesses, so before we even thought about how to mount the thing in the dashboard, we turned it on and tried it. My Note 2 (Sprint) and the Alpine found each other right away, and with a simple click to confirm the pairing, everything was done. I must say, either I got lucky, or these two were a match made in heaven. BT audio streaming of the micro sd card in the phone works flawlessly. When I leave my truck, I do nothing to the phone, it just keeps the song paused in the background and either continues were it left off or starts it again from the beginning when I get back into my truck. I takes about 10 seconds from the time I start the truck to the time the music starts playing again. The installed hands free phone feature with the included microphone works great as well.

I was wondering about whether or not I could listen to streaming music from the phone through the trucks system, especially since while doing my research, I found so few radios that were Android App friendly, most of them had iPod and iPhone integration. Well, not to worry, any app I tried played the music through the trucks speakers. Tune in Radio works, even games work, heck I can even listen to movies streamed from Netflix. Movies on the SD card work as well....all in all, I am pleasantly surprised and very pleased.

So, if you have a GM vehicle with the double DIN stock Toaster, throw that thing out and get yourself a good radio.

Only one thing that bugs me about this radio is that you have to set the parking brake, step on the foot break, release the parking brake and then engage it again while keeping the foot brake pressed the entire time to be able to play DVDs and to access setup menus for anything other than sound functions. I mean, I have to do this to se the clock! That's a bit overkill.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Works great with Ford sync as well. Pair, passcode, profit.
Features are sync version dependant though.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just a fyi but they make brake bypasses pretty cheap that allow you us3 the dvd while driving. I myself have one thst I bought online for mt double din pioneer deck. Try amazon. Just look up the model of your radio plus break bypass. Should he several to choose from.

Sent via Tapatalk

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the brake thing is to help with driver distraction. When I had a pioneer double din in my truck, thankfully there wasn't one integrated yet, so I was free to use all features without the brake on. Although, I used mine mainly for audio and navigation, not dvd.

The Apple integration is a big thing for the icrowd because when you hook up the iphone/ipod properly, you can control the device from the head unit as well as see track info and such. I have yet to see a large selection of audio equipment that is "Android ready", other than with bluetooth or an auxiliary input.

The right devices will show track info through bluetooth as well, depending on track format (mp3, wav, etc.).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep mine was designed for iphone. It has appradio and pandora built in. Unfortunately when I got my iphone 5 with the digital connector it stopped working. Bluetooth streaming also changed and the radio stopped displaying track info and controls. Sold the iphone and got GN2 and now bluetooth works great again. I dont care about appradio or pandora.

Sent via Tapatalk

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't care about Pandora either. Apple screws its customers with every major revision...go figure....I guess it "just works" only if you have all Apple products. Hope they won't pollute the world with some proprietary iCarRadio... lol. I am fine with the parking break thing, I wasn't planning on watching a movie while I drive, and it really is a better idea to be stationary when you try to set your clock and other settings.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear it works! I have a 2013 Camaro with the MyLink system and the Note2 pairs nicely with it as well. Phone calls, music streaming via BT, Pandora, Stitcher all work well.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
2012 Acura TL here and works perfect! BT, music streaming, phone book, pandora, etc

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure you don't need a brake bypass kit (unless things have changed since 2011). I got a jvc double din dvd deck and we just grounded the wire somewhere else which bypasses the "need in park to watch"

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The it depends on the radio. Some radios require a double pulse. Which basically connected to ground, remove, connect to ground and stay connected. Mine requires this. Pioneer Avh-8400bh. Requires a special device to do it.

Sent via Tapatalk

TT_Vert

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My question to you guys is does it display the track info also?? I can't seem to find any new car that does this. Really annoying as I'm looking for a new car and I cannot find one that will display this info. My pioneer avic does it great in my other car.

Dave

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My question to you guys is does it display the track info also?? I can't seem to find any new car that does this. Really annoying as I'm looking for a new car and I cannot find one that will display this info. My pioneer avic does it great in my other car.

Dave

Yes track info displays correct. Make sure your avic is set to display the information though. I can send a pic of what it looks like on mine if you want.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

TT_Vert

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My AVIC head unit displays META data just fine. The 3 OEM cars w I was in w/ navi did not display it. I was curious if those w/ OEM head units are able to display this info via BT? Also, is 4.3 out yet? Sorry for the ignorance, I rooted my phone and use 4.1.2 and the META data shows on my AVIC so I'm unsure if it's my phone that is picking up this data or the pandora app in the AVIC.

Thanks
Dave

TT_Vert

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Little update of testing I did today w/ a 2013 Kia Optima w/ Navi. Just trying to figure out how to display Pandora META track info via Bluetooth from my NOTE 2. I Know it supports META as my AVIC displays track info in my vette. Played around w/a Note 2, EVO 4G LTE and an iPhone. Via Bluetooth none of them displayed info. Via the Kia USB cable the iPhone did display the info but still no album art or ability to change stations. I got a 30 pin iPhone to micro USB to use the cable w/ my note 2 and functionality was the same as Bluetooth. Quite aggravating. Also downloaded a spotify as well as a Pandora app from a few devs that are supposed to enable this functionality.