Apps will not default where I ask

Heifzilla

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am having an odd problem where I cannot get things to default where I want.

For example, when I click on a link in an email, the phone will ask me to "complete action using" the internet browser or the popup, and will ask me if I want to use it "once" or "always". If I choose "always", I get the following message: "clear default settings by going to settings > applications manager > all". And then the next time I click on a link it again asks me which to use and we repeat the process. If I click on a link for a forum thread, I get the choice of Tapatalk or internet browser, and the same "always" or "once" selection, rinse repeat. It just doesn't seem to understand that I want it to always open links in certain apps even though I am telling it to. When I go into the settings > application manager as directed to manage defaults, apps show as "no defaults set". I also can't get it to default to youtube or any other app for that matter.

Am I missing a step, or doing something wrong? It's really annoying that this comes up for every single link I click on.

TIA.

Sent from my Note 2

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering the same exact thing... did the same thing to be. Only thing defaulted are my messaging apps for texts and my dialer for calls... Oh, and pop up browser for links in the Facebook app

Tapatalk, YouTube have both been selected from internet, and it asks me every single time, even on same link.

Thankfully I'm not the only crazy one.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was going crazy but I get this too. Not a big deal but still why ask if I want to do this always if I can't?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Odd, I haven't noticed this. I deteremined that when it would open something it was actually a different extension that needed the file type association set. I wonder if that is the case?

Have you tried opening the same link or file or whatever after setting the default as well? (assuming you have judging by you going into the default app settings and not seeing anythign set). Have you tried setting them through settings-->app manager?

jhdempse

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. For every Plume link I get asked if I want to use Internet, Chrome or Firefox. I pick one and select Always and it NEVER "sticks". Every link in Plume asks me. Same for links in email. It is particularly annoying when I have the motion setting "call that person when you place the phone to your ear" and it asks me EVERYTIME do I want to use the Phone app or Skype... It effectively inactivates that feature!!!

I have tried to reboot the phone, clear the defaults, nothing seems to work.

It started about 2 months ago. I suspect it is caused by an app that I installed but not sure or haven't figured it out yet.

PLEASE, someone to the rescue...

Last edited:

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. It takes four taps to open a link instead of just the one it is supposed to take. Very annoying. If anyone figures out how to fix it, please share!

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed this problem on 2 different AT&T phones, the LG Optimus G (Stock 4.0.4) and the Note 2 (Stock 4.1.2). Both will not set the default for links for most browsers. One the Note 2, I have the following browsers: Popup Browser, Internet, Dolphin Browser Beta and Chrome I also have RoboForm which is a Password Manager with a secure browser). I can only set the Popup Browser (ugh) or Dolphin Browser Beta as default. When I try to set Internet or Chrome as the default, the next time I click a link I get the dialog on which browser I want to use. This is very frustrating!!! I have tried uninstalling Chrome and disabling the Popup Browser and that made no difference.

I checked on my wife's Samsung Galaxy S3 (Stock 4.1.1) and her phone does not have this problem. My Motorola Xoom Family Edition tablet (Stock 4.0.4) does not have this problem. I did a post about this on the LG Optimus G forum and it seems that Sprint LGOG's do not have this problem.

I would like to use Chrome is my default browser, but this bug will not allow me to set it as the default browser.

If you are experiencing this problem, please post who your carrier is so we can see if it might be carrier enhancement related or manufacturer enhancement related.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
On Verizon here. I have the same browsers (although Dolphin is the non-beta version). I use LastPass instead of RoboForm and have the LastPass integrated browser disabled.

Does anyone have this problem WITHOUT having Dolphin installed? Might try uninstalling it to see if that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Heifzilla

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and do not have the Dolphin browser installed. I have Chrome installed now, and it is still won't default. When I originally posted this thread, I only had the stock browser installed. It's irritating, but there doesn't seem to a fix so I just deal with it.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I tried something with the LGOG that was having the same problems, since it is not currently being used, I did a factory data reset and then loaded up Dolphin and Chrome. I was able to click on a link in email and set the default to any of the 3 browsers, Chrome, Dolphin and Internet and have the default stick. This made me think that maybe something got sideways on my Note 2, such as the update that I installed right after I got the phone. So I took the brave step and did a Carbon backup of my app data and did a factory data reset on the Note 2. After the factory data reset, I loaded Dolphin and Chrome on and was able to set Chrome or Internet as the default browser. After this little experiment, I reinstalled all of my apps and reloaded the data to my Note 2. Low and behold, I could no longer set the default browser, except for Dolphin.

I had the same apps on the LGOG and the Note 2, so could it be an app that is preventing me from setting the default browser? What app would it be? Next, I guess I will be loading the LGOG with suspect apps and see what breaks it.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried something with the LGOG that was having the same problems, since it is not currently being used, I did a factory data reset and then loaded up Dolphin and Chrome. I was able to click on a link in email and set the default to any of the 3 browsers, Chrome, Dolphin and Internet and have the default stick. This made me think that maybe something got sideways on my Note 2, such as the update that I installed right after I got the phone. So I took the brave step and did a Carbon backup of my app data and did a factory data reset on the Note 2. After the factory data reset, I loaded Dolphin and Chrome on and was able to set Chrome or Internet as the default browser. After this little experiment, I reinstalled all of my apps and reloaded the data to my Note 2. Low and behold, I could no longer set the default browser, except for Dolphin.

I had the same apps on the LGOG and the Note 2, so could it be an app that is preventing me from setting the default browser? What app would it be? Next, I guess I will be loading the LGOG with suspect apps and see what breaks it.

Try to go data reset again and install app one by one to see which causing the problem.

I had a problem with images that don't remember my default. It one app that preventing the default. After I uninstalled the app, it remember my default for images. Sometime there will be apps that will keep preventing the default.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's happened on mine in many different roms... only certain things remember (like home launcher and YouTube) but it's an annoyance but I can deal with it

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, after reloading the Optimus G with apps one by one, I figured out which one was preventing me from setting my default browser. I first focused on apps that browsed the web in some way. In my case, it was the Kohl's app. Just having it installed did not affect setting the default browser setting, I have to open it up before it would prevent me from setting the default browser. I am sure that there are other apps that cause this type of behavior. I uninstalled the Kohl's app on my Note 2 and now I am able to set any browser to be default.

UPDATE: I tried a little experiment on my wife's Galaxy S3 where her default browser was set, so I installed the Kohl's app on her phone (and opened it), then tried opening a link and I was asked which browser I wanted to use. At this point I could not get her phone to keep the default browser setting. Uninstalled the app and now she is able to set her default browser as before. This confirms my findings that this app is the one that caused my problem (may not be the one causing anyone else's problem.)

Last edited:

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I dont have the khols app and still have this problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure that the Kohl's app is not the only one that cause this type of behavior. I was lucky that I have a spare phone that I could mess with to help figure out my problem. Here is my approach to solving this:
1) I used Carbon App Backup by Clockworkmod to backup any app data that I wanted to save (have to activate by connecting to PC).
2) I created a new home screen and put shortcuts to everything I needed to test this, it was easier with everything in one place.
3) Since it was a browser related issue, I figured that the offending app most likely would have browser like content, such as shooping apps, news apps, forum apps (yes, I tested the Android Central Forum app), etc.
4) Uninstall a suspect app
5) Test setting default browser with a link, then test the link again to see if the setting took.
6) If that did not fix the problem, go to the next suspect app and try it.

This is a tidious process, but to some people (me) it was worth it.

You have to decide if you want to live with the annoyance or find what is causing the problem.

Good Luck