Will we ever be Able to put Apps on sd Card?also what's ur opinion??

rafaelluik

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
i'll repeat myself ONE more time. The phones that came STOCK, OUT OF THE BOX with ICS no longer have the functionality.
BUT WHY?
You aren't saying I'm running Android 2.3 right? I'm running 4.0, and I can't be running 2.3 at the same time right? So the function to move apps to SD is possible (exists) in ICS we are just being not rewarded with this possibility by the manufacturers.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wrong it is a holdover from gb. It is not a feature being held back.

The mechanisms were there, when you port things some things remain. Essentially you are porting the ics rom to your gb phone.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Basically, when porting a new version of android to a phone, the developers basically just wrote over the code.

On a new device, they start from scratch.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not an excuse. Google decides to take it out to help against pirating apps, amongst other reasons, just as with the internal storage, you really don't need it!

Not making excuses. Others need to learn storage conservation :/

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Last edited:

rafaelluik

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
How does it help against pirating apps?

And what to say about big and bigger games to come? It doesn't comes down to people needing to control themselves in the number of apps they have installed.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
How does it help against pirating apps?

And what to say about big and bigger games to come? It doesn't comes down to people needing to control themselves in the number of apps they have installed.

Apps aren't secure on the SD particularly apps like movies and music which require DRM. Part of the deal with music and movie providers was to rectify these vulnerabilities so Google complied. If you want to point blame call out media providers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing stopping developers from storing app data on the SD card (the data is often several times the size of the executable). Many do, but older games don't -- although a lot have been updated for that. Any decently programmed new one will.

And actually it does come down to people controlling themselves. Remember, there are 700,000 apps in the playstore. It's not Google's fault if someone decides to load 30% of them.
It is Google's fault you can't move apps to the SD card anymore. They published the reasons for the change. If that is intolerable, there's BB10 or WP8 to consider.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
And actually it does come down to people controlling themselves. Remember, there are 700,000 apps in the playstore. It's not Google's fault if someone decides to load 30% of them.
It is Google's fault you can't move apps to the SD card anymore. They published the reasons for the change. If that is intolerable, there's BB10 or WP8 to consider.

Google is not the only person to be blame for this. It the people as well. I notice this tread of iPhone user kept downloading so much crap in their phone and hardly use most of those app. One of my friend actually filled his storage and refused to reset to factory default because his phone kept laggy even with pictures and camera. People really need to control their urges to mindlessly downloading anything. I am sure it a no brainers of why people getting virus and malware on their phone because they felt the need to decrease their common sense by downloading those bad apps.

I like the limitation because it teach you and me to pick the apps that we would use often. Using the G1 back in the day actually taught me a lesson and it really help.

IPhone user is not the only people doing this. I notice android user is closing to that point.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

rafaelluik

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Please... You're saying people download 210000 apps onto their phones?
I'm not talking about quantity of apps or quality (whether it runs on the background and make the phone slower or not), I'm talking about SIZE.

About piracy: there's no point!! You can download any .apk (I don't look for these things but I bet they can crack games and apps), .mp3s and movies from the web...

Stopbeing Nosey

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
its a pain in the a$$ that we shouldn't have to deal with. let's face it. they put the sd card slot in so people would think they would have more space when they really don't, and buy the device. we got cheated. what I need to know is who did it or is involved? why take the risk of being with a major carrier for the sgn2 if they are screwing u, or letting u get screwed, out of all that extra space? this will be a game changer for me, my friends, and family. for those that say " learn some self control", they should have thought about that before they made that remark. when you buy something you want, you expect to be able to use it like it's supposed to be used, and not have your device devalued by devs. don't waste time making excuses for them or criticizing us for not being happy about this, it will not change the feeling that they need to fix it.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
And if you do the research, anything that came natively with ics or above DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY. It's a mute point right now, just people wanting to argue. Even so, on my g1, without downloading extra crap, I could not put apps on the sd card. I made use with what space I had. If I needed space for something, I deleted something else.

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
It's been like this for 2 years. It is Google, not the carrier or the phone maker.
It is silly to get so bent out of shape over something that no one is, or can, change.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
its a pain in the a$$ that we shouldn't have to deal with. let's face it. they put the sd card slot in so people would think they would have more space when they really don't, and buy the device. we got cheated. what I need to know is who did it or is involved? why take the risk of being with a major carrier for the sgn2 if they are screwing u, or letting u get screwed, out of all that extra space? this will be a game changer for me, my friends, and family. for those that say " learn some self control", they should have thought about that before they made that remark. when you buy something you want, you expect to be able to use it like it's supposed to be used, and not have your device devalued by devs. don't waste time making excuses for them or criticizing us for not being happy about this, it will not change the feeling that they need to fix it.

Nice ferret

And if you are filling your entire internal storage with apps you have more problems than just anger

Sent from my Note 2

Gilad50

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hallo. ( im sorry for my english )
Quote = let's face it. they put the sd card slot in so people would think they would have more space when they really don't, and buy the device. you have Completely Right . i buy my SGS3 i9300 16GB Because of 64GB.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hallo. ( im sorry for my english )
Quote = let's face it. they put the sd card slot in so people would think they would have more space when they really don't, and buy the device. you have Completely Right . i buy my SGS3 i9300 16GB Because of 64GB.

So the sd card doesn't give you more space....? I'm confused now.... Did you put one in for added weight then?

Sent from my Note 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I still don't know why everyone is throwing a hissy about not being able to put apps on the sd card :/ imo, 10.95 gb is more than enough for apps. As stated, media goes on the sd!

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I still don't know why this thread is still going on. O3O

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

opus33065

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
"You can't on phones that shipped with ics. That's what we're saying."

You are completely wrong!!!! I have an HTC One V that shipped with ICS and it could move apps to SD. My kids also have the Kyrocera Rise which again ships with ICS and can move apps to SD.

This is a decision of the manufacturer of your phone and not a Google issue or an Android issue.

Phone manufacturers need something to distinguish their higher tier phones from their lower tier phones. Removing the ability to move apps to SD is one way to do this.

I have an HTC One V which I paid $50 dollars for and added a 64 GB microSD card (even though the manufactuerer stated they only supported 32GB). The total phone cost is little more than 100 bucks for essentially a 64GB phone.

Some apps install as "system" apps which prevent their movement to SD card.

Because of the proliferation of low end android phones undermining their bigger brothers, the phone manufacturers have resorted to either eliminating the SD card altogether (as in the HTC "one" released this year, or disabling the ability to move to SD card so that users are forced to buy upper tier phones to download more apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae