Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By DaRkL3AD3R
  • 2 Post By DroidXcon
  • 2 Post By tirith
  • 1 Post By DaRkL3AD3R
  • 2 Post By DroidXcon
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 1 Post By TheOtherBill
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Help on note 2 smart dock

    Is there a way to use the dock without plugging the power cable?

    I tried to unplug it because it said the phone is fully charged. I did not want to overcharge my battery.

    But when I unplugged the power, the USB drive and keyboard/mouse were disconnected.

    Is there a way in the settings somewhere or an app to disable charging of the phone while docked?

    Thanks for the help!


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Not that I know of. And those USB ports are powered, meaning without plugging the hub into the outlet, they do not function.

    I too am concerned about the full charge usage though. I always watch my phone like a hawk when it's on the charger and as soon as that LED turns green I pull the cable right away. Leaving it plugged in overnight with hours spent plugged in and at max charge has been shown to reduce battery health. Maybe not significantly enough to warrant people avoiding this behavior if they plan on replacing the device in less than 2 years, but something to consider if you're gonna hold onto this phone for the long haul.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by:
    tetaganda likes this.
  3. #3  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    I never worry about charging over night. I have been through about 6 phones since i started using smart phones and have not had to replace a battery yet..

    Also it is kind of impossible to over charge. When it hits 100% it stops charging and starts to discharge in a kind of trickle process. Then when it gets to a certain point starts to charge again till it hits 100 again. So it's not like electrons start to collect then decide to bust out of the battery.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
    TheOtherBill and tetaganda like this.
  4. #4  
    tirith's Avatar
    Resident Linux Fiend

    Posts
    1,590 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    I never worry about charging over night. I have been through about 6 phones since i started using smart phones and have not had to replace a battery yet..

    Also it is kind of impossible to over charge. When it hits 100% it stops charging and starts to discharge in a kind of trickle process. Then when it gets to a certain point starts to charge again till it hits 100 again. So it's not like electrons start to collect then decide to bust out of the battery.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Same. I charge mine overnight because that's the most convenient time for me. Android kernels have all been trained to do exactly what he said.

    Plus, price of a battery isn't as much as a phone. If mine goes bad, I'll pay for it... :/

    Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    Thanked by 2:
    donec and tetaganda like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Thanks for the replies. Because of it, I searched for "can i overcharge my smartphone?" instead of obsessing about how to use the dock without power.

    One answer led to another until I read this post that made me understand charging. You're right, we can't overcharge a battery, specially Li-ion.

    Want to share it in case others have a similar question and come across this post:





    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    I'll just leave this here:



    And, if you do charge it to 100%, don't leave it plugged in. This is something most of us do, but it's another thing that will degrade your battery's health.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    tetaganda likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    I'll just leave this here:

    Old article, and it doesn't refer to smart chargers. Probably still applies to an electric drill.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    So whats the real deal in charging? So many differing info?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    Old article, and it doesn't refer to smart chargers. Probably still applies to an electric drill.
    "BY WHITSON GORDON JAN 11, 2012 10:00 AM"

    Just about 1 year lol so old.

    Meanwhile battery tech hasn't changed in over 10 years. Yes, leaving your phone plugged in overnight sitting at full charge WILL take it's toll on your battery health. Note, I said health not life. People think this means they won't get as much use during the next day out of the charge, this is not what I am stating. Leaving it plugged in overnight wastes recharge cycles and being kept at max voltage (4.2v) for extended periods of time (8 hours a night) WILL burn out the cells faster, meaning in possibly a year or less you will see significant loss in battery health, leading to shorter charge cycles.

    Please stop denying the facts. Yes in less than 2 years most people will have moved on to a new device, leaving their old battery sitting around collecting dust. At which point it's health won't matter much. But do not argue that it doesn't take a hefty toll on it when it clearly does, as has been proven time and time again through multiple studies and tests.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  10. #10  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    "BY WHITSON GORDON JAN 11, 2012 10:00 AM"

    Just about 1 year lol so old.

    Meanwhile battery tech hasn't changed in over 10 years. Yes, leaving your phone plugged in overnight sitting at full charge WILL take it's toll on your battery health. Note, I said health not life. People think this means they won't get as much use during the next day out of the charge, this is not what I am stating. Leaving it plugged in overnight wastes recharge cycles and being kept at max voltage (4.2v) for extended periods of time (8 hours a night) WILL burn out the cells faster, meaning in possibly a year or less you will see significant loss in battery health, leading to shorter charge cycles.

    Please stop denying the facts. Yes in less than 2 years most people will have moved on to a new device, leaving their old battery sitting around collecting dust. At which point it's health won't matter much. But do not argue that it doesn't take a hefty toll on it when it clearly does, as has been proven time and time again through multiple studies and tests.
    Let's say this is 100% correct. I don't care enough to wake up in the middle of my sleep to unplug. If I need a new battery in a yr and a half ill get one. Its not like i own a Droid DNA or iphone. $12 for a aftermarket battery pack and a 30second Swap and the convienence of plugging of falling asleep and unplug and run in the morning was worth it.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 01-17-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
    tirith 
    serpico and tirith like this.
  11. #11  
    tirith's Avatar
    Resident Linux Fiend

    Posts
    1,590 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    I'm one of the users that usually do leave it on the charger overnight. Know how many batteries I've had to replace? 0. Know how many shorter cycles I've had? None.

    Had an lg optimus for the better of a year and a half. Went on charger overnight. Stock battery was still at ~40% when I'd plug it in every night. Never had an issue.

    How about vehicle docks? I'm not reaching over into my passenger floorboards in the middle of driving to unplug it... that's just unsafe (my daily driver is a 2003 cavalier - 44mpg but that's a different story - look up outlet locations)

    Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Let's say this is 100% correct. I don't care enough to wake up in the middle of my sleep to unplug. If I need a new battery in a yr and a half ill get one. Its not like i own a Droid DNA or iphone. $12 for a aftermarket battery pack and a 30second Swap and the convienence of plugging of falling asleep and unplug and run in the morning was worth it.
    I already covered this scenario in my post. Most people will move on and either replace the device entirely or be forced to get a new battery, which isn't a tragedy in and of itself as you can get an official battery for pretty cheap.

    But my point still stands. Keeping the battery at 100% all night, and plugged in, leads to a faster "killing" of a battery where in a worst case scenario you could be looking at a 50% decline in capacity in one year of use. I just want to get the fact out that yes leaving it plugged in at full charge does have a largely negative impact on the overall conditioning of the cells.

    Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    I'm one of the users that usually do leave it on the charger overnight. Know how many batteries I've had to replace? 0. Know how many shorter cycles I've had? None.
    Assuming you've had a phone for over a year you definitely have seen reduced battery charge cycles.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tetaganda View Post
    Is there a way to use the dock without plugging the power cable?

    I tried to unplug it because it said the phone is fully charged. I did not want to overcharge my battery.

    But when I unplugged the power, the USB drive and keyboard/mouse were disconnected.

    Is there a way in the settings somewhere or an app to disable charging of the phone while docked?

    Thanks for the help!


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    When did you get your smart dock. Its been out of stock on Samsung. Especially with the 50% off coupon. How do you like it.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    When did you get your smart dock. Its been out of stock on Samsung. Especially with the 50% off coupon. How do you like it.
    Got it from shopandroid. It's just $89. Then use coupon code save15 to get 15off and free shipping

    Love it more everyday the more I learn about it.

    It's the first thing I do to start my work day, dock my note and all my work apps are automated, keyboard connects, music starts, Bluetooth turns off,

    Im going to connect it to the tv tonight and mirror netflix. I would return my roku if the note in dock suffices.


    Sent from the best. phone. ever. Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by tetaganda View Post
    Got it from shopandroid. It's just $89. Then use coupon code save15 to get 15off and free shipping

    Love it more everyday the more I learn about it.

    It's the first thing I do to start my work day, dock my note and all my work apps are automated, keyboard connects, music starts, Bluetooth turns off,

    Im going to connect it to the tv tonight and mirror netflix. I would return my roku if the note in dock suffices.


    Sent from the best. phone. ever. Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2
    [Tip]When hooking up to hdmi you can use an app called screen standby which shuts off your screen. This is great for battery charging while hooked up. Also good for pausing for long period of time so screen burn in doesnt set in[/tip]

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
    tetaganda likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    "BY WHITSON GORDON JAN 11, 2012 10:00 AM"

    Just about 1 year lol so old.

    Meanwhile battery tech hasn't changed in over 10 years. Yes, leaving your phone plugged in overnight sitting at full charge WILL take it's toll on your battery health. Note, I said health not life. People think this means they won't get as much use during the next day out of the charge, this is not what I am stating. Leaving it plugged in overnight wastes recharge cycles and being kept at max voltage (4.2v) for extended periods of time (8 hours a night) WILL burn out the cells faster, meaning in possibly a year or less you will see significant loss in battery health, leading to shorter charge cycles.

    Please stop denying the facts. Yes in less than 2 years most people will have moved on to a new device, leaving their old battery sitting around collecting dust. At which point it's health won't matter much. But do not argue that it doesn't take a hefty toll on it when it clearly does, as has been proven time and time again through multiple studies and tests.
    I'm not denying any facts, the problem is we don't know the real facts. We don't know the author's qualifications or where he got his information from or how old that is. What we do know is that the tech changes from generation to generation, and currently a generation is less than a year. This is not 10 year old tech.
    I would suspect, based on my DC power supply background, that these phones do not do what the old analog supplies did, which was just dump power into the battery forever. Smart chargers sample and provide current as needed. They don't feed it continuously. Even the latest power tools - the lowest tech of hi tech - have smart chargers and the manufacturers tell you it's OK to leave them plugged in. I think Samsung is quite a bit higher on the tech scale.

    Basically, we don't know exactly what the chargers in these phones are doing, but we do know that they're software controlled, and it behooves Samsung to make sure the battery is as good as possible at all times.

    I got over two years from my last phone on the original battery and that was docked every night. I never saw a decrease in battery life and that was two generations ago. However, after saying that, I must point out that the plural of anecdote is not data. In other words, just because you or me or Betty or Fred had something good (or bad) happen, it's not necessarily true across the entire line.
    I'd like to see the results of a few of these many studies, but only as long as they are based upon current battery and charger technology, else they are irrelevant. Rest assured that whatever the latest algorithms are and the reasons for choosing those are going to be a trade secret.

    It all boils down to we should each do what works for us, and remember that the cost of a battery is insignificant over a period of 2 or more years. Only a small percentage of us will still have these phones come January of 2015 and you can be sure that a vast majority of them will be replaced while the factory battery is still good.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock



    "High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss."

    I'm tired of beating this horse.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    I was at work yesterday and I plugged in the company phone as it was half drained. I got yelled at by my coworkers telling me I'm killing it by charging it to early. I explained to them how Lithium Ion batteries work and they called me stupid because T-Mobile told them that's a lie. Of course, I'm being a smart as and said T-Mobile and every other companies reps seem to claim this crap and their wrong. Charge cycles are 0% to 100%. If you're granted 500 cycles then doing a charge at 50% grants you 1000 charges to full if done this way at all times.

    I love clueless people. :banghead:


    Note, I charge at night. I've never needed a new battery but if I do $50 won't kill me a year or so later.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.
    TheOtherBill likes this.
  19. #19  
    tirith's Avatar
    Resident Linux Fiend

    Posts
    1,590 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post


    "High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss."

    I'm tired of beating this horse.
    My phone/battery don't heat up unless my screen is on while charging. Either way, I don't trust wiki and I do what works for me.

    Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    My phone/battery don't heat up unless my screen is on while charging. Either way, I don't trust wiki and I do what works for me.
    I feel you bro. Most people will move on by the time their batteries start to reach 50% capacity decay, so it won't affect them.

    I just hate when people say that this is wrong or they don't believe it, when it's been scientifically proven by dozens of groups and universities over the years. It's like ok, I get it, you don't care and it doesn't phase you. But don't dismiss it as "incorrect."
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    it's been scientifically proven by dozens of groups and universities over the years. It's like ok, I get it, you don't care and it doesn't phase you. But don't dismiss it as "incorrect."
    Not incorrect, but rapidly becoming obsolete. It was totally true just a year or two ago - and for many years before that - but the latest tech doesn't have those limitations (except heat beyond specs, that's always a problem).
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    Not incorrect, but rapidly becoming obsolete. It was totally true just a year or two ago - and for many years before that - but the latest tech doesn't have those limitations (except heat beyond specs, that's always a problem).
    Can you back that up? The cell is still Lithium Ion which hasn't changed much. And maintaining a high voltage (4.2v aka 100% capacity) has been shown to cause significant damage to the long term capacity of the cells.

    I'm not sure what the problem is here?
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    The latest generation of smart chargers don't appear to maintain full voltage once the battery is fully charged. The older analog and digital chargers did. I can only go by the manufacturer recommendations, but it seems like a fairly obvious solution - although they keep the schematics and algorithms proprietary, probably because they invested quite a bit to fine tune them.

    Think about how easy* it would be to do: You wait till the current to the battery drops to a certain level. At that point you know the battery is charged. Wait x period of time and peek at the voltage. Pulse with y volts for z time if it's not ideal. Wait then recheck continuously as long as external power is available. If the battery is fully charged and the drain is very low you could be applying power to it for as little as a few seconds an hour.

    *easy in theory. The ideal x,y,and z and voltages used can get very complex, they would probably have to compensate for drain, and both battery and external temperatures, plus determine the best pulse duration and frequency.

    Am I positive this is the way it's done? No. But this is just one way of doing it. They are doing something that allows them to no longer say "for best battery life, remove the device from the charger as soon as it is fully charged". This is different from older devices.

    BTW and along the same lines: I suspect you cannot fully discharge the battery in your Note 2 since the manual states that the phone will shut itself off once voltage becomes too low.
    Thanked by:
    tetaganda likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Help on note 2 smart dock

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    The latest generation of smart chargers don't appear to maintain full voltage once the battery is fully charged. The older analog and digital chargers did. I can only go by the manufacturer recommendations, but it seems like a fairly obvious solution - although they keep the schematics and algorithms proprietary, probably because they invested quite a bit to fine tune them.

    Think about how easy* it would be to do: You wait till the current to the battery drops to a certain level. At that point you know the battery is charged. Wait x period of time and peek at the voltage. Pulse with y volts for z time if it's not ideal. Wait then recheck continuously as long as external power is available. If the battery is fully charged and the drain is very low you could be applying power to it for as little as a few seconds an hour.

    *easy in theory. The ideal x,y,and z and voltages used can get very complex, they would probably have to compensate for drain, and both battery and external temperatures, plus determine the best pulse duration and frequency.

    Am I positive this is the way it's done? No. But this is just one way of doing it. They are doing something that allows them to no longer say "for best battery life, remove the device from the charger as soon as it is fully charged". This is different from older devices.

    BTW and along the same lines: I suspect you cannot fully discharge the battery in your Note 2 since the manual states that the phone will shut itself off once voltage becomes too low.
    Well, have correct. You can fully discharge the battery but it would take some really fail ownership to pull it off. The circuits cut off the device from draining anymore of the battery once it reaches a certain minimum threshold however failure to recharge the battery within a reasonable length of time could mean total discharge. You probably know about that though. That any one of these smart batteries could reach a point in depletion where they cannot sustain the internal circuitry that governs the cells interaction with the device.

    Either way, I agree with you guys that in the big picture it doesn't hurt since these phones/batteries will be replaced. I just want to raise awareness that it is a valid concern. Keeping a Li-Ion battery at max charge (see: voltage) will cause irreversible damage.

    Let's be done with that agreed?

    I believe tetaganda now has all the information they need (and then some lol) to be satisfied here.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Similar Threads

  1. [VIDEO] Galaxy Note Smart Dock Review
    By NZtechfreak in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM
  2. help on smart keyboard
    By Aimar_69 in forum Keyboards
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
  3. Galaxy Note II Smart Dock
    By polsoft in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 06:06 AM
  4. Browser Help on the EVO
    By jedisrus in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
  5. Need help on my rooted my touch 3g hero rom
    By VoLoDaR1 in forum HTC Hero Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 08:34 AM

Posting Permissions

B