Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default 1080p display Poll

When HTC announced that their Droid Dna and butterfly where to have 1080p displays, people criticized them by saying there was no need for it on a 5inch smartphone, that 1080p should be for tablets only. Yet Samsung is most likely going to put a 1080p panel in the s4 and Gn3 yet people are hyped to see that. Whats your opinion on a 1080p display and why? Did you criticize HTC when they released the Dna or Butterfly?

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2

Default Re: 1080p display Poll

no i didn't criticize the screen resolution. 1080 on a 5.5" would be nice, but honestly, I looked at the DNA and noticed the dark banding along all four sides of the screen more so than I noticed any improvement in DISCERNIBLE resolution. A 5.5 or larger screen would obviously benefit more than a smaller one, assuming one looks at each from the same distance. I find the resolution of the current Note 2 to be fine. That doesn't mean if I had had a choice, I'd opt not to have a Note with a higher resolution, of course.
    Samsung Note 2
    SenseMonkey and SevenThree like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    no i didn't criticize the screen resolution. 1080 on a 5.5" would be nice, but honestly, I looked at the DNA and noticed the dark banding along all four sides of the screen more so than I noticed any improvement in DISCERNIBLE resolution. A 5.5 or larger screen would obviously benefit more than a smaller one, assuming one looks at each from the same distance. I find the resolution of the current Note 2 to be fine. That doesn't mean if I had had a choice, I'd opt not to have a Note with a higher resolution, of course.
    Same, current resolution is great but cant ever have too much pixels. :thumbup:

I'd go 1080p if I could. 720p is fine, and the quality is good enough, but can't go wrong with more quality.

The only thing is 1080p vs 720p on a small device will be a lot less noticeable compared to a 40" TV. I haven't seen a 1080p device in person, so can't comment on how it looks compared to a 720p device.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

People act like our screen isnt good enough. DNA and Note 2 have the best screens out Period! you cant lose either way
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Need more memory than the paltry 16...
    bigoldthor likes this.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Gf had and returned the dna. It was noticibly sharper and looked better than my note 2. I mean I love my note 2 screen but it did look better. Doesn't excuse the fact of all the other shortcomings of the dna... *cough* battery

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

I played with the DNA at a Verizon store and it was indeed the most beautiful screen I'd ever seen. That was the only thing I liked about it though. I love EVERYTHING about my Note 2!
    DroidXcon likes this.

Bottom line:

720p RGB SAMOLED > 1080p Pentile SAMOLED

267 ppi on Note 2 > ~36 ppi on your 60" 1080p TV

Do you notice pixels on your 1080p LCD TV? (No.) Then what makes you think you'll notice them on your 720p 5.5" screen with several multiples higher pixel density? Even when you factor view distances, average view distance from a 60" TV is anywhere from 7' to 15'. We'll find a happy medium from that which is about 11'. Factored down 5.5"/60" = ~9%. So 9% of 11' is just about 1' viewing distance. Unless your face is less than 1' away from your phone, you'll never notice the pixels.

Aka - PPI no longer matters. Don't let the marketing machine rule your mind. Go with what makes you happy.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    10,407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I am addicted to rich blacks and poping color. Not a fan of back lit panels. HD screens are plenty.....some packing more ppi than others but if it is not rgb HD amoled like the note 2 or better....dont want it, not even for a few more pixles.
    Last edited by Johnly; 01-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Global Posts
    10,407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    People act like our screen isnt good enough. DNA and Note 2 have the best screens out Period! you cant lose either way
    I read some threads they were calling the note 2 low res. I roflmao for awhile ha ha. This article explains some of why ppi without proper hardware can mean failure. Not that the dna is a fail, but imagine the advantage of battery life and gaming had they put the required hardware in there.

DroidXcon likes this.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Between a 5" 1080p and a half inch bigger 720p, the naked eye well never actually be able to tell a difference... except maybe in areas where the pentile fails where rgb succeeds....

Either way, happy with what I have, but if it was offered now, I'd switch to a 1080 note, as long as it was no bigger than 5.7"

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    Ry likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Bottom line:

720p RGB SAMOLED > 1080p Pentile SAMOLED

267 ppi on Note 2 > ~36 ppi on your 60" 1080p TV

Do you notice pixels on your 1080p LCD TV? (No.) Then what makes you think you'll notice them on your 720p 5.5" screen with several multiples higher pixel density? Even when you factor view distances, average view distance from a 60" TV is anywhere from 7' to 15'. We'll find a happy medium from that which is about 11'. Factored down 5.5"/60" = ~9%. So 9% of 11' is just about 1' viewing distance. Unless your face is less than 1' away from your phone, you'll never notice the pixels.

Aka - PPI no longer matters. Don't let the marketing machine rule your mind. Go with what makes you happy.
    Marketing machine? "Retina" display meant more than just PPI. Distance counts too.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    When HTC announced that their Droid Dna and butterfly where to have 1080p displays, people criticized them by saying there was no need for it on a 5inch smartphone, that 1080p should be for tablets only. Yet Samsung is most likely going to put a 1080p panel in the s4 and Gn3 yet people are hyped to see that. Whats your opinion on a 1080p display and why? Did you criticize HTC when they released the Dna or Butterfly?

1080 on phones will always seem like overkill to me.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

TheOtherBill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Marketing machine? "Retina" display meant more than just PPI. Distance counts too.
    Did you even read my post? I am discrediting the use of ppi as a means of deciding on what screen is better as by today's standards ppi is a thing of the past. Any 720p smartphone is going to have a ppi high enough that without a magnifying glass the average person will be unlikely to distinguish the pixels. This goes back to my hatred of marketing exploiting the simple minds of people who only understand the words High Definition and 1080p > 720p. They don't stop to think how the increased pixel count on a screen the size of your hand is wasted use of resources for something ultimately is totally unnecessary and overkill.

GG

Well, maybe I can help because I dumped a OneX to get the Galaxy Note. Let me also say that I had Cataract Surgery 2 years ago and have high end implants in my eyes. My vision was restored to 20/15 15/10. The Surgeon who did it takes care of US Navy Carrier Pilots.
    Can I tell the difference between the OneX and the GN2? Absolutely. The ONLY thing the OneX has on the Note2 is white levels and brightness levels.
    I was told by a professional that the Galaxy Note 2 had a better Contrast Ratios and superior to the onex on the "Pluge Scale" (measures true black levels)
    The OneX, M7 and DNA have Punch the GN2 has Superior Quality in display Video.
    Do we need 1080? Wait till you see the upcoming Samsung Flexible Non Planar Displays. They will knock your socks off your feet. Plus the perks available, like running notifications on the edge of the display panel.
    The displays will be like living info Portals that we step tbrough an behold, there is your info world before you. 446 ppi. Cant wait.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Stock

How come?

How come?
    I can't speak for Ry, but with everything else equal (especially brighness & contrast) I doubt that more than 10% of us could tell the difference anyway.

But the big thing is the more pixels you have the more power (BOTH processing and battery) it's going to take to run your phone. That's going to subtract from what's available for everything else. So shorter battery life and slower response in return for a display you can't see the difference on? Why?

The one exception would be if you were frequently sending vid from your phone to a large screen TV/monitor.
    Thanked by 2:
    DaRkL3AD3R, Ry and MatroxD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    I can't speak for Ry, but with everything else equal (especially brighness & contrast) I doubt that more than 10% of us could tell the difference anyway.

But the big thing is the more pixels you have the more power (BOTH processing and battery) it's going to take to run your phone. That's going to subtract from what's available for everything else. So shorter battery life and slower response in return for a display you can't see the difference on? Why?

The one exception would be if you were frequently sending vid from your phone to a large screen TV/monitor.
    Ding ding ding! Winner!

I now bestow upon you the Logical Thinker award. Congratulations on having a clue
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    Stock

+1 :thumbup:

Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    10,407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Ha ha, ya,ll crack me up

Ry

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts

How come?

Because

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

I see a big difference but I still love my note2.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    I see a big difference but I still love my note2.
    A lot of time it's a mental difference... because you're mind knows it's 1080 over 720...

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

I don't think it's that important in the big score of things.

The DNA, that's "all" it had going for it to differentiate. It just is a big screen on a phone. The battery life isn't insane like the note either. Samsung can afford to pay with higher resolution screens if they want, as they have battery life and total package already. They also are, from what I read a few days ago, are working on newer LiIon tech that will increase life even further in a smaller package. You add to that their display tech, and the life will probably once again blow the faces of the rest of the devices.

HTC and the rest are really not doing anything different to even command the price for they're devices with larger screens. It's great to have a large screen, but what are you going to do with it? Answer calls and charge it 20 times a day? Lol!

I would like a larger screen as they are prodding for the new note devices. With their features(which I'm sure they are going to expand on the next generation of devices), it's sincerely worth while.

At least for me, all the above reasons would make me excited

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast