Flip Cover: Screen On/Off Control

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I've tried 3-4 apps that claim to turn the screen on/off simply by opening/closing the flip cover. None of them worked well for me. They either don't seem to do anything, or they shut off the screen when the cover is *almost* closed, but then turn it back on when it's closed all the way. I know they're supposed to use the proximity sensors and even the front camera lens.

Anyone have any luck with a particular app or suggestions? I love the idea, but the results have been disappointing. And I don't want to put a piece of white tape on the inside of the cover to make it work better, as one developer suggested.

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
You need to understand how the proximity sensor works... it reflects infrared light back and that's how it detects if there is something in front of it. Reflected back means there is something, absorbed or no signal back means there is nothing there. The official covers doesn't reflect, it absorbs. That's why when you press really hard and it's directly on the sensor it assumes there is nothing there, and why when you pull it back so that there's the extra distance it helps with the reflecting back.

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll quote the developer of the app that the person above me is showing you: "IMPORTANT: If your case is black or dark on the inside, the sensor may not read correctly when the case is closed. To fix this, put a piece of light colored tape on the inside of the case where it lines up with the sensor (located next to the front camera)".

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll quote the developer of the app that the person above me is showing you: "IMPORTANT: If your case is black or dark on the inside, the sensor may not read correctly when the case is closed. To fix this, put a piece of light colored tape on the inside of the case where it lines up with the sensor (located next to the front camera)".

As I said in my original post, I don't want to put a piece of tape on the inside of my flip case. I know it would probably work better, but I'm also particular about aesthetics and I know that would drive me batty.

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I use the Smart Stay feature in the phone. If you close the flip cover the sensor can't find your eyes and turns off!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Would it auto turn on too once you open the flip cover?

Thanks,

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

No it would not, ,thats why this app is so great. I now love it when i open the cover and the screen comes on . Brilliant app.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm able to get the app to turn the screen on, but no luck so far with turning the screen off.
I also noticed that my screen is dim when I open the cover. If I tap the screen it will change to the correct brightness. Any way to adjust the screen brightness?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I ended up trying out Simpe Cover Lock (Beta). So far it seems to do a better job turning the screen on and off. I'll see how it does with battery life.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=net.zalio.android.cso&token=myXS3N-g

I also disabled the swipe to unlock. Now when I open the cover it takes me back to the last application I was running.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Works great with leather case from Verizon Thx. Now to see how it affects battery life

Sent from Note 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Works great with leather case from Verizon Thx. Now to see how it affects battery life

Sent from Note 2

Simple Cover Lock (Beta) seemed to affect my battery life somewhat. I decided to give IntelliCover a try, and it doesn't use nearly as much battery power. I also like how gives me the option to set my phone to vibrate whenever the sensor is used. Now I know if the screen is turned off when I close the case.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.dragonnis.intellicover&token=jwTY7lFK

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
As I said in my original post, I don't want to put a piece of tape on the inside of my flip case. I know it would probably work better, but I'm also particular about aesthetics and I know that would drive me batty.

I didn't put anything on my cover. It's the Titanium Samsung flip cover.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
After trying out several of the apps that turn the screen off using the proximity sensor, I noticed that my device would be awake all day. Even after disabling the apps and uninstalling them, it continued to stay awake. I did a factory reset, and everything was fine again. Decided to try the apps again, and my device stayed awake once again. Removing the apps didn't solve the issue, so I did another factory reset. This time around I decided not to install the apps. So far my phone is working as it should. Since I tried out several of the apps, I'm not sure which one may be the culprit. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Simple Cover Lock (Beta) seemed to affect my battery life somewhat. I decided to give IntelliCover a try, and it doesn't use nearly as much battery power. I also like how gives me the option to set my phone to vibrate whenever the sensor is used. Now I know if the screen is turned off when I close the case.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.dragonnis.intellicover&token=_wh6Cdoj

of ten items on my battery usage list, the app used the least--2%. Geez, the wallpaper is the second item, behind Screen. screen 21%, wallpaper 21%, android system 13%, Android OS 6% and so on. to me, the app's drain on the battery is negligible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie