Apps I need and why

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the apps I use work together to make my phone more useful, easier to use, give more functionality, connect my user experience across my different devices and aid in making my life more successful. These are by no means all the apps I need and want (that changes every day almost) but another post made me think I should make this thread.

Write & Rotate
Work together to make my note writing easier. Write is like a plained ruled paper and has recognize pen only feature which means I can lay my hand on the screen while I write without problems associated with S-Note. Rotate works with Write to force the Note 2 into reverse portrait mode which moves the buttons to the top of the phone meaning I don't accidentally touch the back home or menu buttons while writing.

Power Toggles
Works with the above and other apps to provide a toolbar that gives me one touch access to things like putting the phone in reverse portrait mode and back into auto rotate or landscape with No Screen Off for when I want to have a animated fish tank showing just for looks. Also provides one touch airplane mode and other functions.

3Cats Clock is the only decent clock with seconds showing.

Cool Reader the best e book reader

Encrypted Notepad used to encrypt notes like my list of passwords that works with Android, Windows 7 and Linux.

Firefox provides me with the means to have the same bookmarks on all my devices and platforms while also making my Note 2 web experience like being on a desktop/laptop.

Fora Dictionary works with Cool Reader to lookup words and is also a good stand alone dictionary.

Talkatone is the best (IMO) WiFi phone service and since I carry my WiFi hotspot with me I use it to make my calls.

Hacker's Keyboard is the only keyboard that offers a delete key, control key function and cursor movement keys in one neat package.

No Screen Off works with rotate and my fish tank apps to keep my phone on when I have it in my dock.

Small Text Editor the best simple text editor.

Sticky Notes Widget allows me to have a list of my appointments showing on a transparent background on my home page.

WiFi Transfer Pro transfers files between all my devices and platforms.

Word Web a great dictionary

ES File Explorer the most complete file explorer for free

Air Calc a small calculator that behaves like a floating window working with the multi windows function of the Note 2.

Last edited:

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this list. I may give a few of them a try. You sound like me, as I'm always looking for apps that help me do things more efficiently, consolidate tasks, find cool tips, tricks, and tools that just make life easier and more enjoyable for a gadget geek. I really don't get into gaming much.

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing there is a way to turn off the stock notification toggles? I have been torn over whether I like them or not. On my Nexus 4 I had been using Notification Toggles, which worked well. I will be rooting my Note 2 today if I get a chance.

Michael

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Keyring is a great app. Put all your discount cards on it. Works great. I have been using this app for 3 years now.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

John Alexander1

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a talkatone type app. I'm actually trying pinger right now but it appears you have to "buy" minutes. I've never used this type of app before (or even a smart phone for that matter) so i'm still learning a lot. Does talkatone charge for minutes? What's the best free wifi app for texting/calling. My 18 year old got a girlfriend and my phone minutes are adding up. Thx.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a talkatone type app. I'm actually trying pinger right now but it appears you have to "buy" minutes. I've never used this type of app before (or even a smart phone for that matter) so i'm still learning a lot. Does talkatone charge for minutes? What's the best free wifi app for texting/calling. My 18 year old got a girlfriend and my phone minutes are adding up. Thx.
Talkatone does not charge for minutes but they have a premium offer that is about $20 per year that gets rid of the ads (which are easy to ignore) and is supposed to provide a better connection among some other things. On the Nexus 4 I had the premium helped and the Nexus 4 needed the help, but with the Note 2 I see no effect as the connection is always good. There is a function for SMS but since I don't text I don't know anything about it. You should know Talkatone only works when there is WiFi available so it should really only be considered a way to save. I run my Note 2 in airplane mode and data turned off with WiFi turned on because I keep a WiFi hotspot with me all the time, but I still have a Pay as you go account with T-mobile where I pay $10 for 30 min every 90 days and when it is time for paying another $10 if I have any minutes left they roll over. This kind of account does not come with a data plan.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Skype allows texting and calling and is free.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Write & Rotate
Work together to make my note writing easier. Write is like a plained ruled paper and has recognize pen only feature which means I can lay my hand on the screen while I write without problems associated with S-Note.

If the problem is unwanted scrolling make sure Settings->Air View->List Scrolling is unchecked.