-Pen Not Working on Part of Screen

glaustin

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys
I just bought a Galaxy Note 2; great stuff! I'm pleasantly impressed by it's acuracy of the S-pen (and I've used it to do a lot of meeting notes in the last two days!). But all of a sudden, the S-pen stopped working down the left-hand side on about a quarter of the screen. It won't even tick check boxes in my mail application either. It's a bit iriating but it doesn't seem to be the screen as I can write or check boxes using my finger.

Anyone any ideas on what's one wrong and what I can do to fix the problem?

Regards,
Graham

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What kind 9f case do you have on it? I hear the seidio kickstand vases can interfere with it...I actually don't have the case so I cannot confirm

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

glaustin

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys
Yes, my finger works in the area the pen doesn't. FYI, it's the same writing in S-notes or in a Polaris Word doc

I don't have a case at the moment, but I put a screen protector over the screen until I get a case. The thing is it worked with the protector until yesterday.

Any thoughts?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Could be the way the s pen interacts with the digitizer in that quadrant. Try someone else's s pen if you know someone else with one, or go to a cell phone store/electronics store that may have them on display to try their s pen.

If the other s pen works in the area, it could be a faulty s pen. If their s pen does not work as well, you may have lost the capacitive ability of the digitizer in that area. That would usually require a screen replacement at the least.

Your finger still works because it should use the resistive part of the digitizer.

And as for the Seidio stand case interfering with the digitizer, I have had one on my phone since they first came out and still have full functionality of my screen with the s pen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing it's a problem with the sensors IN the screen (if it were the S-Pen, it wouldn't work at all). If you've had your Note 2 for a couple of weeks, you're probably better off RUNNING to the store and get a warranty replacement ASAP before the warranty only covers repairs, not instant replacements.

ponjait

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
@vishal68

You solve my whole days frustration in 5 seconds...I immediately throw that magnet contant cover in the dust bin.....

Thanks for writing the solution in the forum....

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a seido case and the magnet does interfere with some areas on the lower part of the screen. It is also annoying that my finger always touches the back button and then it exits the app, but that is another story...

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Android Central Forums

Marvijo

May 8, 2013
Visit site
@vishal68: Oh oh....*out of words* Thank you very much. Hug (I'm very straight though lol), virtualHandShake, gratitude. Thank you. I'm using a Note 2 GTN7100 and I live in South Africa

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
And as for the Seidio stand case interfering with the digitizer, I have had one on my phone since they first came out and still have full functionality of my screen with the s pen.
Mine has no problem either. :)
I investigated this issue thoroughly on multiple forums before getting my Seidio Active case. Some cases on some phones did experience a problem to varying degrees - from "a dead spot" to "functions normally but a straight line drawn over the magnet has a small bump in it". Nobody ever reported losing more than a small area around the magnet.

It is incorrect for anyone to say the cases will cause a problem. As far as I was able to determine it was a very small minority who had the problem.

I was unable to find out if a different case on the same phone (or the reverse) solved the problem, so I can't say if some magnets were stronger, or some phones were more sensitive. People are quick to complain but slow to come back and report the solution.

Note that that a reputable company (Seidio) did look into it and decide it was not a problem.

SmithMr01

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this very supportive post.

This has saved me from a very embarrassing scene in the mobile phone shop.

One certainly very, very embarrassing scene...... :confused:

Regards

UFOslava

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh wow, you saved my phone!

Case magnet was right behind the dead area :O
Move the magnet, pen works again.

Problem's gone, thanks!

Kelly Franz

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I am so glad I read this thread. IT WAS MY CASE. I bought a cute purse case that has a magnetic clasp right behind the part of the screen that was not sensing the s-pen. Removed it from the case, works fine. THANKS

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I dont have a case on my N2 and I have the same issue intermittently with more times not working than does. Im going to call Samsung and V Z to see what can be done

Posted via Android Central App

sperho

May 31, 2010
Visit site
New Note 10.1 2014 edition owner here - this thread saved a trip to the store. Thanks! I was going bonkers with what I suspected was a piece of turd device on my hands...

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow...so glad I came back to this thread and re-rwad some of the posts.....I take back what I said...I have a shell with a kickstand...the kickstand has a magnet...guess where the magnet is! Tested writing with and without the shell.....I will no longer use the shell!

Posted via Android Central App

CursiveTea

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As always, my problems are answered here. Bought a nice leather case with a clasp that goes 'round back and attaches with a magnet. Therein explains the reason why my s-pen was not working in that particular spot. Kudos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance