Galaxy Note 2 on WiFi only?

PrompterBob

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time Apple fanboy who loves his iPhone. I've been intrigued by Android and I'm considering getting a Galaxy Note II to dabble with. I'd like to avoid having to pay monthly cell charges and only want to use it primarily as a mini-tablet via WiFi. Is this possible? Does it need a SIM? Does it need to be unlocked? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Prompter Bob

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually there's no nagging unless you want to use phone-specific features like the Dialer or SMS. It will show a prompt each time you boot your device, though, just like any other PHONE (if there's no SIM card to be recognized, it'll let you know that it won't work as a phone). But using the device for other purposes (all other apps, games, etc.) should not be a problem on WiFi or even offline mode. I used my old Galaxy SII on WiFi for about a month because I somehow managed to break the GSM antenna in it :(

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I used my Note 2 for 2 weeks on just WiFi and only time I got message about a sim is the first time I turned it on. I used Talkatone to make calls via WiFi and now I have added a sim just to have as a backup for phone calls if I am out of range for my hotspots WiFi signal. Really works great as a mini-tablet via WiFi.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I just have to ask why? This phone costs 700+ brand new. You have plenty of tablet choices in the under 500 category that are wifi only.

Sent via Tapatalk

PrompterBob

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I just have to ask why? This phone costs 700+ brand new. You have plenty of tablet choices in the under 500 category that are wifi only.
Sent via Tapatalk

I don't want to carry around a big tablet. I like my Kindle Fire but even that's a bit too big - and it's a lame tablet.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Is it only the Verizon version that nags you for no SIM? When I received mine I skipped activation till I could get up to the store to grab a SIM (I had a 3G device before) and it left a recurring notification that said something like No SIM Detected.

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My son has a ipod touch and the galaxy player. Doesn't even use his ipod any more.

True the player doesn't have the s-pen but Verizon has disabled so many options for it that I don't use it much anyway.

The galaxy player is running Gingerbread.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7