Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best app that "nobody's heard of"

Curious about what app(s) you find indispensable or just otherwise absolutely love, but that gets very little or no coverage. We all know the big name apps, like Swiftkey, Dolphin, Chrome, Firefox, Beautiful Widgets, Flipboard, Handcent, GO SMS, Nova, Tapatalk, Scoremobile, Zedge, etc. But what about some of the others?

For me (and I really don't know how well-known this app is or isn't) but it's Drippler. It's a news feed app that let's me get custom feeds on only the Galaxy Note 2, or any other device I want. There are probably others one out there, but this is the one I happened to stumble across and now use every day, several times. (I also prefer Pulse to Flipboard, but I think Pulse is pretty well known.)

How about you? What gems have you discovered that "nobody's heard of"?

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Default Re: Best app that "nobody's heard of"

Funny thing about drippler.. I found it like 2 months ago and frequently mention it on these forums.

Magnify by appd labs is a good one. Can take macro magnified photos of teeny tiny objects.

Splashtop. A remote desktop for windows 7. Streams well enough that
    I can play diablo 3 or WoW on my phone fron the couch in the living room.

Mx player. Probably well known but awesome all around video player.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I like "Dumpster" which allows you to undelete files without being rooted--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...loota.dumpster
    Thanked by 3:

I hope this thread gets a sticky, be nice to hear about great apps, I havent made any great dicovers myself but when I do ill shout out
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Another great app (actually widget is "aCalendar". It's a free widget/app I discovered it while looking for a nice-looking, full page calendar widget that synced well with google. I really like this one...seems to work perfectly with google, has a nice interface, and is pretty customizable. I can't really find anything bad to say about it so far. Here is a play store link if you want to check it out. (And I am in no way affiliated with this company or developer.)
    Thanked by 2:
    Dukinsgarl6 

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    Funny thing about drippler.. I found it like 2 months ago and frequently mention it on these forums.

Magnify by appd labs is a good one. Can take macro magnified photos of teeny tiny objects.

Splashtop. A remote desktop for windows 7. Streams well enough that
    I can play diablo 3 or WoW on my phone fron the couch in the living room.

Mx player. Probably well known but awesome all around video player.

Sent via Tapatalk
    I downloaded Magnify today. I was impressed with how well it zoomed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My favorite non popular apps are...

Our Groceries. It allows me to add grocery items from my laptop, Android, iOS, and Blackberry devices.

X-plorer file manager. Allows me to quickly transfer files from my Android device to and from my Dropbox, Google Drive, Picasa, etc., accounts.

Boat Browser. Allows me to zoom in and double tap the screen, to make the text reflow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....home2shortcut

Home2 Shortcut

I use this ALL the time because I wanted a quick way to access my camera when the phone is off. I have it set up so that I just double click my home button (when phone is off) and it immediately goes to camera!

Sent from my Samung "Brick"
    the devastator likes this.

Mine is Epistle. Let's my sync basic notes to Dropbox and access them on my Windows PC or another device. My most used app.
    Thanked by:
    m4p 

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom v5.1

Here's my top 2:

GPS test - it does what the title says, but the thing I like is that when your in the app you can hit share and it sends your location in a link by text that can be directly opened into Google maps. Very useful if your trying to get picked up by someone or trying to find someone

Smart status bar - this is one of my all time favorite and most used applications. It's free, and it simply let's you pull down from the top of the screen in a full screen applications. Really useful when you want to check the time or get a text while playing a game, or need to toggle auto rotation while watching something

Sent from my HTC One X
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by sropedia View Post
    Here's my top 2:

GPS test - it does what the title says, but the thing I like is that when your in the app you can hit share and it sends your location in a link by text that can be directly opened into Google maps. Very useful if your trying to get picked up by someone or trying to find someone

Smart status bar - this is one of my all time favorite and most used applications. It's free, and it simply let's you pull down from the top of the screen in a full screen applications. Really useful when you want to check the time or get a text while playing a game, or need to toggle auto rotation while watching something

Sent from my HTC One X
    Did you know you can swipe down the status bar without that app? Lucid mike made a video regarding that. I've done it a few times myself.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom v5.1

Quote Originally Posted by jodyberry View Post
    Did you know you can swipe down the status bar without that app? Lucid mike made a video regarding that. I've done it a few times myself.

Depends what phone you have

Sent from my HTC One X

Depends what phone you have

Sent from my HTC One X
    Ahh. Gotcha! But this IS a Note 2 thread!

Last edited by jodyberry; 01-28-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    zolgi likes this.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom v5.1

Touch, but I'm on Tapatalk and saw this under the recent threads tab, and it seemed like something I could contribute to

Sent from my HTC One X

Llama. It's a location aware app for automation tasks for basically anything. Like tasker but allot simpler. I've been using it for about 3yrs and its just gotten better and better. More and more capable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    the devastator likes this.

Touch, but I'm on Tapatalk and saw this under the recent threads tab, and it seemed like something I could contribute to

Sent from my HTC One X
    Just playin'! I do the same thing myself!!

Thanked by:

what does Drippler do? I use the handwriting to text app for writing text messages and typing on forums, Also I've been using Any.do for tasks its also nice when you miss calls to remind you to call back

My favorite app would have to be Windroid. A great Email app that is still in Beta form. I have used a bunch of different Email apps and this IMO is the best out there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Falcon for Twitter

Track it deluxe, hurricane tracker

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

My must have list includes:

Screen Filter, an easy to use app that toggles the brightness of your screen down way below minimum on stock. Great for reading in bed without killing your eyes.

Simple Workout Log
    A simple but easy to use no frills workout logging program. Highly recommended if you normally would use pen and paper. Developer is awesome and quick to reply to issues and fix them.

Keep Track Pro
    A great app for tracking anything. I use it to record daily goals and my tips that I earn serving. So customisable but simple to learn.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by Cattails_r_Edible View Post
    Falcon for Twitter

Track it deluxe, hurricane tracker

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me
    Funny - I'm reading your signature thinking it's a cool game and wondering why the Play store doesn't have it!!

eibbed0001 and Tokio_Love like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyjoe View Post
    My favorite app would have to be Windroid. A great Email app that is still in Beta form. I have used a bunch of different Email apps and this IMO is the best out there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Okay big thanks man. I was using aqua mail and thought I would try win droid, and now winDroid is my main email client.

Don't know if its okay to post this, because i'd be advocating "illegal" downloads and what not, but the Pirate Bay app and tTorrent are two underrated apps for me. I use Pirate Bay to find new episodes of TV shows, or new movies in great quality, or even albums or apps. Once I use Pirate Bay to find them, tTorrent extracts them to a folder on my phone and BOOM. Downloaded 3 episodes of Supernatural, Taken 2, and Flight all onto my phone in 30 minutes over wifi. Great quality for a lot of the shows too. Now when i'm bored somewhere, I'll always have movies/shows (or at least a means to download movies/shows) while I play the waiting game for maybe a flight or mechanic or something. No need for me to download on my computer, then drag it to my phone or fiddle with any of that. Just queue movies up to download, lay it down, and im good to go. When im done watching what im watching, I delete it and download something else. Never ending supply of movies on the go for me.

EDIT: Thought about a couple other great apps.

1.) Wallbase HD for wallpapers. EVERYTHING is super high quality and they have a TON of wallpapers in just about every category.
    2.) Any.DO: Clean, beautiful task manager app. Honestly, when people talk about ugly apps on Android, this app makes me think people just aren't looking hard enough. Nice looking and functional, with widgets and support for lock screen widgets and syncing with google task.
    Thanked by 2:
    Mark Morrison likes this.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom v5.1

Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    Don't know if its okay to post this, because i'd be advocating "illegal" downloads and what not, but the Pirate Bay app and tTorrent are two underrated apps for me. I use Pirate Bay to find new episodes of TV shows, or new movies in great quality, or even albums or apps. Once I use Pirate Bay to find them, tTorrent extracts them to a folder on my phone and BOOM. Downloaded 3 episodes of Supernatural, Taken 2, and Flight all onto my phone in 30 minutes over wifi. Great quality for a lot of the shows too. Now when i'm bored somewhere, I'll always have movies/shows (or at least a means to download movies/shows) while I play the waiting game for maybe a flight or mechanic or something. No need for me to download on my computer, then drag it to my phone or fiddle with any of that. Just queue movies up to download, lay it down, and im good to go. When im done watching what im watching, I delete it and download something else. Never ending supply of movies on the go for me.

EDIT: Thought about a couple other great apps.

1.) Wallbase HD for wallpapers. EVERYTHING is super high quality and they have a TON of wallpapers in just about every category.
    2.) Any.DO: Clean, beautiful task manager app. Honestly, when people talk about ugly apps on Android, this app makes me think people just aren't looking hard enough. Nice looking and functional, with widgets and support for lock screen widgets and syncing with google task.
    Wallbase is a favorite of mine as well

Sent from my HTC One X
    Thanked by:
    DeadpoolJunior likes this.

run keeper... simple activity tracker using gps. select activity type and it gives you 5min Increment updates with distance and speed. tracks on "maps"your route, etc.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast