Who's leaving for the new BlackBerry phones?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he had to compare it to windows phone simply because bb10 isn't comparable to android or iOS.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Actually, I compared Blackberry to Windows phone because Blackberry outsold Windows phone in 2012 by a huge margin.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a "grasp". right... RIM is going to be everyone's darling (oh wait, that requires a time machine...) again. If you THINK that they don't have to compete then I think YOU are the one that is missing something.

BTW, just curious, how much stock have you got in RIMM (soon to be BBRY)?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a "grasp". right... RIM is going to be everyone's darling (oh wait, that requires a time machine...) again. If you THINK that they don't have to compete then I think YOU are the one that is missing something.

BTW, just curious, how much stock have you got in RIMM (soon to be BBRY)?

It's called a niche market. They don't need to compete with the two top dogs, they just need to supersede Windows phone for the number 3 slot and hold their position as the standard business phone, both of which they were managing to do even with their painfully outdated previous generation of devices.

I have absolutely no RIM stock, but I think now is probably a good time to buy some. I used Blackberries for a while but have been thoroughly unimpressed with their last couple generations of hardware. After using the new Z10 I am blown away with the progress they have made and enthralled with many features BB10 presents that are not available from any competitor.

SOULESSLY

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
They definitely need to compete, most financial companies give you an option of blackberry or iPhone now unlike just the blackberry years ago!

I recently ended my decade long relationship with bb exactly two weeks ago when I changed to the Samsung Galaxy S3. When I left bb, i felt like a woman who thought her husband was the cutest thing ever and then went out and saw that he was actually the ugliest mofo walking the face of the earth. The possibilities are endless with the android in comparison to bb, I can't believe everyday how long I waited for blackberry to "grow up" but they never did.

I don't care if they unveil 3 different upgrades to the bb in one year, I would NEVER go back.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It's called a niche market. They don't need to compete with the two top dogs, they just need to supersede Windows phone for the number 3 slot and hold their position as the standard business phone, both of which they were managing to do even with their painfully outdated previous generation of devices.

I have absolutely no RIM stock, but I think now is probably a good time to buy some. I used Blackberries for a while but have been thoroughly unimpressed with their last couple generations of hardware. After using the new Z10 I am blown away with the progress they have made and enthralled with many features BB10 presents that are not available from any competitor.

I've read countless reviews and descriptions of what the new BB do. I see not a SINGLE item that they do that appeals to ME. Perhaps for YOU. But not this old boy. When I had a BB I always wondered why anyone would opt for one ( my wife talked me into getting one--still a bone of contention, as she said I didn't have to agree to get them. yeah right. :) ) due to the problems we (and most every other BB owner had) had with them. Fast forward to 2013 and RIM is in the unenviable position of playing catch up, but for all intents and purposes they haven't really caught up, as new phones from the competition are just a few months away and the second BB to hit is going to be out in April?? WOW! They are going to have their lunch handed to them. They will likely get bought out, is my prognostication.

I repeat, there is NOTHING in BB10 that I find compelling. Different? sure. compelling? Nope.

I remember when the Playbook hit Best Buy. I was there on day one. No one was looking at it. I mean NO ONE, in a busy store. A week later I asked one the employees how it was selling. They said they couldn't sell them because people couldn't just pick them up and use them. The interface wasn't intuitive. I was surprised, but hey, that's the truth of the matter. Joe and Mary Sixpack had no idea how to do things on the PB. Was QNX on the PB (early model) somewhat cool? Absolutely. But...it didn't sell and was half baked with many core apps missing.

Now here we are in 2013 and having a DIFFERENT interface isn't enough. Especially when RIM acknowledges that they will have to teach people how to use it. That doesn't bode well for selling to the average consumer. I can just see it now--geeks will find it to be a badge of honor to understand all the subtleties of the UX, but that's only going to impress other as yet enlightened geeks and maybe their friends and family. People are inherently lazy. They don't want to study up on a new interface. Look at the tepid response consumers have given Win 8. I've used Win 8. I don't like it either, as it solves no problems for me. Products should do things BETTER than the competition. Not be different, for the sake of uniqueness.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
from a cnet article:

" Don't hold your breath for a sequel to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Speaking to the press yesterday during the BlackBerry 10 launch event, CEO Thorsten Heins wasn't particularly upbeat about tablets.

"The tablet business is rather difficult," he conceded. "

Wow! Just wow. When the CEO concedes the tablet market in this day and age, I rest my case that RIM is in dire straits.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
from a cnet article:

" Don't hold your breath for a sequel to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Speaking to the press yesterday during the BlackBerry 10 launch event, CEO Thorsten Heins wasn't particularly upbeat about tablets.

"The tablet business is rather difficult," he conceded. "

Wow! Just wow. When the CEO concedes the tablet market in this day and age, I rest my case that RIM is in dire straits.

This isn't about the tablet market, this is about the phone market. They tested the waters with tablets and decided it wasn't worth their time.

RIM is making a profit at this point in time, they have zero reason to sell out. RIM is in a firm third place and unless something changes dramatically in the windows phone world, they'll continue to hold that title.

And no compelling features? Really. Like literally every reviewer has said that no other touch keyboard even comes CLOSE to being as good as BB10s. Nobody else offers unified inbox features either. They have camera software that is light years ahead of the competition and the smoothest and most powerful multitasking of any mobile platform.

This will be the device of choice for businesses and anyone else who wants the most efficient communication tool available. Blackberry doesn't need to win back any customers (though I'm sure they wouldn't mind if they did) they just need to maintain their current level of sales to stay profitable.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
They definitely need to compete, most financial companies give you an option of blackberry or iPhone now unlike just the blackberry years ago!

I recently ended my decade long relationship with bb exactly two weeks ago when I changed to the Samsung Galaxy S3. When I left bb, i felt like a woman who thought her husband was the cutest thing ever and then went out and saw that he was actually the ugliest mofo walking the face of the earth. The possibilities are endless with the android in comparison to bb, I can't believe everyday how long I waited for blackberry to "grow up" but they never did.

I don't care if they unveil 3 different upgrades to the bb in one year, I would NEVER go back.

Actually, most don't. As of 4 months ago, RIM possessed over 90% of their enterprise and government contracts from 2006.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I read all about the keyboard. it's not like I am missing out on these factoids. I simply don't care. I mostly talk to my phone to type or use the sammy "swype" KB.

Ah, the camera's quality has be soundly lambasted for being crappy. not sure where you read it's great, but I've read numerous complaints about the camera.

I'm sure some businesses might forget all about the "fool me one, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" principle. Not my problem. Nor is it of concern to Joe Q. Public.

Efficient, BTW? Just how do you arrive at that comment? My BB was awful at pretty much EVERYTHING, including BBM, which would go down for long periods of time, messages weren't delivered, I had truncated emails. Because everything went through RIM servers browsing the internet was glacially slow, even if I was on wifi, as my BB only had 3G service of course. I'm not going to list again, all the negatives that I've read about in voluminous detail the past two days. I don't need to pick up a BB to know I don't want one. No S Pen? No sale, anyway. :) Talk about "efficient", how efficient is your BB when you can't sign or annotate documents and contracts.

- - - Updated - - -

that's just two mentioned. the list of missing apps is far greater than that, my friend.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My old BB Curve 8300 had Pandora.

My Storm 2 had it too. In the year+ that I had a BB, did it EVER play correctly, you ask? "NO". except on rare occasions. It would stutter, echo, stop playing, you name it, it did it, all too frequently. It acted up on the many copies of the Storm and Storm 2's that I had ( I think I had 7 of them, all together)

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I read all about the keyboard. it's not like I am missing out on these factoids. I simply don't care. I mostly talk to my phone to type or use the sammy "swype" KB.

Ah, the camera's quality has be soundly lambasted for being crappy. not sure where you read it's great, but I've read numerous complaints about the camera.

I'm sure some businesses might forget all about the "fool me one, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" principle. Not my problem. Nor is it of concern to Joe Q. Public.

Efficient, BTW? Just how do you arrive at that comment? My BB was awful at pretty much EVERYTHING, including BBM, which would go down for long periods of time, messages weren't delivered, I had truncated emails. Because everything went through RIM servers browsing the internet was glacially slow, even if I was on wifi, as my BB only had 3G service of course. I'm not going to list again, all the negatives that I've read about in voluminous detail the past two days. I don't need to pick up a BB to know I don't want one. No S Pen? No sale, anyway. :) Talk about "efficient", how efficient is your BB when you can't sign or annotate documents and contracts.

- - - Updated - - -

that's just two mentioned. the list of missing apps is far greater than that, my friend.

I said camera software, not hardware. No other OEM has anything that compare with timeshift.

We're not talking about 3 year old devices we're talking about BB10. Having the fastest, most accurate keyboard combined the quickest and most seem less multitasking paired with the best security makes it an obvious choice for business purposes. This is a tool, not a toy.

I'm sorry you can't understand the concept of a market existing for something that doesn't appeal to you personally.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My old BB Curve 8300 had Pandora.
My Storm 2 had it too. In the year+ that I had a BB, did it EVER play correctly, you ask? "NO". except on rare occasions. It would stutter, echo, stop playing, you name it, it did it, all too frequently. It acted up on the many copies of the Storm and Storm 2's that I had ( I think I had 7 of them, all together)
It always worked fine on my Torch, I don't recall ever having a problem with it.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
well, i dont have a Note but i have a Nexus 4 and I would never leave android for a BB ever.

although BB10 looks nice with tons of feature added.

Doesn't matter how many nice features there are if you can''t find the apps you want. I learned this the hard way, three years ago with my Windows 6.5 phone, finding that there were hardly any apps available for my purposes. Everything was either iOS or Android. BB was the first, so there must have been a time when there were only BB apps and nothing else, but at that time the total universe of apps was much, much, much smaller. Perhaps RIM, back then, saw the other platforms as being more entertainment oriented and therefore not a threat to their corporate customer base. And as there were fewer apps in the world, it was easier for another OS to overtake it in the availability of apps for all sorts of uses. Now that BB is such a distant third, who wants to develop for that platform?

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I understand that there is a market for BB! What I have been saying in essence, is that John Q. Public isn't interested. RIM will sell millions. McDonalds sells Billions of burgers, all of which I detest. :) Plenty of people are fine with eating at the Golden Arches, and some folks will rock a BB, but not in appreciable numbers in comparison to the competition. BB10 just isn't god's gift to the world. RIM is an also-ran. If RIM could be more like McDonalds, I'd be pretty darn impressed, even if I don't like their product(s).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I understand that there is a market for BB! What I have been saying in essence, is that John Q. Public isn't interested. RIM will sell millions. McDonalds sells Billions of burgers, all of which I detest. :) Plenty of people are fine with eating at the Golden Arches, and some folks will rock a BB, but not in appreciable numbers in comparison to the competition. BB10 just isn't god's gift to the world. RIM is an also-ran. If RIM could be more like McDonalds, I'd be pretty darn impressed, even if I don't like their product(s).

I like Mcdowell's myself:

MCDOWELLS_zps9b26aaae.jpg

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Never. They may have a new platform and new handsets, but they haven't fixed any of the core issues with the blackberry experience. They'll be bought within the year.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol