Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 66 of 66
Like Tree30Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Doubling storage usually results in $100 increments(apple). You can get a 64gb sd for $50. Seems more economically correct than $100 for 16gb more internally. No? THAT is why they do it. Not everyone needs the whole 16gb. That's what android is about, customization. A lot of people, like myself, hate the high internal storage with no sd slot like Apple does. It's like Communism

    sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Razr ics rooted
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by kgk1985 View Post
    Doubling storage usually results in $100 increments(apple). You can get a 64gb sd for $50. Seems more economically correct than $100 for 16gb more internally. No? THAT is why they do it. Not everyone needs the whole 16gb. That's what android is about, customization. A lot of people, like myself, hate the high internal storage with no sd slot like Apple does. It's like Communism

    sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Yes but they don't allow you to store apps or app data on the sd card. You have to root the phone and jump through hoops to do that. This is idiotic on their part and does not benefit us at all, and they should put more than 16gb (10gb free) if they are going to try force us to use the restricted space.

    Nothing good about that at all, and it would be dirt cheap to increase the storage capacity considering they force us to use it for apps. I don't see how it would cost them 100 to do it, to be honest.
    rexxman likes this.
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Not being able to put apps on the sd card was the OS's limitation I thought, not the phone

    sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Razr ics rooted
    rexxman likes this.
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by kgk1985 View Post
    Not being able to put apps on the sd card was the OS's limitation I thought, not the phone

    sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Perhaps.

    Frustrating none the less though.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Few phones have sd cards now and even fewer will. Google has stopped supporting them too. The manufacturers also know a tiny number of people actually use SD cards.
    HTC is in a very weak position as making Android phones has lost them millions over the years. They do what Verizon tells them to do if they want Verizon to carry their phones.
  6. #56  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    Few phones have sd cards now and even fewer will. Google has stopped supporting them too. The manufacturers also know a tiny number of people actually use SD cards.
    HTC is in a very weak position as making Android phones has lost them millions over the years. They do what Verizon tells them to do if they want Verizon to carry their phones.
    Link to where it says HTC is operating at a loss?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by fade2black101 View Post
    Yes but they don't allow you to store apps or app data on the sd card.
    The app developer has the ability to store app data on the SD card. Write them and tell them you want it.

    It was Google that made the decision to not be able to store apps on the SD card. There are already several threads discussing that.

    You do have other choices, like BlackBerry 10. I'm not sure about Windows Phone. Definitely not ios.
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    The app developer has the ability to store app data on the SD card. Write them and tell them you want it.

    It was Google that made the decision to not be able to store apps on the SD card. There are already several threads discussing that.

    You do have other choices, like BlackBerry 10. I'm not sure about Windows Phone. Definitely not ios.
    Don't particularly want to switch operating systems.

    I was just pointed out that it is far from ideal for some of us. There was really no need for google to do that. Blackberry and Windows Phone are not ideal for me given the lack of quality apps and poorer standard of the "well known" ones.
  9. #59  
    rexxman's Avatar

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Dpham00 - #46

    You probably meant to say that this poll was not applicable.

    If you have issues with the accuracy of the poll, take that up with Jerry Hildebrand.

    As far as comparing any of this to the famous Dewey headline, it is not applicable.


    Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Link to where it says HTC is operating at a loss?
    Not recently at least, last year was pretty brutal to htc, and they made money... Not much compared to previous years though

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?-uploadfromtaptalk1361969697995.jpg  
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    Dpham00 - #46

    You probably meant to say that this poll was not applicable.

    If you have issues with the accuracy of the poll, take that up with Jerry Hildebrand.

    As far as comparing any of this to the famous Dewey headline, it is not applicable.


    Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    My apologies, I never meant to argue the integrity of Jerry's poll, that I have no doubt in. My point being that the poll that resulted in the newspaper headline was done by phone, and at the time, not many people had phones, so it wasn't representative of the USA as a whole. Similarly, the poll by Jerry, while certainly an accurate representation of those polled, is, imo, not representative of America as a whole.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
  12. #62  
    rexxman's Avatar

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    No problem Dpham00.

    Google the "Dewey headline" and you will find some interesting information about how/why that happened. Polls were the least of the problems.

    I have heard this comment before that Jerry's poll does not represent the typical user. That might be. I originally quoted that poll in response to statements that there was little to no interest in larger storage sizes.

    However, I think some mfg/carriers are listening. The new HTC One will be offered in 32/64 configurations.

    And yes, I vote with my wallet. As much as I would like to acquire a SGN2, the 16gb is a non starter. And I kept my hands in my pocket on the N7 when it topped at 16. As soon as the 32 was released, I bought two!

    Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    No problem Dpham00.

    Google the "Dewey headline" and you will find some interesting information about how/why that happened. Polls were the least of the problems.

    I have heard this comment before that Jerry's poll does not represent the typical user. That might be. I originally quoted that poll in response to statements that there was little to no interest in larger storage sizes.

    However, I think some mfg/carriers are listening. The new HTC One will be offered in 32/64 configurations.

    And yes, I vote with my wallet. As much as I would like to acquire a SGN2, the 16gb is a non starter. And I kept my hands in my pocket on the N7 when it topped at 16. As soon as the 32 was released, I bought two!

    Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    Absolutely, there is an audience for larger than 16gb,just that I don't think the demand in the general population is as high as what Jerry's poll indicated. Verizon released both the 16 and 32gb s3, but now, the 32gb s3 is being eol. Which makes sense, imo. most of those who wanted the 32gb version already got it by now.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
  14. #64  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    The new HTC One will be offered in 32/64 configurations.
    That could very well be the start of it. We all know that eventually 32 will be the new norm. I think seeing the competition up their specs is more likely to cause a mfgr to rethink their current configurations than anything else. Especially when all the tech reviewers start screaming how wonderful it is.
    Typical user sees a review stating X is a great feature even though they don't know what X is. But then they start bragging to their friends that their phone has X. Now friend thinks X is a must-have for their next phone.
    How many iphones became people's first smartphone only because they were told it was cool?

    Remember that those of us on forums like this are a tiny minority. While most of us wouldn't consider, for example, a phone with no SD slot, even more people couldn't even tell you what an SD slot is. We face an uphill battle to get more memory (typical user doesn't see memory when they look at the phone in the store) when companies are pulling in billions of dollars because their phone has a pretty aluminum case.
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Maybe higher profit margin?

    Or their normal isn't what you think is the new normal?

    Or someone told them if they build out 16/32/64GB versions of the same phone, most people would just buy the smallest version?
    I've been reading this thread but just figured I'd chime in with my take on why they "skimp" on internal memory.

    Basically, there couldn't have been a better first reply than what Ry said. Money is the number one reason why any company skimps on anything.

    Second, he's spot on in his suggestion of what is "normal" for memory needs. The fiends who need 64GB internal memory so they can load up dozens of 1GB+ games and other apps are not the normal. The normal, the average people who make up the significant percentage of customers are not hipster young people who need 64GB of app space. Samsung knows this and will use what they feel is necessary for the majority. In fact I'd bet they could probably get away with 8GB of internal memory, so be glad they didn't do that.

    I'm greatly looking forward to the day when that hyper fast internal memory reaches such capacities that I won't need an SD Card slot, but for now 16GB should be plenty. It would be a lot better also if they didn't steal about 3.5GB of internal memory for what, I do not know. System ROM takes up about 1.2GB, leaving us with around 13.8GB left out of 15.5 (formatted) space. So where's the other 3.5GB going? There's over 5GB in Miscellaneous files and I know that at least 1.2GB is the System files so where's the rest? =/
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  16. #66  
    GMJeff's Avatar

    Posts
    590 Posts
    Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can anyone logically explain why Samsung and others scrimp on native memory?

    You also have to take into account the speed of the memory as related to the price and function.

    The newer processors are getting faster and with more cores. This could mean that their bus speeds could be increasing, surpassing the bus speed of the sd card. Could be another reason Google wanted to eliminate the app2sd stuff, as the apps may not read as fast off the sd card causing system crashes and hangs.

    If they are using flash memory in the ddr3 or 4 class, it is not cheap. Look at how much it costs to produce ddr5 for pc video cards.

    Just saying that this could be a reason behind the lower amounts of memory. 16 GB works fine for me, but I also know that there are people that need more than that. I have 80 or so apps installed on my note 2 and am barely over 500 MB.

    Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM
  2. Can anyone tell.me why this happens in ICS on my VZW Gnex
    By IamHydrogen in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM
  3. 4g Problems and other issues on Stable CM7
    By edback in forum HTC Evo Shift 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
  4. Why Xoom and other tablets look so expensive....
    By The Hooded Claw in forum Misc. Tablet Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
  5. Can anyone PLEASE explain how to setup gtalk for Android
    By spooksmcgee in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

B