Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: How do I stop my emails being auto deleted?

Try K-9. Works for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Noisemaker... Thank you! I had looked into this solution yesterday morning prior to you mentioning it, and You gave me the last push to pulling the trigger to just doing it. After a little bit of time becoming familiar with all the features and options that K-9 has, it worked out perfectly. I now am retaining my emails on my cell phone without the use of the Samsung S4 standard internal POP email client.

My only concern is if K-9 makes my email more susceptible to being monitors anymore than we are already being monitors... ;-)

Any other suggestion? If not, thank you for your suggestion.

Best,

G.

Noisemaker... Thank you for suggesting using K-9 app as my email client! I had looked into this solution yesterday morning prior to you mentioning it, and You gave me the last push to pulling the trigger to just doing it. After a little bit of time becoming familiar with all the features and options that K-9 has, it worked out perfectly. I now am retaining my emails on my cell phone without the use of the Samsung S4 standard internal POP email client.

My only concern is if K-9 makes my email more susceptible to being monitors anymore than we are already being monitors... ;-)

Any other suggestion? If not, thank you for your suggestion.

Best,

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni C View Post
    I have recently been having the same problems, Although mine were an abrupt change after having changed from previously using BlackBerrys, Droid-X and most recently HTC to using the new Samsung S4. I have recently (several days ago) upgraded to the Samsung 4S and use several emails Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and an original email that is out of the NYC area through Transbeam.com, which happens to be a POP based email server.

Here is the situation, because I do not have a lot of storage available on my Transbeam.com email server, I have my PC software (Outlook) set to remove all emails from the server after downloaded onto my computer. I use my S4 to download these emails first and then use computer in the evening to clear the online cue and save the emails I want to keep on my computer. The problem is, once this is done and my S4 then Syncs up with the email server, it removes all the emails that had previously been downloaded on the S4.

I have just reviewed this with Samsung online that there are no setting on the S4 to change this, as this is part of the current android version 4.2.2 and it does not support a time delay email erase from the device. In other words, the other phones mentioned above have a "keep email on phone for X days" which is what we need for our POP email accounts. Google and Hotmail have this sort of feature on the S4 in the settings, but it is not as necessary as the POP mail account... because the POP account does not have the amount of free storage as the other mail accounts mentioned.

The result: This will force me to return the S4 (which I like very much with the above exception) to change to the HTC ONE! All in All, it means configuring and transferring data / programs over to a new phone again and also taking several days to get familiarized with another phone and to a efficient operating space.

If anyone finds that there is an app that can correct this or if there is another email client app that can be loaded onto the S4 that retains the emails for "X" days, I would deeply appreciate knowing ASAP.

Thank you,

G
    Hi Gianni C

I have had similar issues with the new Note 3 (coming from iPhone 4s), you have highlighted the solution already and hopefully below will give some more clarity, apologies if it does not.

Here is my set up...

Note-3 email client set up with 2 x PoP accounts and 1 x Hotmail account.
    1 PoP account lost all emails so what was the cause ?
    Looking at my Outlook setup for the 2 x PoP accounts, one was set to leave email on server for 14 days and the other one setup to delete email from server as soon as it pulls into Outlook.
    As Note-3 does a TRUE sync with the PoP server and finds there are no emails there, it then deletes from the handset, not what we want and not something that we can override in the handset settings.

Solution, in Outlook I changed the setting to keep Mail on server for 14 days after pulling to the PC (the main workhorse), so as mail still sits on the PoP server, the handset syncs and keeps the same mail on the handset.

Gianni, you stated your pop account does not have that much storage so you have to pull all mail every night, extra storage and keeping mail on the server is one solution unless the Handset settings are improved in KIT-KAT.

Another problem I have is how to SYNC Note-3 with Outlook, with iTunes it was so easy
    Last edited by arorat; 09-30-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: spl

This worked for me using Yahoo Mail. Add additional email account to your phone using your original info from Yahoo mail client, and configure for POP3, NOT IMAP. When your server config is synced, you will have to re-delete old emails to get your account "current", but you will now be able to clear emails on your phone without losing them on your home PC. I then deleted the old IMAP accounts from my phone. Disclaimer: This is Yahoo Mail, and I'm using a Galaxy S4. I recommend seeing this up on your phone in front of your home PC to ensure your deletion is on your handheld device only. Hope it works for you!

I have been successfully using K9 Mail for perhaps a year. Then, recently it started deleting emails imediately after I read them. When I leave reading a new email and go back to the list of emails, it deletes the email I just read email imediately and it is no longer in the list of recieved emails. I want to keep those emails (until days/weeks later when K9 pushes them off the edge of the world)! If I mark the email as unread before returning to the list of emails, it does not delete the email. However, that a pain, and I'm not likely to remember to do it.

It happens with both my gmail account and my comcast account, so it is not an account problem. Both are pop3 accounts.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Last edited by James Norton1; 02-07-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: didn't actually work

and for how many days my samsung will stoore the e-mails...can i keep them there until I feel like it to delete.instead of samsung deleting it? Do i have an option?

I have the same problem on my Galaxy s5 android kit-kat device. I have a POP3 email account through a domain that I own. I can check my emails from my phone and they remain in my inbox until I go to my computer and retrieve the emails from my computer, at which time they disappear from my phone. I have not found any settings in my phone or my email server settings that will allow these emails to stay on my phone after retrieving them on my computer. I am on the line with Samsung advanced tech support as I type. I will post any solution or information I get from them.

Well, I was on hold while the tech was looking for answers and SURPRISE!!! I got cut off!!!!!!!!!! No call back from them yet.

I was on the phone with Samsung level 2 support supervisors and here is what I found out. The issue with the emails disappearing from your device is because they are no longer on your (pop3) email server. Samsung's native email application on the device does not download or create a permanent file on your device nor on the sd card. It takes what's on the server and displays it in the native email app. So when you retrieve your emails on your computer or any other device that removes the emails from your email server, your Samsung device will no longer see those emails, so they disappear from your phone. NOT what we want here!! There is no way to fix this on your Samsung device using their native email app. Your options are to get a third party email app, or get a non-Samsung device that doesn't have this problem, such as the HTC One. Sorry this don't provide a fix but I wanted to share with the world what I found out. That being said...I will experience with some third party email apps and post my findings here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12