Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Home Screen Randomly Dims?

Has anyone seen this? The last few days my home screen(s) have randomly dimmed and the only way to get full brightness back is clicking the application drawer button. The screen is full brightness at the bottom where your application drawer and 4 hot shortcuts are but dim up top. I hope I don't have to do a factory reset to solve such a dumb issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Default Re: Home Screen Randomly Dims?

Im having a similar issue. Whenever I exit out of a program/app my phone goes dimed/dark then its back fine. I was thinking that maybe its just a lag.

have you heard about the GN2, yea it's awesome (^-^)
    Have you heard about the GN2, yea it's awesome! (^_^)

I have notice this but its the red charging light when the screens off the lights very dim then I turn it back off light goes off then turn it off again and its bright red

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Just realized its the whole screen that dims down until I hit the big Verizon labeled menu button or app drawer. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellep.84 View Post
    I have notice this but its the red charging light when the screens off the lights very dim then I turn it back off light goes off then turn it off again and its bright red

That is normal. When it get to low battery status, it auto dim the screen if you are not using the screen. It is designed to converse the battery much longer.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by aquafusiondane View Post
    That is normal. When it get to low battery status, it auto dim the screen if you are not using the screen. It is designed to converse the battery much longer.

I don't have any battery saver mode on and my battery does this at 99%. This dim screen is much different and only started a few days ago. No big deal just odd.

Smart Stay does this.

Handwritten on my Galaxy Note 2 with the AC app.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    Smart Stay does this.

Handwritten on my Galaxy Note 2 with the AC app.
    I have it disabled. Oh well, no big deal to be honest. Just odd.

Do you have auto brightness enable?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by aquafusiondane View Post
    Do you have auto brightness enable?

Yes, but I disabled it and the oddity still persists. The screen will not dim down for any reason that I can think of either. It will also not come back to normal until I hit the app drawer or home button.

Mine does that just before the screen is about to turn off. like if i have it sitting without touching it...it will go dim for a few, then screen goes off.
    It is like a warning for me that the screen will go off very soon. i have my screen set to turn off after 2 minutes. when the screen goes dim, it stays that way for 6 seconds, then screen shuts off. maybe it has to do with that?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    Mine does that just before the screen is about to turn off. like if i have it sitting without touching it...it will go dim for a few, then screen goes off.
    It is like a warning for me that the screen will go off very soon. i have my screen set to turn off after 2 minutes. when the screen goes dim, it stays that way for 6 seconds, then screen shuts off. maybe it has to do with that?
    No, this is different. You're experiencing a normal Android function. I wish I knew what this is but as I said no big deal. Thank you for the idea though.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

This is what it looks like.

Normal

Dim

Apparently no one in this thread really got what you were saying... But, fear not, I do... Alas, I bring good news, and bad news.

Good News: It CAN be avoided. This 'background dimming' (hey! I even gave it a name!) happens ONLY after a Buddy Page is active, your screen goes off, and you 'disable' whatever triggered the buddy page. Example: You plug in your headphones, the Headphones Buddy Page comes up (and behold! the background is always dimmed!). You listen to music, the screen goes off because your song lasts longer than 30 seconds, and then you play no more music. Instead of turning your phone ON, you just unplug the headphones. And when you come back to use your phone, you notice the dimmed background and the only way to fix that is to open the app drawer and come back to Home Screen. I've experienced it mostly on Headphones Buddy Page but I've also had it happen a couple of times with S-Pen Buddy Page. So yeah, Buddy Pages are to blame. If you want to avoid this issue, just disable Buddy Pages.

Bad News: There's no fix yet. And apparently, not even acknowledged by Sammy... So, we're stuck with the annoyance so far.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by daniellep.84 View Post

Hey danielle, I would be careful with this. The change in charging indicator intensity is NOT a good sign and it means something is wrong or about to go wrong.

Are you by any chance using a SanDisk SD card in your phone? A 32GB or even maybe a 64GB one? If so, THAT'S the culprit. There is a known issue with SanDisk SD cards and newer Samsung phones. The problem is that the incompatibility causes the phone to have weird voltages in the card reader and that causes the variation in your LED (it should either be very bright all the time or dimmed all the time, but not fluctuate while charging). And the thing is, if this is happening, I'd remove your SD card and backup data because it usually means the phone will soon fry up the card. If this is the case, soon you'll see random unmounts/re-mounts of the SD card and then, suddenly, it will tell you the card cannot be read anymore... if you're lucky, you'll still be able to read it in a computer, but most people report it just dies entirely, precious data along with it.