Where has my Favourite Apps screen gone?

haggis999

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (running Android 4.1.1) is my first Android device. I am therefore an Android newbie and need some help with what I suspect are some basic features.

I chose to use the 'Easy mode' setting under Status/Home screen mode. This then gave me a Favourite Apps and a Favourite Settings screen. However, my Favourite Apps screen has now disappeared. After browsing for a solution, I got the impression that a long press on the blank home page screen might bring it back but that didn't help. A few more long presses then made my Favourite Settings screen disappear as well. Also, my Settings icon got copied to a separate screen. Clearly, I've no idea what I'm doing!

Can anyone suggest a way in which I can reinstate the original 'Easy mode' layout? Also, where can I find the best online user guide to Android 4.1.1 (there seems to be quite a few of them)?

David

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! Don't give up, once you get the hang of it, you're gonna love it.

As far as the disappearing/moving objects, it's hard to help not seeing the phone myself & I don't have any experience with the Easy Mode. The best thing to do is find a friend who is familiar with Android to show you some stuff in person.

And for manuals, go to Samsung's website & download the manual for the model/carrier that you have.

Also, don't be afraid to 'play' with things to see what they do. Just about anything can be undone.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello, David. Welcome to the community!
Here's an idea, as I've never tried easy mode to be able to give you feedback.
Switch it to regular mode first. Then go to your main home screen and swipe to either the left or right (whichever screen you prefer your new favorite apps to be on). If there are any widgets or icons you would like to remove, touch and hold on them for a second. You can now move them around on the screen. An X will appear at the top. Simply drag the app icon or widget to the X and let go to remove it from the screen.
Next, open up the app drawer (where you can see all the apps on the device). Find the ones you wish to display on your new favorite apps screen. Touch and hold on them for a moment and the app drawer will disappear. You'll be on your main home screen, and as long as you don't let go the app icon will be under your finger. Now drag that icon in the direction of your new favorite apps screen. Drag it right to the edge and the page will turn. Find a spot you like on there for the app and let go. Repeat for any other apps you would like to place there.
If you want to rearrange the apps, go to the favorite apps screen you made, touch and hold on the app you want to move and reposition it.
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
long Press on the screen, and an option called "apps & widgets" should appear click on that, then widget tab is on top of Screen. Widget should be called "favorite apps"

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
long Press on the screen, and an option called "apps & widgets" should appear click on that, then widget tab is on top of Screen. Widget should be called "favorite apps"

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

Hey, thanks. Did not realize that widget was there. Very cool.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

marge4u

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi! Can you help me on how to reinstate the basic home screen mode of my galaxy s3? please i badly need your advice.Thanks!

Rudy Gunawan

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm newbie, Can anyone help me my app Monitor widget does't Show up, In Widget too there is no app monitor
how to show app monitor widget? thank you.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
vybuta2e.jpg
Hi I'm newbie, Can anyone help me my app Monitor widget does't Show up, In Widget too there is no app monitor
how to show app monitor widget? thank you.
Go to the samsung app store. Not Google app store. It's there. I keep mine on the front screen.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Mike Selvage

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Newby - Samsung Gal. SII - How to get rid of Blank Pages.

Disregard - I figured it out. But for all those "newbies" that 'accidentally' ended up with a bunch of 'blank' screens you wish to get rid of - it's easy. It seems ALL these 'screens' you 'side swipe' to are actually 'screens' of one big 'home page'. From, apparently, ANY of the screens you can "pinch" the display to display icons of ALL the home page screens on your device. To 'pinch' use your thumb and middle finger in diagonal locations of the screen and bring them together. You SHOULD see a display of icons, each representing a 'screen' of your 'home page' Press on one no longer desired for a second until it slightly changes - then drag is to the 'trash can' icon at the bottom of the display. All gone.

Just got the wife a new phone as she had so many apps she couldn't install any more - even though the "Storage" setting said she should have plenty of space. So I inherited her old Samsung Galaxy SII with Android Jelly Bean (4.1.1) on it. Even though there is no SIM card and no External SD Card I cleared all the cache and reinstalled to factor spec - I chose the "Easy Mode" usage as I was a new to Android.

I kind of like the "Easy Mode" (for now). Especially the "Favorite Apps" and "Favorite Contacts" 'Widgets' (just found out they are called 'Widgets').

My FIRST mistake was trying to replace apps on the "Favorite Apps" widget following my wife's advice (which is like the blind following those that cannot see). Pressing and holding on the app and then dragging it to the "trash can" had a little different effect than expected. The whole damn "Favorite Apps" Widget went into the trash. Try as I might I could not figure out on my own how to restore it. Thank God for Android Central users !! I found a very similar post and had my "Favorite Apps" Widget back in no time. Though I STILL don't know how to remove an app from this Widget and replace it with one I really want on the Widget. Hope I figure it out soon.

Meanwhile, in trying to "fix" my deleted Widget problem I created several (4 to be exact) blank pages that, right now, I really don't need. I 'side swipe' from the 'home screen' a few times (passing pages with Widgets and apps I do want) to -- blank pages.

Is there anyway to get rid of these blank pages?

Thank you in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol