1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LTE Plan..?

So... I received this text from AT&T... I guess I'm NOT on LTE, just on 4G... Wonder how much more for the LTE plan, though I don't want to lose my Unlimited Plan...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LTE Plan..?-uploadfromtaptalk1360015386238.jpg  

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts

Default Re: LTE Plan..?

LTE is 4g

ROM
    Stock

I think you should just keep your current plan. Id love some unlimited data. If your happy with you data speeds you should keep your plan, no worth having lte if you gotta give up unlimited data.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

If he doesnt upgrade now they will force it on you eventually. Its the same as tethering, if they catch they will warn you once or twice and then they will make the changes to your plan accordingly.

Sent via Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Isn't that illegal, changing my plan without my consent?

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

No. Because you are apparently using a device that isnt covered by your plan.

Sent via Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

LTE is 4g
    What? I don't understand? Then why would AT&T want me to sign up for an LTE Plan?

HSPA and Lte are 4G according to at&t.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Because lte is NOT 4g. 4g is hspa and hspa+. This is basically 3g speed upgrades. Lte is altogether different animal. It uses different chips and upgraded towers. When your phone has lte signal it WILL say 4glte at the top of the screen. The reason this is confusing is because of how it is marketed

Att frequently says they have the largest 4g network and has more 4g towers than verizon but verizon advertizes the most lte cities which it does in fact have.

Att is trying to confuse the subscriber as to what is better 4g or lte. Lte is way faster in both the upload and download speeds.

Lte is different though and the plan is most likely the same cost as what you are already pay they are probably trying to force you off your unlimited. These are loopholes as to how to get people off 3g unlimited. Because you now have a phone that is a 4g/lte capable.

Sent via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    Because lte is NOT 4g. 4g is hspa and hspa+.
    is a generic term meaning 4th generation. WiMax and LTE are all considered 4th generation technologies, HSPA+ is 3G.

Does the OP have a data plan with AT&T for that device? That message seems to indicate he does not and they are demanding he get one. Reused a sim from an older phone maybe?

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Upgrading to the LTE plan doesnt cost more just changes which tech your phone is using. I kept my plan same miniutes and texting when i upgradded to the note 2

Att Galaxy Note 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    is a generic term meaning 4th generation. WiMax and LTE are all considered 4th generation technologies, HSPA+ is 3G.

Does the OP have a data plan with AT&T for that device? That message seems to indicate he does not and they are demanding he get one. Reused a sim from an older phone maybe?
    Yes, I have an Unlimited Plan with AT&T, and this is actually the 4th text message I've gotten from Att.
    I probably should have posted this on the AT&T Thread, sorry..

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

You and I may know what the true meaning of 4g is but thats not how it is being marketed by att. Att is redefining what 4g means to them.
    Read:

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

As for all of the arguing about 3g or 4g, it was decided by the ITU in late 2010 that hspa+ was to be included as a 4g technology because it is considered to be an "enhanced" 3g network solution.

All at&t needs to do is apportion your account or change it to a LTE account. Two of my lines are on an LTE account and one of them is still unlimited. They will normally want you to get a new sim card for your phone also, as it carries the software to allow the device to connect to the LTE network a little smoother, hopefully. Remember that most of their unlimited accounts now are capped at 5 GB, unless you have an iphone unlimited account, they are usually true unlimited (not totally for sure though).

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Jevangil, thank you for that thorough answer.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    Jevangil, thank you for that thorough answer.
    Yes, Thank You.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

UPDATE:
    I spoke with AT&T, and they said they need to move me to an LTE network since my device/Note 2 is an LTE Device (you guys were right about this). And I would stay on my Unlimited Data Plan (LTE).
    But I have to go back to Best Buy, where I bought my Note 2, to get a new sim card. I remember Best Buy taking my sim card from my iPhone4 and using it on my Note 2. ATT says I would need a new sim card, with LTE compatabilities (again, you guys were right about this!). So hopefully Best Buy doesn't give me fuzz about this, since it's past 1 month since I bought it. Though ATT says they shouldn't charge me with that LTE sim card...

We'll see and I'll keep updating...

Thanks all..!

I was always told HSPA+ was considered 4G and so was Wi-Max but it wasn't LTE. These companies advertise as 4G speeds I believe but now claim LTE is the true 4G. I may be mistaken or explaining it wrong as I'm on my phone but this is the best I can do at the moment.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I was always told HSPA+ was considered 4G and so was Wi-Max but it wasn't LTE. These companies advertise as 4G speeds I believe but now claim LTE is the true 4G. I may be mistaken or explaining it wrong as I'm on my phone but this is the best I can do at the moment.

That sums it up pretty nicely. I don't even think the LTE we have right now in the states is even considered true LTE. Believe that's called LTE Advanced, or something like that. There's a commission in Europe that does all the certification of what is what. I think the US really pushed to have them stamp our LTE as certified, so they let it go. Wish I could find the article that I saw breaking all this down. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post

This is why 4g is confusing is because each carrier describes it a little bit differently. Yes it does have a real definition but the carriers have chosen to go a different route.

Sent via Tapatalk

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Lte and lte advanced are indeed 2 different things.

Problem is that the the standard of each is often completed before the technology even exists or is implemented by the carrier.

Sent via Tapatalk