Instructions on using DLNA? It doesn't work.

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've got a fairly new Samsung TV and Xbox 360. Neither of which detect my phone. Is there a manual on how to get this to work? I enabled Nearby devices and shared everything out yet when I open a pic or video on my phone I don't have the option of streaming it elsewhere.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried all that I can with this feature, and it only works with my Pics and not my videos.
I have a Sony Bravia LED TV and PS3... I've enable everything on all devices and still nothing on Videos... frustrating...

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried all that I can with this feature, and it only works with my Pics and not my videos.
I have a Sony Bravia LED TV and PS3... I've enable everything on all devices and still nothing on Videos... frustrating...

Yea... that's what I'm sayin'. Then you have people saying it works, I don't get it. My TV worked fine over DLNA with my Verizon Thunderbolt using the 'Connected Media' app.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It does work. I did it this morning when I was getting ready for work.

First the phone and the xbox must be on the same network cuz thats how dlna works. If your xbox isnt connected to a router it wont work.

2. Once the xbox boots to the menu, go to your phone. Go into the stock music player and play a song. Now hit the menu button to the left of the hone button. Scroll through the menu and select scan for nearby devices. It should find it. Now back on the music player screen you should see a little computer icon looking icon at the top left. Tap that and will automatically connect to the xbox. At this point the xbox will change screens and the music will start playing.

3. Once the initial connection is made you shouldnt need to do it in the future. So if you turn off the xbox and then back on your phone should automatically find it. Once again you must press the icon on the top left of the gn2 music player app.

4. As far as video goes, this is thoroughly depending on quality of connection and router network speeds. My phone stored torrents play just fine with zero lag. However ONLY video formats supported by xbox will play.

Sent via Tapatalk

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

First the phone and the xbox must be on the same network cuz thats how dlna works. If your xbox isnt connected to a router it wont work.

2. Once the xbox boots to the menu, go to your phone. Go into the stock music player and play a song. Now hit the menu button to the left of the hone button. Scroll through the menu and select scan for nearby devices. It should find it. Now back on the music player screen you should see a little computer icon looking icon at the top left. Tap that and will automatically connect to the xbox. At this point the xbox will change screens and the music will start playing.

3. Once the initial connection is made you shouldnt need to do it in the future. So if you turn off the xbox and then back on your phone should automatically find it. Once again you must press the icon on the top left of the gn2 music player app.

4. As far as video goes, this is thoroughly depending on quality of connection and router network speeds. My phone stored torrents play just fine with zero lag. However ONLY video formats supported by xbox will play.

Sent via Tapatalk

What type of video formats is supported by PS3? and is there a way to change the format if it's different?
Thanks!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What type of video formats is supported by PS3? and is there a way to change the format if it's different?
Thanks!

Im sure you could google the formats ps3 supports and find out faster than making a post. Yes all files can be converted. You find a program for your computer that converts from/to and download it. Typically open source software is good enough. To those that dont know open source means free and usually can be reprogrammed to do something different if you choose and have the experience in doing such.

Sent via Tapatalk

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Im sure you could google the formats ps3 supports and find out faster than making a post. Yes all files can be converted. You find a program for your computer that converts from/to and download it. Typically open source software is good enough. To those that dont know open source means free and usually can be reprogrammed to do something different if you choose and have the experience in doing such.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks man, I'm just sick of trying to figure this out... All that's left for me to do now is call Samsung and/or Sony.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i have some movie files i got through utorrent and want to stream it on my tv... but... sigh...

I know xbox supports avi xvix divx files for video cuz thats the torrents I usually download. I have a ps3 but its ONLY used as a bluray player. I do not have a single game for it.

Are you still having problems with dlna? I can tell you that the stock video player and the stock music player work. If the stock video player does not play the video then neither will the xbox most likely. Also just cuz the phone supports dlna that doesnt mean that all apps are supporting it. Try the stock apps not the ones labeled as google or samsung players but just plain stock. Get back to me and let me know how it went.

Sent via Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know xbox supports avi xvix divx files for video cuz thats the torrents I usually download. I have a ps3 but its ONLY used as a bluray player. I do not have a single game for it.

Are you still having problems with dlna? I can tell you that the stock video player and the stock music player work. If the stock video player does not play the video then neither will the xbox most likely. Also just cuz the phone supports dlna that doesnt mean that all apps are supporting it. Try the stock apps not the ones labeled as google or samsung players but just plain stock. Get back to me and let me know how it went.

Sent via Tapatalk

Same here on the PS3. I rent games once in a while but its for movies. I too have not been able to get Xbox to work as DLNA either for some reason. My RAZR worked for minutes than disconnected. No idea why but DLNA has been an issue ever since I dumped my Thunderbolt.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I will attempt to make a video with my crappy ipad 2 tonight on exactly how to do it. I will then put it on youtube.

Hopefully it will be suffecient.

Sent via Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just thought of something else. It could be thst your ports arent forwarded correctly in the routers settings.

If you know how to manage your routers settings check to see if upnp is enabled. This is univeral plug and play. It will auto forward ports to correct setting when requested by specific devices from inside your network

Sent via Tapatalk

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just thought of something else. It could be thst your ports arent forwarded correctly in the routers settings.

If you know how to manage your routers settings check to see if upnp is enabled. This is univeral plug and play. It will auto forward ports to correct setting when requested by specific devices from inside your network

Sent via Tapatalk

Ah, you lost me at routers... lol
Is there a tutorial for what your suggesting?
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
No not really on the router bit.

Quick question. Do you or have you ever played halo on xbox live multiplayer. If so have you ever seen on the tv screen that you have a moderate or strict NAT setting? This problem is also fixed by enabling upnp. Do you have a router that you either plug in a network cable or connect to wirelessly from your xbox?

Sent via Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Quick question. Do you or have you ever played halo on xbox live multiplayer. If so have you ever seen on the tv screen that you have a moderate or strict NAT setting? This problem is also fixed by enabling upnp. Do you have a router that you either plug in a network cable or connect to wirelessly from your xbox?

Sent via Tapatalk

Halo 4 says it's not in real time although I feel like it is. UPnP isn't the permanent solution to solving an NAT issue either. I'm fairly savvy when it comes to networking and certain routers either mess up from the beginning or work fine and than fail to work properly later. My Linksys e3000 would randomly change from OPEN NAT to MODERATE NAT daily and at times multiple times each day. UPnP was enabled, IP settings on the XBOX and Router manually set and linked, Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, etc. You name it I did it. Solution? Dump the router and buy a Asus router with the new A/C Technology. $200 and not many devices use it yet but sure makes me future proof. My XBOX 360 is wired in case you're wondering. Linksys is great for commercial use but for in home use stay away. Seriously, D-Link and Asus are running this game right now. If Linksys has worked for you that's fine but for my friends and I it's been a disaster.

Note: My Asus works with OPEN right out of the box. My friends have had Asus for about a year now with no NAT concerns. Hope you get it all settled. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

I've done this and while it works I still run into an issue. In the past, I've been able to stream music from my phone directly to my XBOX 360. I could listen to this music as background music while playing a game. Ever since I upgraded from my Thunderbolt no phone has been able to do this. Not sure why and I've lived without it. I am able to use DLNA as a direct stream but than it basically turns my XBOX into a full screen media player and not the background data I'm looking for.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

I connect my PS3 Wirelessly through our home network WiFi, my TV is also connected through our Wifi... Where can I enable upnup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar