Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
When you get your new phone, if from the manufacturer, the best thing to do with it is to drain whatever battery is left in it till it hits 0%. Then fully charge it and drain it again. This is power cycling and should be done at least 2-3 times to help extend your batteries life.

Ok so I started using my phone at 6:30 this morning (first time) and the first half of the battery went really quick! So now at 7:21 pm and at red bar 13%. So I am going to let it go to zero before I plug in charger for the night! Will see how it goes tomorrow!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
a8a7uryn.jpg
Here's my stats. Had the phone a week today. Only fully drained and charged once. I'm going to try and drain it today. Don't really have time and i can't rush leaving it on over night an extra night and dying mid day..but that's a different story. Needless to say i love the battery life..also below is my screen shot from a few days ago. That was 4 hr of screen on time over 2 days. This phone will easily get over 6 hr screen on time in over a 24hr period

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360584770395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360584770395.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360584802368.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360584802368.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360584951154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360584951154.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 31

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So turned on my phone half hour ago at 100% battery. Down to 93% in only 30 minutes and didnt do anything accept one phone call, android central surfing, and looked at emails! In screen shot my 'screen' shows 58%....why is everyone elses I see so much lower?

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If you can stand it, make your brightness around 30% and disable auto. See if that helps

Swyped from Samsung galaxy note 2 (Verizon), titanium color
I had already disabled auto, and I just lowered brightness to about 50%....I really like it brighter (a bit older eyes here ugh!) I just dont get it! I know so many have written how they do so much on this phone trying to kill/see how much they can get out of the battery and haven't!

I have done hardly anything and have gone from 100% down to 70% in less than 4 hours today? Could it be I got a bad battery? Plus the fact for some reason the screen is very dim when I open my Cox email that I added. Hmmmm, so that is even dimmer/hard to see now. Thanks for the help!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Its also recommended once a month to let the battery completely drain before charging. I do this with every phone I have had and at the new billing cycle...a good way for me to remember to do it.
This is good for the battery

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you it's probably your Cox mail that's draining the battery. The standard email app is to blame for alot of battery drain issues. If you can turn that off to manual update. See if that helps.
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery calibration is a farce. There is no app that can calibrate your battery. All they do is erase your stats. Charge it all the way and let it go down to 10% or less. Do that every now and then. Erasing stats does nothing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Battery calibration is a farce. There is no app that can calibrate your battery. All they do is erase your stats. Charge it all the way and let it go down to 10% or less. Do that every now and then. Erasing stats does nothing.

Agreed. Never mess with forcing any type of battery stats or calibration in the two plus years I've been using Android.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you it's probably your Cox mail that's draining the battery. The standard email app is to blame for alot of battery drain issues. If you can turn that off to manual update. See if that helps.
Thank you and I mean nothing but true respect.....with that said, I am completely baffled by this as the battery on this phone is supposed to be out standing! I do realize that this phone has a BIG screen and it is packed with a lot of Power and requires a lot of power, but......isn't something like email one of the main purposes of a smartphone? Although this battery is lasting a bit longer than my Thunderbolt, but really not by much! Yes, I know there is NO comparison between the Note 2 and the Tbolt.....I guess I expected so much more from the Note 2 battery based on what I have read. I did set Gmail and my Cox mail to manual, so they sync now only when I open the app, which seems to me will take the same power if when I open it, it has to bring in 50 emails in one shot, maybe I'm wrong??

I had Gmail and Cox mail coming into my Thunderbolt with no problems, and didn't have to set them to manual sync. The Cox email I set up on the Note 2 is even hard to look at, as the screen is very dim just when having that email app open on screen....Gmail is much more visible and brighter. I am not a Power User by any means....I basically do email, text, Android Central, a little Facebook and a little words with friends and Occasionally look at You tube videos I rarely search the web, don't watch movies etc.

I have read so many threads on what to do and not do on this phone......turn down brightness, do manual on email accounts, Turn Off location, s features, any type of syncing....etc. etc. I would think if the phone was built with all these awesome features, we should be able to use them??? I never had to turn off any of those similar items on my Tbolt and would pretty much get through the day with the battery.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The initial drop from 100% down to 97-92% range seems to happen quickly, and then it levels off and drains very slowly.

The GN2 has amazing battery life. You won't be disappointed in actual day to day use.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
This is similar to what I am experiencing, accept I seem to lose the first 50% of my battery very quickly....this morning, I went from 100% at 7:00 am to 64% before it was even 11:00 am and that was only looking at email, and Android Central and 2 minutes on Facebook. Like you said,The second 50% of the battery seems to last longer....but I am still worried about getting through One day compared to hear people say they could go 2 full days without a charge.....I don't get it.

mrxblue

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
This is similar to what I am experiencing, accept I seem to lose the first 50% of my battery very quickly....this morning, I went from 100% at 7:00 am to 64% before it was even 11:00 am and that was only looking at email, and Android Central and 2 minutes on Facebook. Like you said,The second 50% of the battery seems to last longer....but I am still worried about getting through One day compared to hear people say they could go 2 full days without a charge.....I don't get it.

No way you can get close to 48 hrs with the 3200mah stock battery, unless you have real minimal use

wanzik

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I had mine fully charged Friday and 5pm and didn't plug it in until this morning (Monday) at about 10:30 am with 9% left. Obviously not heavy use but it was at least moderate. I used it when I wanted to and I'm thrilled with that. Way better than my Thunderbolt with the stock battery. I'd get one day out of it, almost 2 if I didn't use it at all.

Last edited:

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I hope the people who are having battery issues get it straightened out. I just went almost 48hrs before charging with 6 plus hours of on screen time. I'll let you know I have location access turned off. Facebook sync is turned off also. Facebook is another huge battery snob. I'm more then willing to list all my settings if it can help one person.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
are you shutting off data and wifi when you are not using it? are you set to LTE/CDMA in settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode?
During those hours of major power loss are you in a building with poor reception? are you using any task killers besides the stock task manager?

mrxblue

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
are you shutting off data and wifi when you are not using it? are you set to LTE/CDMA in settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode?
During those hours of major power loss are you in a building with poor reception? are you using any task killers besides the stock task manager?

I would also add that you should turn off auto-synching of accounts and GPS when you're not planning to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith