Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Battery calibration is a farce. There is no app that can calibrate your battery. All they do is erase your stats. Charge it all the way and let it go down to 10% or less. Do that every now and then. Erasing stats does nothing.
    Agreed. Never mess with forcing any type of battery stats or calibration in the two plus years I've been using Android.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I can tell you it's probably your Cox mail that's draining the battery. The standard email app is to blame for alot of battery drain issues. If you can turn that off to manual update. See if that helps.
    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you and I mean nothing but true respect.....with that said, I am completely baffled by this as the battery on this phone is supposed to be out standing! I do realize that this phone has a BIG screen and it is packed with a lot of Power and requires a lot of power, but......isn't something like email one of the main purposes of a smartphone? Although this battery is lasting a bit longer than my Thunderbolt, but really not by much! Yes, I know there is NO comparison between the Note 2 and the Tbolt.....I guess I expected so much more from the Note 2 battery based on what I have read. I did set Gmail and my Cox mail to manual, so they sync now only when I open the app, which seems to me will take the same power if when I open it, it has to bring in 50 emails in one shot, maybe I'm wrong??

I had Gmail and Cox mail coming into my Thunderbolt with no problems, and didn't have to set them to manual sync. The Cox email I set up on the Note 2 is even hard to look at, as the screen is very dim just when having that email app open on screen....Gmail is much more visible and brighter. I am not a Power User by any means....I basically do email, text, Android Central, a little Facebook and a little words with friends and Occasionally look at You tube videos I rarely search the web, don't watch movies etc.

I have read so many threads on what to do and not do on this phone......turn down brightness, do manual on email accounts, Turn Off location, s features, any type of syncing....etc. etc. I would think if the phone was built with all these awesome features, we should be able to use them??? I never had to turn off any of those similar items on my Tbolt and would pretty much get through the day with the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by TuringLock View Post
    The initial drop from 100% down to 97-92% range seems to happen quickly, and then it levels off and drains very slowly.

The GN2 has amazing battery life. You won't be disappointed in actual day to day use.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    This is similar to what I am experiencing, accept I seem to lose the first 50% of my battery very quickly....this morning, I went from 100% at 7:00 am to 64% before it was even 11:00 am and that was only looking at email, and Android Central and 2 minutes on Facebook. Like you said,The second 50% of the battery seems to last longer....but I am still worried about getting through One day compared to hear people say they could go 2 full days without a charge.....I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by GregMar View Post
    This is similar to what I am experiencing, accept I seem to lose the first 50% of my battery very quickly....this morning, I went from 100% at 7:00 am to 64% before it was even 11:00 am and that was only looking at email, and Android Central and 2 minutes on Facebook. Like you said,The second 50% of the battery seems to last longer....but I am still worried about getting through One day compared to hear people say they could go 2 full days without a charge.....I don't get it.
    No way you can get close to 48 hrs with the 3200mah stock battery, unless you have real minimal use

Swyped from Samsung galaxy note 2 (Verizon), titanium color

I had mine fully charged Friday and 5pm and didn't plug it in until this morning (Monday) at about 10:30 am with 9% left. Obviously not heavy use but it was at least moderate. I used it when I wanted to and I'm thrilled with that. Way better than my Thunderbolt with the stock battery. I'd get one day out of it, almost 2 if I didn't use it at all.
    Last edited by wanzik; 02-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mrxblue View Post
    No way you can get close to 48 hrs with the 3200mah stock battery, unless you have real minimal use

Mine lasted 52 hr at 15% left with 4 hr screen on time...

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mrxblue View Post

It's 3100mah, not 3200.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peter's Bugless Beast ICS

I hope the people who are having battery issues get it straightened out. I just went almost 48hrs before charging with 6 plus hours of on screen time. I'll let you know I have location access turned off. Facebook sync is turned off also. Facebook is another huge battery snob. I'm more then willing to list all my settings if it can help one person.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by GregMar View Post
    are you shutting off data and wifi when you are not using it? are you set to LTE/CDMA in settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode?
    During those hours of major power loss are you in a building with poor reception? are you using any task killers besides the stock task manager?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    are you shutting off data and wifi when you are not using it? are you set to LTE/CDMA in settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode?
    During those hours of major power loss are you in a building with poor reception? are you using any task killers besides the stock task manager?
    I would also add that you should turn off auto-synching of accounts and GPS when you're not planning to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I hope the people who are having battery issues get it straightened out. I just went almost 48hrs before charging with 6 plus hours of on screen time. I'll let you know I have location access turned off. Facebook sync is turned off also. Facebook is another huge battery snob. I'm more then willing to list all my settings if it can help one person.

Yes, please.

I'm battling some overnight battery drain that differs from daytime battery drain.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Thank you so much for the help! Ok hmmm, just checked on the network setting and it was on "Global" geesh, I think I know/assumed it should be CDMA, Best Buy doesn't really check those things when they set you up I guess.

Will that make a big difference? What exactly does Global do? I have been going through and turning off auto syncs and other items today. Also, I have great signal and 4g pretty much everywhere. I do not use a task killer. I learned not to do that on my prior Thunderbolt!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by charles-89 View Post
    Modifying some of those settings should help with battery life. Your welcome!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Can you post all of your settings. I have a SGH1317 att GN2. Before the 4.1.2 upgrade I had fabulous battery usage. Almost too good to believe. Nothing was disabled, wifi was on. After the update there was a remarkable change. I now have all att bloatware disabled other than hot spots. Im thinking of disabling music media and mobile media. What about location services. This is a royal pain in the ****...what did the update do?

I have WiFi, bluetooth, GPS, sync which is off unless I need to use any of it. My brightness is at 50% with auto off. I have 1 email account with push as well as my gmail and the other set to sync every hour. I have everything that deals with location off. Facebook and Twitter sync is disabled.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)-uploadfromtaptalk1360648267169.jpg  

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM

When I'm on lunch today I will list everything I have checked along with my battery life today. I can tell you right now I'm at 35percent left with 22hrs of on time. 5hrs 41mins of on screen time. Also I have had no signal for 3 percent of the time. In my book almost 6 hrs of screen time with 35 percent battery life is great.

And this was watching 2 movies with it. Taken 2 and Ted

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)-uploadfromtaptalk1360693335189.jpg  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Unless something else is going on I can say signal strength can be a significant difference. I live in an area with crappy cell service for any carrier (I have Verizon and have had others in the past), there are times I drop off the 3G radar, forget LTE (but 1/2 mile away - *uphill* - is 5 bars) and if I spend the exact same day at home vs at the office (5 bars at the office) then my battery will drain much faster at home than work. I can't tell you definitively how much but probably in the 30% different range and maybe more. Both have WiFi so that's constant between locations.

Aside from that I'm at 90% after 6.5 hours of light use, one short call, some emails and texts, and 50% of the drain is screen right now. Yeah, can't stop playing with the damn thing. If I was home I would expect to be down in the mid 80s or low 80s by now, just due to reduced signal strength on cell radio.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM

Ok here is what I have for settings. Hopefully this helps. I've also attached my current stats.
    Wifi ON
    Wifi kept always ON
    MORE SETTINGS sprint optimization ON
    NFC/SBEAM OFF
    Blocking mode ON
    LED OFF
    Screen mode Standard
    Brightness moved the dot to under the G
    Auto brightness OFF
    Screen out 30 seconds
    Smart rotate ON
    Smart stay ON
    Touch key light 1.5 seconds
    Power saving OFF
    Location services checked on
    GPS OFF
    Location and Google Checked
    Cloud samsung sync OFF
    Backup OFF
    Facebook sync OFF
    Google sync All on
    MAPS location reporting OFF
    Motion OFF
    SPEN Battery Saving checked
    SPEN KEEPER unchecked
    Air view OFF.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)-uploadfromtaptalk1360698866029.jpg   Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)-uploadfromtaptalk1360698891807.jpg   Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)-uploadfromtaptalk1360698910795.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Its also recommended once a month to let the battery completely drain before charging. I do this with every phone I have had and at the new billing cycle...a good way for me to remember to do it. This is good for the battery
    If you find that draining it once a month and recharging it works best for you then by all means continue to do so. However, per information on Lithium ion (Li) batteries at the Apple website (this is about the Li batteries not their use specifically in Apple products) you should let your Li battery go through one "charging cycle" once a month which is not quite the same as draining your battery once a month. Although completely draining and recharging takes your battery through a charging cycle, your battery can go through a charging cycle in a month without fully draining the battery.

A "charging cycle" is where the battery has lost 100% of its energy and been recharged, but the 100% loss may occur across multiple recharges. For instance if day 1 you use 33.3% of your battery then recharge it fully overnight, then day 2 use 33.3% of the battery then recharge it fully overnight, and then day 3 use 33.3% of the battery and then recharge it fully overnight, on the morning of day 4 the battery has gone through one "charging cycle".
    Last edited by universeand; 02-12-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregMargie View Post
    Just got my note 2 last night. I drained down to battery showing 'yellow' probably almost red. Charged all night, started playing (nothing heavy used st all) and setting up my phone at 6:30am and was just on an hour call. It is now 11:00 am snd my battery shows 64 percent?? Wow, what sm I doing wrong?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    You actually might not be doing anything wrong. The greatest improvement in battery from the Thunderbolt to the Note 2 is idle usage (plus sheer size). On a Rezound battery, the Thunderbolt will drain about 4-5%/hour on wifi and about 10%/hour on LTE with the screen off. The Note 2 will drain about 0.5%/hour on LTE with the screen off.

However, if you are using the Note (which really just means having the screen on, since the processor is fast enough to not run down that much, in general), then I generally expect the battery to go down by 12% for every hour of screen time. So if I used the phone for all 4 hours, 11 minutes, I would expect the phone to be down to 48%. Where the Note 2 is great is that usually, you wouldn't be on the phone for 8 hours in a row. So a couple of hours in the morning, a couple of hours in the afternoon, and the phone would still be at about 40% at night. If the phone doesn't charge overnight, it will still be at about 35% the next morning. By contrast, with the same usage, the Thunderbolt should be completely dead by 4 or 5 in the afternoon, and if charged up to 100% again and unplugged (and LTE is left on overnight), it would be dead again before morning.

The battery meter is also amazingly accurate -- if I reboot the Thunderbolt, the battery meter might show 60% before the reboot and 35% after the reboot (no, the reboot doesn't take 25% of battery!). So when the Thunderbolt battery meter shows 40% (nominal), it's really more like 15% (actual), and it plunges from 15% (nominal) to 0% in minutes. With the Note, a reboot usually doesn't change the battery meter at all, or maybe by 1% or 2%. So 40% battery showing on the Note usually means that there are still 3 hours of screen-on time left. So the Thunderbolt is really, really deceptive that way.

In the other post where your battery was at 91% after 52 minutes, and screen was at 60%, that is consistent with having the screen turned on during the whole time (based on my 12%/hour usage estimate, I would expect it to have used 10.5% or so by that point).

Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    mrxblue likes this.

Also, I don't use the phone as a telephone much, so I don't have an accurate estimate of how much battery use as a telephone is, but it is also not low. I currently have 67% left, which GSAM estimates gives me 10 hours of talk time, so if that is accurate, then 1 hour of phone usage also equals 6.7% of battery. I currently have screen on time of 2 hours, 8 hours of time off the charger, and 10 minutes of talk time (so my estimate of use would be 24% + 4% + 1%, or 29% vs. 33% actual; I am having issues lately with something as well, perhaps Adobe Reader, because battery use typically used to fall *below* the estimate).

how do you manage to extract so much from this battery eater monster??

One thing I really dislike about this phone is that the battery drops from 100% to below 90% pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    One thing I really dislike about this phone is that the battery drops from 100% to below 90% pretty quick.
    But I find it slows down after the initial fast drop.
    Ridin' a Note 2 blast

Quote Originally Posted by universeand View Post
    But I find it slows down after the initial fast drop.
    And that's one thing I really LIKE about the Note aha.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast