Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Must Player Recommendations

    What's a good music player on Android?

    The Samsung music player is decent, but I like viewing by Artist and then by Album, however when viewing by Artist you can't have albums repeat because it's basically one giant list.

    This has lead me to search for other music players. I've tried WinAmp, which I actually really like, but today was my first full day of listening and songs started skipping. Really annoying to have songs skip audio while playing like it's an old CD player. I've read up on this issue and apparently it's due to the CPU clocking down too low and not enough CPU to power the music properly. I might be wrong, but I do know I'm experiencing this and it sure was annoying.

    What player do you use to play your music? Does it skip? I listen to music all day on my phone so I desperately need a good player.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    I like rocket music player, when you put buds in it immediately starts playing. The free version is limited but it does what you want and you can search through songs.

    I like sensor music player for when im driving or working out, wave your hand over the phone and it skips, go back, pause. Very useful when you're on the busy interstate and can't be looking down

    have you heard about the GN2, yea it's awesome (^-^)
    Have you heard about the GN2, yea it's awesome! (^_^)
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    I really don't use it, but I've heard DoubleTwist is really good (iTunes replacement, some call it... that would only discourage ME IMHO :P). I stream most of my music, so the Spotify player is all I can use in my phone (even if I want to play 'offline' files, otherwise I'd lose the ability to mix streamed songs with local ones).
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Poweramp is really good with lots of customization.


    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Power amp is the best music app in market.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    I've used PowerAmp but prefer PlayerPro.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Thanks for all the recommendations. Going to try and use them all and see which one is the best that suits my needs. So far I used PowerAmp and DoubleTwist today.

    Going to try and split them up half and half. Both were good and had what I needed, but DoubleTwist had a few quirks I didn't like. I definitely do like all the options and customization PowerAmp offers. We'll see how the others compare in the upcoming days, but PowerAmp seems like an instant top candidate.

    Tomorrow I'll be trying Rocket Music Player and PlayerPro. PlayerPro does look real nice so might be another good choice.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Going to try and use them all and see which one is the best that suits my needs. So far I used PowerAmp and DoubleTwist today.

    Going to try and split them up half and half. Both were good and had what I needed, but DoubleTwist had a few quirks I didn't like. I definitely do like all the options and customization PowerAmp offers. We'll see how the others compare in the upcoming days, but PowerAmp seems like an instant top candidate.

    Tomorrow I'll be trying Rocket Music Player and PlayerPro. PlayerPro does look real nice so might be another good choice.
    Be sure to download the DSP pack and enable it for PlayerPro. This allows you to mix the sound like PowerAmp.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a download as well. I usually don't fool around with the DSP/equalizer, but when trying out players gotta give everything a go.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a download as well. I usually don't fool around with the DSP/equalizer, but when trying out players gotta give everything a go.
    I don't either but figured I'd mention it.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Well it seems I'll be sticking with PowerAmp, I hope. Both Rocket Music Player and Player Pro did skipping. I liked Player Pro a lot more than PowerAmp, but I couldn't find any settings to prevent audio skip like within PowerAmp so unfortunately it's a no go.

    The other unfortunate issue is when I went back to PowerAmp, it skipped too. It was on default settings so I enabled the two audio skipping features so hopefully it goes smoother tomorrow. Definitely disappointed right now that it's struggling with audio.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    Well it seems I'll be sticking with PowerAmp, I hope. Both Rocket Music Player and Player Pro did skipping. I liked Player Pro a lot more than PowerAmp, but I couldn't find any settings to prevent audio skip like within PowerAmp so unfortunately it's a no go.

    The other unfortunate issue is when I went back to PowerAmp, it skipped too. It was on default settings so I enabled the two audio skipping features so hopefully it goes smoother tomorrow. Definitely disappointed right now that it's struggling with audio.
    Skipping as in the audio cut in and out? That's strange. I've used PlayerPro on an HTC Thunderbolt, RAZR, RAZR Maxx HD, and Note II and have yet to experience this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Skipping as in the audio cut in and out? That's strange. I've used PlayerPro on an HTC Thunderbolt, RAZR, RAZR Maxx HD, and Note II and have yet to experience this.
    Yup, if you ever used a CD player back in the day, exactly like if you hit a bump. The audio will skip in and out, sound muffled kind of while it tries to read in all the data, but struggles to. It basically chocks, it hits a point where it needs more data to continue playing, but that data isn't available as the clocked down CPU plus other processes requesting the CPU are in the way.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    Yup, if you ever used a CD player back in the day, exactly like if you hit a bump. The audio will skip in and out, sound muffled kind of while it tries to read in all the data, but struggles to. It basically chocks, it hits a point where it needs more data to continue playing, but that data isn't available as the clocked down CPU plus other processes requesting the CPU are in the way.
    Maybe a SD card issue or maybe do a factory reset? Does this happen while using the stock media player? I have never had this issue with any music player on any phone.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Maybe a SD card issue or maybe do a factory reset? Does this happen while using the stock media player? I have never had this issue with any music player on any phone.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Happens on both internal storage and my SD card, so don't think it's the card. I probably will have to do a factory reset, but I'm hoping the options in PowerAmp will save me. Will find out soon enough, but I really don't want to factory reset, especially when I see other people with the issue. Takes a full day for me to reset and get my phone back in working condition with all my media, apps, settings, etc.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    Happens on both internal storage and my SD card, so don't think it's the card. I probably will have to do a factory reset, but I'm hoping the options in PowerAmp will save me. Will find out soon enough, but I really don't want to factory reset, especially when I see other people with the issue. Takes a full day for me to reset and get my phone back in working condition with all my media, apps, settings, etc.
    How about the stock music player? Your issue seems hardware related of you cant solve it with the last resort reset. And with my nightmare on CLNR I would never recommend.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Try disabling the Music FX application in the settings menu.

    SETTINGS. APPS. ALL. MUSIC FX. DISABLE

    Some have reported this as a cause on other Samsung devices.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    How about the stock music player? Your issue seems hardware related of you cant solve it with the last resort reset. And with my nightmare on CLNR I would never recommend.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    It happens with the stock player as well, pretty much every music player I've tried so far. I reboot my device every day as I switch to my old phone for gym purposes as I don't want my Note II getting sweaty. So it can't be anything like the memory being full. Just looking at my memory usage now is good so really don't think it's that.

    Seeing your thread with returning devices, I definitely won't be returning mine at all. Risk is too high and I'm a stickler for any little knick on my devices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Try disabling the Music FX application in the settings menu.

    SETTINGS. APPS. ALL. MUSIC FX. DISABLE

    Some have reported this as a cause on other Samsung devices.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Hmm, wonder if that's the cause? I don't use the equalizer at all so should be safe to disable. I'll see how that goes, hopefully well.

    Thanks for the tip.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Try it out and report back. I'll look for more options if that fails because like you I'm a stickler for things. I'll admit it one little flaw sends me into a frenzy. I hate scratches- even tiny ones.

    Have you tried music that's never been on an iPhone? Maybe conversion went bad?

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Try it out and report back. I'll look for more options if that fails because like you I'm a stickler for things. I'll admit it one little flaw sends me into a frenzy. I hate scratches- even tiny ones.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Yup, even the tiny ones drive me insane. When I got my Note II I didn't even use it for a week until my shield came in so I could protect it. :P

    I listen to music pretty much 90% of the time I'm at work so it's definitely a good 6-7hrs. It's what gives me a good timetable to test the apps recommended and also the solutions. So I'll report back tomorrow after work with the results.

    I'll be putting my PowerAmp back to default so I can just test the MusicFX and if that doesn't work I'll try a combination of PowerAmp settings with the MusicFX disabled.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    Yup, even the tiny ones drive me insane. When I got my Note II I didn't even use it for a week until my shield came in so I could protect it. :P

    I listen to music pretty much 90% of the time I'm at work so it's definitely a good 6-7hrs. It's what gives me a good timetable to test the apps recommended and also the solutions. So I'll report back tomorrow after work with the results.

    I'll be putting my PowerAmp back to default so I can just test the MusicFX and if that doesn't work I'll try a combination of PowerAmp settings with the MusicFX disabled.
    Have you tried music that's never been on an apple product? Conversion issue maybe?

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Have you tried music that's never been on an apple product? Conversion issue maybe?

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    These are MP3's, albeit with high bit rate. Most of them are 320 kbps, although some are 192 kbps. Hardly any, if any, are lower than 192 kbps. No conversion needed, they play fine on any device, even my car.
    Thanked by:
    Eclipse2K likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    This might be a crazy question. But do you think your skipping could really be being caused by notifications coming in? It's an annoyance with Android that I have noticed coming from ios last year. Every time an email or text notification comes in, the music skips, pauses and then restarts. The only way to stop it would be to turn off notifications for the other items.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    Notifications is one of the things that affect it. I'm fairly confident it's because the CPU is being clocked down when the screen is off to save battery. When this occurs and something else tries to use the CPU (notifications as an example) the CPU isn't running high enough to allow the audio to playback properly while receiving the notification.

    As for my tests today. Disabling MusicFX didn't stop the skips. The 750ms delay in PowerAmp did seem to help though. Didn't get any skips after turning on the delay, albeit 750ms is a little low. I may email the developer to add 1s or 2s options. I'm confident that If I continue on I'll eventually hit an issue with 750ms. There is the higher audio priority option as well, but I played around with it and it definitely causes the OS to lag a bit so I want to a void that.

    I'll continue testing the 750ms delay.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Must Player Recommendations

    After all of the settings you're testing out and getting no true fix maybe it's time for a factory reset and see if that helps. I understand setting up everything takes forever and as you know no one knows this more than me after all the CLNR I've dealt with. But it may be worth the effort if there is a chance the issue can be solved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Music Player recommendation
    By rteichman in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 12:52 PM
  2. Recommendations Needed for Android MP3 Player App
    By CruisingWriter in forum ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
  3. DIVX (.avi) Movie Player App Recommendation Needed
    By CruisingWriter in forum ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
  4. Device recommendations - imaging, media player, "semi outdoor"?
    By kr428 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 02:19 PM
  5. video player recommendations?
    By aweber1nj in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions