I have the worst luck with CLNR

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
This is why I don't like refurbished devices. It's all luck of the draw because like you said, the company doesn't really spend much time looking into the device. If it turns on and has all 4 sides, it's good to ship.

I once had a device replaced and the replacement came in dirty. Actual brown dirt all over the device. How can a device like that be sent out?

As per your experiences, there should be mandatory checks before a device is sent out. Does it turn on? Any loose pieces? Any rattling noises? etc. Just because it's refurbished doesn't mean they can send out junk. I think this will never change because a lot of people just take it without questions. Instead of sending it back they just take the device given. The people that return are lesser so they don't worry about it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is why I don't like refurbished devices. It's all luck of the draw because like you said, the company doesn't really spend much time looking into the device. If it turns on and has all 4 sides, it's good to ship.

I once had a device replaced and the replacement came in dirty. Actual brown dirt all over the device. How can a device like that be sent out?

As per your experiences, there should be mandatory checks before a device is sent out. Does it turn on? Any loose pieces? Any rattling noises? etc. Just because it's refurbished doesn't mean they can send out junk. I think this will never change because a lot of people just take it without questions. Instead of sending it back they just take the device given. The people that return are lesser so they don't worry about it.

This is why I always send it back. I do not accept this from my car either so I dont single out Verizon. My 2012 Acura has this metal on metal rattle from the passenger seat when no one is sitting in it. Its probably hitting the floor board so like my phone Acura will be adjusting this during my oil change. I pay good money for my things and I have to work to earn money to pay for these. Im glad some people understand where im coming from and just dont assume im being overly picky. I have actually taught Verizon tech support some things they were unaware of. They were appreciative and with this whole experience they seem to be understanding too. The last representative I spoke with could not believe how bad this has gotten.

Right now im using a case to keep the cover from popping off but I cant stand cases. I want to use a simple Flip Cover and call it a day. I realize Samsung is at fault for this but this isnt only an issie with Samsung. Motorola is no better.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The best way to avoid used clnr for as long as possible is to buy from Costco wireless, it has a 90 day return /exchange policy. After that, you are stuck on Verizon policy. If you don't want a used clnr, call in right when a new phone is released, that way you are guaranteed a new phone replacement. Of course, switching phones is a ymmv.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The best way to avoid used clnr for as long as possible is to buy from Costco wireless, it has a 90 day return /exchange policy. After that, you are stuck on Verizon policy. If you don't want a used clnr, call in right when a new phone is released, that way you are guaranteed a new phone replacement. Of course, switching phones is a ymmv.

Don't you have to sign a new contract with Costco? I would love to buy from them but I'm not losing my unlimited data. I'm at work listening to XM Radio and soon Netflix. 2 GB won't cut it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't you have to sign a new contract with Costco? I would love to buy from them but I'm not losing my unlimited data. I'm at work listening to XM Radio and soon Netflix. 2 GB won't cut it.

Your options of getting a new phone without losing unlimited data are not as good.

You can upgrade one of the other lines on your plan, if you have a family plan, or you can convert your plan to a family plan, then add a line. Put a dumb phone or phantom phone on the line so you only have to pay the $10 monthly fee on that line.

If you don't have a family plan, or don't want to add a line, then instead of buying at full retail, you can open a new line of service through Costco wireless, then cancel service and pay etf. You should still be able to return or exchange the phone within 90 days.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Your options of getting a new phone without losing unlimited data are not as good.

You can upgrade one of the other lines on your plan, if you have a family plan, or you can convert your plan to a family plan, then add a line

If you don't have a family plan, or don't want to add a line, then instead of buying at full retail, you can open a new line of service through Costco wireless, then cancel service and pay etf. You should still be able to return or exchange the phone within 90 days.

Oh well, guess I'm sort of screwed. I just wish Samsung and Verizon had better options. CLNR to me means Like New. Not scratched or loose panels. Maybe when I'm ready to upgrade ill consider it but so far I don't want to lose unlimited data. The peace of mind is nice. Bill started on the 11th but I have been using Netflix to keep me awake so my data is sky rocketing for once...

9ahy2yru.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh well, guess I'm sort of screwed. I just wish Samsung and Verizon had better options. CLNR to me means Like New. Not scratched or loose panels. Maybe when I'm ready to upgrade ill consider it but so far I don't want to lose unlimited data. The peace of mind is nice. Bill started on the 11th but I have been using Netflix to keep me awake so my data is sky rocketing for once...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/15/9ahy2yru.jpg

You are right, they should send you another one. With regards to getting new phone and keeping unlimited unthrottled 4glte, yeah, your options are more limited. But think long and hard before giving up unlimited unthrottled 4glte. Once it is gone, there is no going back, and the tiered data plans are extremely expensive for heavy data users.

Btw, just look at my avatar...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You are right, they should send you another one. With regards to getting new phone and keeping unlimited unthrottled 4glte, yeah, your options are more limited. But think long and hard before giving up unlimited unthrottled 4glte. Once it is gone, there is no going back, and the tiered data plans are extremely expensive for heavy data users.

Btw, just look at my avatar...

This is why I won't let go. I only use my phone away from home and there is no sense for me to have a Note II if I can't watch video and stream music to my hearts content away from home. If I lose unlimited data I'd rather save the money and get a basic phone to be honest. I'd be paying Verizon just to worry about limits?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is why I won't let go. I only use my phone away from home and there is no sense for me to have a Note II if I can't watch video and stream music to my hearts content away from home. If I lose unlimited data I'd rather save the money and get a basic phone to be honest. I'd be paying Verizon just to worry about limits?

I agree, I had a basic phone before my thunderbolt, I got the thunderbolt for the 4glte, and wanted to use my phone to stream music and video in addition to email and browsing. I would not be happy if I had to eliminate streaming. Having a beautiful display just to check email and browsing seems like a waste.

Btw, i like amazon instant video HD over Netflix, it seems to have a better image. Of course. Netflix seems to use 400mb/hr while amazon instant video HD uses 1gb/hr.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I had a basic phone before my thunderbolt, I got the thunderbolt for the 4glte, and wanted to use my phone to stream music and video in addition to email and browsing. I would not be happy if I had to eliminate streaming. Having a beautiful display just to check email and browsing seems like a waste.

Btw, i like amazon instant video HD over Netflix, it seems to have a better image. Of course. Netflix seems to use 400mb/hr while amazon instant video HD uses 1gb/hr.

Amazon Video doesn't have an app though as far as I know.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Amazon Video doesn't have an app though as far as I know.

Correct, i installed flash and play amazon instant video through Firefox. It works, but certainly not as convenient as an app.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Correct, i installed flash and play amazon instant video through Firefox. It works, but certainly not as convenient as an app.

I wonder why Amazon has yet to release an application. I've been a Prime member for years and wish they would just do it already!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why Amazon has yet to release an application. I've been a Prime member for years and wish they would just do it already!

They probably want less competition for their kindle fire. Since they have a kindle app, it should not be that difficult to make it work with regular android

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21