Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has anybody tried this wireless charging kit?

The price is reasonable compared to eBay..
    Has anyone tried this, if so, what is your opinion of it? Delivery time?
    Anything is appreciated! Thanks!

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default Re: Has anybody tried this wireless charging kit?

None of these kits will work with the Sprint versions of the Note 2 unless you use a Dremel tool and slightly modify a small piece of plastic shield inside the phone that's blocking the 2 contacts the wireless device needs to make contact with.
    At the bottom of this link, look at the first 2 pictures.(Those are pics of the Sprint model)

In Pic #1, see the hole where the screw has been removed? Those 2 small contacts just to the left of it is what the the pad needs to make contact with. Unfortunately the Sprint version has a plastic plate blocking them from being exposed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for replying, I have modified my vzw note 2 to where the wireless charging contacts are accessible. Just wondering on the quality of this kit.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

I wish they had more pics of it installed in a Note 2. It looks like the phone part is adhesive and you just have to stick it to the inside of the back cover (properly aligned of course). If that is the way it works it should be very simple install. Not a bad price either. Hopefully someone responds who has used it.

EDIT: OK this looks like about the same thing on Amazon. It has no reviews, and is more money, but it has more pics:
    Amazon.com: Qi Standard Wireless Charger Pad Charging Receiver for Samsung Note2: Cell Phones & Accessories

Michael
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I went ahead and bought it from fasttech.com ($45 shipped with coupon code "CPASTE13SPRING"). Will write up a review if y'all want once I receive it and use it for a while.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kris.richards View Post
    I went ahead and bought it from fasttech.com ($45 shipped with coupon code "CPASTE13SPRING"). Will write up a review if y'all want once I receive it and use it for a while.
    Ya, let us know how it goes. Keep us updated. Thanx
    Josphe72 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

I saw this the other day, keep use posted as i want this for my at&t note too!

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2

Keep in mind that wireless charging wastes a boatload of electric power. It's convenient, but not at all "green."

I've never understood how not plugging in a little micro-USB jack constituted such a benefit. The plug fits into the little slot just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    Keep in mind that wireless charging wastes a boatload of electric power. It's convenient, but not at all "green."

I've never understood how not plugging in a little micro-USB jack constituted such a benefit. The plug fits into the little slot just fine for me.
    You have a good point but you must have never used this method of charging. This is the only thing I miss about my palm pre days. Lean over without looking,, one hand,, grab off charger,,, put back on again, one handed without looking. You can't miss what you most likely never had.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    love my evo.

ROM
    Stock

I think its just the hassle of having to put it in when you could simply set it down. I struggle sometimes at night when trying to plug it in the dark. I dont want to force the usb cable and damge the port. Also wireless charging would be another method of charging if the usb port ever got damaged for whatever reason. I think its pretty neat.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by:
    zmann likes this.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

These are low-powered devices, charging from very close distances. I would not call the 15% loss of efficiency, compared to traditional chargers, a boatload of wasted electrical power.

But more importantly it is very convenient to just set it down and have it charge. No need to fiddle around with a connector that only works one way, and then be tethered to the cable should you need to make/take a quick call or text. Having a charging stand on my nightstand and desk seems quite attractive to me. Right now I plug and unplug my smartphone countless times during the day while working. I will gladly take the convenience of just setting my phone down to charge it.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
    These are low-powered devices, charging from very close distances. I would not call the 15% loss of efficiency, compared to traditional chargers, a boatload of wasted electrical power.
    It's not 15% - more like 50% loss. But continue.
    saltydawg904 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

The main reason I'm getting it is so I don't have to pull the cord out from behind my bed. I think it'll be a good alternative for overnight charging but not so much during the day since it is slower to traditional charging. Will keep everyone posted as to how it works out

It's not 15% - more like 50% loss. But continue.
    So, instead of using 10W of power this uses 15W.
    Even if charging 24/7 we are talking about $2 per year more in electricity costs. But since it is likely energized less than 1/3 of that is it really worth any amount of worry?

Sent from my SG Note 2 [Tapatalk]

Quote Originally Posted by roberte1342 View Post
    So, instead of using 10W of power this uses 15W.
    Even if charging 24/7 we are talking about $2 per year more in electricity costs. But since it is likely energized less than 1/3 of that is it really worth any amount of worry?

You must be paying dirt cheap for electricity. 15w constantly running for a year would be 131.4 kwh. I pay about 15 cents per kwh, so about $20 a year you on the other hand are paying 1.5 cents per kwh

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Quote Originally Posted by roberte1342 View Post
    So, instead of using 10W of power this uses 15W. [Tapatalk]
    At 50% loss you'd be using 20W-hr instead of 10. You need to brush up both on your math and your units. But continue.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You must be paying dirt cheap for electricity. 15w constantly running for a year would be 131.4 kwh. I pay about 15 cents per kwh, so about $20 a year you on the other hand are paying 1.5 cents per kwh

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II
    I'm not saying anything about the total cost but the increased cost.

A 50% increase from 10W is 15W. This is a 5W difference.

5W = 43kW in one year. This of course assumes that you are charging your phone at full power 24/7/365. Which is impossible unless your phone or battery is defective.

Let's assume the worst case scenario of 8 hour full power charge per day. This would consume 14.6 kW more per year.
    At your utility cost of 0.15 per kW, you will have spent a whopping $2.19.
    My utility cost is $0.10 costing me $1.46 per year.

At 50% loss you'd be using 20W-hr instead of 10. You need to brush up both on your math and your units. But continue.
    Seriously?

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

The thing just shipped last night, so we're looking at probably 2 weeks for delivery.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

Here's my big issue with wireless charging. The way I do things, I have USB chargers "everywhere". I also have 6' cables attached to those chargers. I have cigarette lighter chargers in our 3 vehicles...when I want to charge our devices, I can do so just about "everywhere" around the house or car (I didn't even mention that if need be, I have laptops to charge from also). THEREFORE, If I switched to wireless charging, I'd want to have a BUNCH of those suckers spread around. Not something I want to do, due to the unnecessary, frivolous cost.

Just to give you all an idea of how many USB chargers we have, there are FOUR in the family room, FOUR in the bedroom, one or two in my office... (obviously we have other devices that charge via USB). I have more chargers laying around in drawers.
    Samsung Note 2

ROM
    Stock

This would be nice if it works. Less wear and tear to our phone's charging port. (like what happened on my Nexus).

I've yet to ruin a USB port on any of my devices ( I have and do own plenty of devices that get charged at least once a day). I have had CABLES that went bad, including Monoprice 6' cables (very cheap) that would fall out of the charging ports due to poor workmanship on the metal portion of the plug. I threw them away and use the far better cables made by Media Bridge.
    Samsung Note 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    I've yet to ruin a USB port on any of my devices ( I have and do own plenty of devices that get charged at least once a day). I have had CABLES that went bad, including Monoprice 6' cables (very cheap) that would fall out of the charging ports due to poor workmanship on the metal portion of the plug. I threw them away and use the far better cables made by Media Bridge.
    You're talking about these , Dave?

I have the LG WCP-700 charging mat for my Nexus 4. I must say that this is a pretty cool way to charge! I just ordered a receiver pad from a highly rated vendor on ebay for my Note 2. Can't wait to start using the charging mat with my note 2 also. In all honestly it is a bit of a gimmick. Not really practical of you have tons of usb chargers laying around. It is not new technology but it is pretty cool to charge your phone by just laying it down on a mat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anybody tried this wireless charging kit?-nexus-4-chraging-mat.jpg  
    Last edited by planoman; 02-23-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

I have not used this particular charger but the first accessory I bought when I came from webOS was a wireless charger. One for home and one for work. I would think hard about buying a phone that didn't have this option available.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast