Decision making pickle...

Kloned

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My contract with Verizon is about up and i do not want to lose my unlimited data plan so i am looking into getting a note 2 through other means than a renewal..

I will be traveling through Dubai in a couple of weeks and have the option to purchase one there in the duty free. From what i have read the verizon version of the note 2 handles both CDMA and GSM. Would the international version from Dubai do the same? Is it worth paying the cash for the international version of the phone? Another option is to switch to Sprint for thier unlimited data plan and the phone is only $70.00 through amazon wireless with a new contract.. But from what I have read you are very limited with thier version being stuck with straight CDMA and no sim card slot. I travel internationally twice a month so its pretty essentional that i have the international abilities.

Option 1: Purchase the international version from Dubai (around $500) no new contract
Option 2: Upgrade with verizon and lose my unlimited data ($180) new 2 year contract
Option 3: Switch to sprint and possibly suffer CDMA only ($70) new 2 year contract

If any of you are wiser than me about all of the different versions that the carriers have vs. the international version will you please enlighten me...

hope this made sense...
Kloned

TuringLock

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The only viable option for preserving unlimited data on Verizon is to purchase the Verizon version at full price.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Kloned

May 3, 2011
Visit site
True but what is the difference between the Verizon Note 2 and the international Note 2. from what I understand i would be able to use any international sim card in the international one due to it being unlocked where the Verizon one is locked?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
True but what is the difference between the Verizon Note 2 and the international Note 2. from what I understand i would be able to use any international sim card in the international one due to it being unlocked where the Verizon one is locked?

I believe I would buy the international. Now what about updates? You don't want the crap they put on it here or miss out on the features they remove here.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Kloned

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I posted with a link to another forum with what I think is my answer.. just waiting for it to be approved.

Also for those that have the verizon version does it have the sim card slot accessable? If so hopefully verizon would unlock it so I could use international sim cards..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Go to best buy and have them pm dell for $129, you can still get the $50 gc, assuming that you signed up for it, bringing it down to $79, with a new line of service. Then as soon as you get home, cancel right away and pay $350 etf.

Voila, a Verizon Note II for $429, and you get to keep unlimited data. Or, if you have a family line, just add a line, then put a dumb phone or phantom phone on that line

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
[MOD][ROOT] VZW GN2 GSM Unlock - Add APN Data - Remove Non-Verizon SIM Message - xda-developers
I posted with a link to another forum with what I think is my answer.. just waiting for it to be approved.

Also for those that have the verizon version does it have the sim card slot accessable? If so hopefully verizon would unlock it so I could use international sim cards..

The Verizon version does have a removable micro sim,and it does come factory sim unlocked, BUT, Verizon locked the apn, do only voice and text work out of the box for international sims. You can root and do this mod to fix the apn block.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
You will need to check the specs on the Verizon Note2 and the International Note2, specifically the radios. I don't think the international version is going to have the CDMA radios and you will need those for Verizon.

If Verizon will not allow you to upgrade your phone and keep your unlimited plan and you don't like or can't live with the newer plans, then your only option is to buy a Verizon version at full price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You will need to check the specs on the Verizon Note2 and the International Note2, specifically the radios. I don't think the international version is going to have the CDMA radios and you will need those for Verizon.

If Verizon will not allow you to upgrade your phone and keep your unlimited plan and you don't like or can't live with the newer plans, then your only option is to buy a Verizon version at full price.

You are not gonna be able to use a non Verizon approved phone on Verizon, at least not without using methods that are gray at best. This includes non Verizon CDMA versions like Sprint, or other CDMA carriers.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
From the Amazon link you posted:
Depending on the Actual Model, if you're from USA you can have your carrier allow international use.
I don't know if this is a viable option with this phone or with Verizon but it's what my husband does with his AT&T BlackBerry when we travel. However, we only use data and not the phone. But I'm sure one of my Pilates clients on Verizon did this too so she could use her phone, but also on a BlackBerry.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has assured me that they will unblock my GN2 for use in Europe this summer, so I will be able to purchase SIMs in each of several countries (Serbia, Austria, Czech Republic) where I'll stay for a few days. My interest is more in data than phone, though it will be nice to be able to call restaurants for reservations, etc. while we're there. Data use will be mostly maps (for directions) and checking emails occasionally.

I believe the Verizon version of the GN2 has more radios and therefore more flexibility than any of the other flavors of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835