Read Text Aloud & Replying Via Voice While Driving?

Peter7523

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to make the phone read my text message out loud and reply to itvia voice while driving?

I connected my phone to my car's BT, have phone set to Driving Mode, and every time a text comes, it'll beep... BUT it doesn't say who it's from or read the text. And it certainly can't let me reply my text via voice... I'd like to know if anyone has gotten the 2 functions working without the use of S Voice as it seem to suck a lot... I prefer Google Now/Voice...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Drive Mode SHOULD do that... just make sure the right options are checked. There's a way to turn on/off the read-out-loud feature for messages, and for replying you should either click the microphone button on your keyboard or set up a 'magic word' for your phone to wake up and start typing with S-Voice.

I believe if you use a different SMS program than the stock one it does interfere with this. I wish Whatsapp messages worked with Drive Mode, too... SMS is useless to me, I seldom use it... but Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger can consume most of my typing time :p hehhee

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't even find drive mode anymore. With 4.1.1, drive mode was removed from notfictions and then it would send a reply text that you were driving.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, is your Recognition Type in the Handwriting setting set to Complete? Mine (AT&T) came set to Stroke and changing it made a tremendous difference.

You set it to complete? I've just started playing with it. What difference does complete make?

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
S-Voice will accomplish what you want. Long press the talk button on your BT device or touch the S-voice icon and say "read my text" when prompted by the double beep. Your text will be read over your BT speaker. You can then tap the reply button on screen and then speak to reply. I have used it quite a bit and it works just fine. It is the closest thing I have found to Siri in this regard.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You set it to complete? I've just started playing with it. What difference does complete make?

To quote Samsung (from their web site):
When using the complete recognition setting (in which the phone detects whole words rather than individual letter strokes), the handwriting box can recognize not only letters and numbers, but certain gestures. For instance, a line drawn through a word deletes it, or a squiggle drawn across a single letter deletes just that letter. To set the handwriting box to complete recognition, from the keyboard or box, touch the Settings wheel > Handwriting Settings > Recognition Type. Also within the Handwriting Settings menu, you can review the Gesture Guide for a full list of recognized gestures.
Give it a try, it took me less than 2 minutes to know I'd never change it back. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital