Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By ecs180
  • 2 Post By crystinonfire
  • 2 Post By SiriusXM
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Default Not so known battery saving tips

Hi everyone,

The other day i saw 30% drop in battery overnight. I had already researched battery saving ideas and had the usual settings (i.e., google now off, dim screen, etc.)

I came across 3 different tools that helped me big time...i am currently sitting at 80% after 16 hours

1) application manager -> swipe right to all - go through the list and disable "show notifications" for pretty much every app you don't need a notification for. also unistall updates/diasable/force stop any app you dont need (since there are a lot of random apps, only do this for obvious ones)

2) download (all free) cpu spy (confirm your phone is hitting deep sleep), my data manager (determine which apps are using data), and gsam battery monitor (determine which apps are both keeping your phone awake, and waking your phone). cross reference my data manager and gsm battery with the below.

3) the holy grail as someone referred to it - settings -> data usage -> scroll down to bottom -> manually disable background data for all obvious apps. i personally left my weather, email, and the android os ones alone. it is important to note that if you open your browser (or any other app) it is no longer a background app. you must do the hold home button clear open apps to close it out.

i am pretty good with tech, but am no expert and this worked for me (so far), but if anyone knows better please let me know

nice to see my battery finally in beast mode

_______JULY 2014 Kit Kat Update_______

If you found this thread, like me, your probably a**l about battery life. So i figured i put a quick update.

Deleted my data manager - ended up using battery
    Deleted GSM battery monitor - doesnt really have the same functionality in Kit Kat

Still - turn off notifications when i need to
    turned back on background data for facebook and amazon app store, since the apps run better with them

My new FAVORITE APP for battery life is....Greenify. Google should just buy this company and use it.

Download the free version, click literally every app except the ones you need (for me I left Nova launcher, weather bug, swiftkey, power toggles, cpu sky, app icon packs, screen dimmer and email).

Set up the app with full permissions. Now every time after you close out all your apps, run the greenify widget.

DONE...thats it...simple. Don't believe me...try it

last night my cpu spy had 93% deep sleep and i lost 5% over a 9 hour period

enjoy
    Last edited by ecs180; 07-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Default Re: Not so known battery saving tips

Quote Originally Posted by ecs180 View Post
    3) the holy grail as someone referred to it - settings -> data usage -> scroll down to bottom -> manually disable background data for all obvious apps. i personally left my weather, email, and the android os ones alone. it is important to note that if you open your browser (or any other app) it is no longer a background app. you must do the hold home button clear open apps to close it out.
    Is this one still helpful if you're hooked up to wifi all day?

The last option does nothing if you're always on WiFi... it only restricts the apps to NOT download any mobile data while in the background. If you open the app, though, mobile or WiFi, data can be consumed. If you're on WiFi, the app's local data policy applies (if it's polling for data in the background, it will continue to do so on WiFi).
    Thanked by:

Wow,, I don't want anything using data in the background. I go to individual app settings every time I install new app and I disable if I can. I only want an app to update if I actually want to use it. I just went through the data use settings and could not believe what some of my apps were using in the background. I disabled them all. I did not disable anything important,, just apps I installed.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    love my evo.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Final Stats with 17% left.
    -Normal use (intenet, text, gps on)
    -1 day 11hr
    -screen time on 3 hr 52
    -9% overnight drain (still something waking my device, think its a combination of the OS, email and weather)
    -i think this 17% would last me on normal use another few hours

-9% overnight drain (still something waking my device, think its a combination of the OS, email and weather)
    i have BeWeather and it lets you set "off" hours so it knows not to update while you're asleep.
    DaRkL3AD3R and Synycalwon like this.

I am a bit confused with the options of disable ar force stop, can anyone help as I probably have stock things running all the time should i stop these? i don't have many added apps my phone is fairly stock but It would be great to know what I should get rid of.

Andy

Great ideas! I also turned off all vibrations and the notification lights.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusXM View Post
    Great ideas! I also turned off all vibrations and the notification lights.

But I still must say Amazon > Best Buy even with price matching. Maybe different for mobile phones I'm not sure.

And good tips OP. I love my Note II but I sure miss the battery life of my RAZR Maxx HD.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Great post!

I went on Data usage and just Selected "Restrict background data" on the top right so it generally would restrict all apps.

Would this still auto update apps when I'm on wifi? (e.g. eMail notifs, chats) Can't test it for now, no WiFi till I get home.

thanks!

AT&T HTC One X - CM 10.1

I was really hoping to do this, but when I went to check it on my phone there was no visible options for this? =/ the only thing I can do is "restrict background data" which I assume affects all apps. Plus it leaves an ongoing notification in my panel.

I'm on a Verizon Note 2, ROM is Jelly Beans Build 10. I'm not sure if that affects this or not, but if someone could point out what you are supposed to see for the individual app thing I would appreciate it.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    I was really hoping to do this, but when I went to check it on my phone there was no visible options for this? =/ the only thing I can do is "restrict background data" which I assume affects all apps. Plus it leaves an ongoing notification in my panel.

I'm on a Verizon Note 2, ROM is Jelly Beans Build 10. I'm not sure if that affects this or not, but if someone could point out what you are supposed to see for the individual app thing I would appreciate it.
    Here's what I see on AT&T unrooted: Settings > Data Usage, then scroll down and you'll see a list of apps and what they've used (first pic). Tap one and it will take you to a page for that app (2nd pic) and at the very bottom of that page is the Restrict background data checkbox.

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

i have a verizon unrooted gn2 and i have the same screens as above
    Thanked by:

Thanks guys, especially for those 2 screenshots. I see the setting now
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    Here's what I see on AT&T unrooted: Settings > Data Usage, then scroll down and you'll see a list of apps and what they've used (first pic). Tap one and it will take you to a page for that app (2nd pic) and at the very bottom of that page is the Restrict background data checkbox.

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/9104/20130222142359.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img12/1382/20130222142434.png
    Omg people still use opera browser? Lol Chrome 4 life

ROM
    Stock

Deep Sleep Battery Pro works wonders.

I just turn off my mobile data when I'm not using it. My phone doesn't require mobile data for phone calls and standard text messages. I also use the app Juice Defender, and it turns the mobile data off when your phone is idle. This also helps when managing your data usage.

~Holliewood~
    ~*Purple Android*~

Nice tips. Thanks.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

I just got my Note II so I'll likely be resurrecting a lot of these old threads but GREAT tips! I was wondering where the Notification settings were! Only disabled them for certain downloaded apps though

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Final Stats with 17% left.
    -Normal use (intenet, text, gps on)
    -1 day 11hr
    -screen time on 3 hr 52
    -i think this 17% would last me on normal use another few hours
    You should also use something like Juice Defender, which turns of internet and wifi when the screen is off and no data transfer is detected.
    For me GPS is always off, i only use it when using navigation in the car. Or outside using Google Maps.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Hi everyone,

1) application manager -> swipe right to all - go through the list and disable "show notifications" for pretty much every app you don't need a notification for. also unistall updates/diasable/force stop any app you dont need (since there are a lot of random apps, only do this for obvious ones)
    Does this have any effect on apps which don't use the notification at all?