Predictive texting - doesn't work like my Incredible 2

Debbie Ricketts

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe someone can assist. I had an Incredible 2 up until this past week when I bought the Galaxy Note 2. I loved the predictive text with the HTC Incredible and would have thought this phone would have been as intuitive (or better)...but what I have found is quite the contrary. So if I happen to misspell a word when I am texting...the correct word (intuitively) is displayed as one of my word choices, but if I am not looking and don't physically choose it, but rather move on with my space bar to the next word, it will insert the misspelled word. I am making more mistakes than I ever did!! Is there a setting?? Is it adding these misspelled words to my personal dictionary? Oh my! :-\

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The good news: it's not adding these misspelled words to your dictionary unless you specifically hit the misspelled word above the keyboard in the word choice.

The bad news: there is no auto-correction currently on the stock Samsung keyboard. It is like this on the Galaxy S3 as well, and I believe the original Note 1 after it got it's update (not 100% on that)

Why do they do this? Not sure. Auto correct is there in the programming as there are mods that enable it, but they require you gain root access to your phone in order to install them. Not something I'd recommend to a more casual user. Unfortunately no one really knows why Samsung is disabling auto-correct on their keyboards as of late. I would have originally chalked it up to a bug that needs to be fixed, but after seeing a few other devices receive updates that did the same thing, it's starting to look intentional...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Download the free version of Kii Keyboard. The premium version is just under $5 and worth every penny.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Debbie Ricketts

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all. Yes, very disappointing...I feel like I have gone backwards instead of forwards with this quirky behavior. I was told by someone else to try swiftkey, but I believe that is what is installed. I will have to look. I think I will have to send out a general text to all my friends..beware of misspelled words...not my fault, but rather Samsungs.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up, that currently Swift Key is on sale for $1.99. I believe it's regularly $4.99 so it's a little over half off. It's on sale due to the recent release (today) of the new version of Swift Key, Swift Key 4.

Swift Key does have a trial, so you can give that a try quickly. It lasts a month, but if you end up liking it, it would save you by purchasing the full version now.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey is the best in my opinion. The more you use the better it gets.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey is worth the $1.99. I paid the full price and certainly don't regret it. No more worries about misspelled words. The predictive text is awesome with swiftkey.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
y7e4u2y8.jpg
Great thing about latest swiftkey update is they added more themes. I have been using the neon theme for 2 years and now they have a red theme that looks great. I also love that you can make the keys bigger,, great feature.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. Yes, very disappointing...I feel like I have gone backwards instead of forwards with this quirky behavior. I was told by someone else to try swiftkey, but I believe that is what is installed. I will have to look. I think I will have to send out a general text to all my friends..beware of misspelled words...not my fault, but rather Samsungs.

It wouldn't be Samsungs fault if Swiftkey was installed but I doubt it is. Swiftkey is a amazing keyboard from the app store. Samsungs keyboard is a weird version of swype.

I'd just recommend trying a new keyboard and you will find it easier to type without the frustration of misspelled words :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Kii keyboard is free and it's much better than anything else I've tried. It has true Auto correct.

Kii is very good too. There is a free version but if you like it I would recommend paying for the full version. You get more options and support the development team. It's not a lot of money for the app that you will probably use the most. You can't go wrong with kii or swiftkey.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a different phone and manufacturer.
What do you expect

Auto-correct on a QWERTY touch screen keyboard should not be manufacturer specific. It's 2013, and this is Android, the number one most used smartphone OS on the planet. The fact that these devices lack auto-correction, an EXTREMELY common feature, is a bit disconcerting. I don't know why Samsung stripped this "feature" from the keyboards, but it desperately needs it.

The best alternative is not to get a new keyboard but instead to start using the swype-like method on the same stock Samsung keyboard. It generally gets the word right and you can even use your own personal dictionary with it. Its faster than tap-texting (for most people) and once you get used to it you'll never want to tap out a text again. Highly recommended that you try.

To me downloading an additional keyboard, especially a 3rd party one, is wasted resources as you already have storage space wasted on a keyboard specifically engineered for this very device.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Dark.. One thing I challenge you with. Name a phone.. Any android phone... With a stock keyboard as advanced as a 3rd party one..

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Last edited:

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I use Swype Beta, it's not in the Play Store, download from Swype & free, it has a customisable and resizable keyboard. Also supports voice typing. It even has features to select areas of text to edit, capitalise or move. Shortcuts to applications as well. I find the predictive text (gives you at least 12 variants on every word) & running spell-check almost flawless. It auto spaces & capitalizes new sentences & proper nouns brilliantly. No need to select a shift key for punctuation, just tap/ hold the symbol & drag to space bar. Lastly, link it to your accounts & it will 'learn' your writing style, contacts, Twitter handles & so forth. The important thing to remember with all of these keyboards is to download your specific language in the settings! Play Store seems to promote Swiftkey, which I don't think it's a patch on this one.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk