Note 2 Battery Life Tips - General Call for Info

GoBucks2372

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This is opened up to anyone and everyone who has a tip/suggestion.

What are some things we can all do to improve Note 2 battery life? Uninstall certain apps? Disable certain features?

Anything you have to contribute would be great!

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Besides the obvious rooting and uninstalling bloatware, adjusting your screen brightness and timeout, turning off GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth and using a task manager app to kill apps. There is a pretty good app I'd definitely recommend called AutomateIt that can be set up to turn off your settings when not in use. I primarily use it to turn off my WiFi when it's not connected to my home network because I'm constantly forgetting to turn it off when I leave the house.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Besides the obvious rooting and uninstalling bloatware, adjusting your screen brightness and timeout, turning off GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth and using a task manager app to kill apps. There is a pretty good app I'd definitely recommend called AutomateIt that can be set up to turn off your settings when not in use. I primarily use it to turn off my WiFi when it's not connected to my home network because I'm constantly forgetting to turn it off when I leave the house.

I use Deep Sleep Battery Saver Pro. I dunno how I discovered it but I'm not complaining. :D

ThatDudeDez

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Balze no. Ive been using nova and notice nothing different. And apps like task killers are terrible for your phone. If you do research youll find out why. Main reasons is ur phone never goes into deep sleep and ur phone will start doing crazy things when them task killers are installed. I have a note 2 and another setting to help battery is go into advanced wifi settings and make sure it is set to turn wifi off during sleep. Other then that close recent apps often esp before u goto bed so nothings up draining. A good app to see whats killing ur battery without interfering with ur OS os an app called better battery stats. It helped me locate beautiful widgets was killing my phone. Deleted it. Now im getting around 35 hours on a full charge. Hope this helps

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Balze no. Ive been using nova and notice nothing different. And apps like task killers are terrible for your phone. If you do research youll find out why. Main reasons is ur phone never goes into deep sleep and ur phone will start doing crazy things when them task killers are installed. I have a note 2 and another setting to help battery is go into advanced wifi settings and make sure it is set to turn wifi off during sleep. Other then that close recent apps often esp before u goto bed so nothings up draining. A good app to see whats killing ur battery without interfering with ur OS os an app called better battery stats. It helped me locate beautiful widgets was killing my phone. Deleted it. Now im getting around 35 hours on a full charge. Hope this helps

Exactly

Never use a task killer. Period.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing that really helped me was going to Google now and turning off all the cards that constantly check for my location. I noticed that it was keeping my phone awake for a total of 1hour and 20 minutes on average, and after disabling it is down to 20 minutes.

By it I meant Google maps, somehow those two are connected. I'm guessing Google now uses maps for location services.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing that really helped me was going to Google now and turning off all the cards that constantly check for my location. I noticed that it was keeping my phone awake for a total of 1hour and 20 minutes on average, and after disabling it is down to 20 minutes.

By it I meant Google maps, somehow those two are connected. I'm guessing Google now uses maps for location services.

I just turn off all 3 location options and my battery life doubled because Google Maps was sucking most of the life out of mine for no real reason other than to know where I am. When ever I need a location service, I'll be prompted anyway. My battery life almost doubled.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the setting for Google now, opening Google now and pressing the menu button, you can turn on and off what type of cards you want. I turned off most of them except for weather. It has helped my battery tremendously.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
4.1.2 is the main problem. It's what started the battery problems with the Note 2. I've read that 4.2.1 fixes the battery problems you get from 4.1.2 but still. It sucks we have to wait so long.

I'm on t-mobile and we are still running 4.1.1, we got the security patch and multi window patch but that was months ago. So now we will get 4.1.2 that will mess up our battery life then how long will we have to wait for 4.2.1?

I really thought Samsung and T-Mobile would've put what ever caused there slow updates behide them, at least for the people's sake. I mean we go buy a new phone. It should at least be top priority for updates for the first year after that then yeah, take a month or two longer to update the phone for the second year after release. But for the first 12 months this phone is out. Make sure to get updates to it as fast as possible. All the other carriers have had 4.1.2 for about two months, but T-Mobile hasn't given us a single update, Just patches.

I think since it's already been this long give us 4.2.1 or even 4.2.2 if they put a good sized team on the updating of this phone it could happen in weeks rather then months.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
What did u do to turn off them 3 location things ur talking about?

Menu>Settings>Location services. I have all 3 off all the time until I open an app that requires one or more of them, and just turn on at that time. Then when I'm done with whatever app required turning location on, I turn them off again.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
since when did wifi become a battery hog, I came from a Thunderbolt and Rezound where wifi was a life saver. I have also noticed that for my phone wifi saves me battery cause at work I am in a crap area for coverage, and home is just a little bit better, so I leave wifi on all the time and have increased my life by about 1-2 hours.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
since when did wifi become a battery hog, I came from a Thunderbolt and Rezound where wifi was a life saver. I have also noticed that for my phone wifi saves me battery cause at work I am in a crap area for coverage, and home is just a little bit better, so I leave wifi on all the time and have increased my life by about 1-2 hours.

Wi-Fi isn't necessarily a battery hog, but when it's not needed, as was mentioned above, turning it off will save battery vs. leaving it on as will anything running when not needed. Sure, Wi-Fi saves battery vs. using your data connection, but that isn't what was being discussed.