How to handle batteries?

ShelaghDB

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
New to the Note 2 and curious how to handle the batteries for a longer life?

I have 3 electric bikes with Lead acid batteries. Not knowing the first thing about how to handle batteries, I quickly learned that you had to charge the bikes every night and even if you go out for a quick 15 minutes, you MUST charge them right away.
This has enabled me to keep each battery for about 2.5 years.
Others, new to e-bikes that don't know this, tend to ride the bike until the battery is dead, even if it takes them 4 days to get to this point, and then and only then do they charge them fully. They wonder why their batteries on these e-bikes are pooched within 2 months,

Hence, I want to know the best way to charge the phone/battery upon usage?
Do i let them get very l ow and then charge or just keep charging them all the time when i am at home with a charger, even if i have, lets say, 48% left?

Thanks..

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The battery in the Note 2 and any other modern phone is lithium, so you don't have to worry about memory effect you would get with a partial discharge on Ni-Cad batteries.

Lithium batteries can handle x number of charges, if you let your phone get to 50% and charge it all the way up, that would be a half of one of the charges. Like the lead acid batteries, Lithium batteries should not be run all the way down. That being said, I think most phones have circuitry built to keep your battery from getting too low.

Some suggest that at least monthly you let your battery get down to 10-15% or all the way discharged before you charge it up. I don't think that is necessary, just charge your phone as you normally would. I personally slip mine on the charger at night (it is usually between 40-50% remaining) and it is good to go. You shouldn't have too much to worry about unless you are constantly letting it run down to 0% and then charging it up.

wickedfd

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So is it ok to charge it even on 50, 60 or 70 % still left ? Will it not ruin the battey life? Just askin' thanks!

sent using tapatalk via android device

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So is it ok to charge it even on 50, 60 or 70 % still left ? Will it not ruin the battey life? Just askin' thanks!

Yes, charge the battery. Just be aware that if you charge from 60% that's 40% of a charge cycle. If you charge from 70% you now used 30% of a full charge cycle. No need to hesitate on charging when needed. I plug my phone in while I'm at work since I use Netflix and want to make sure I have battery when I leave. I pull it fr the charger multiple times and drain it 20 to 30% by using the web, phone, and streaming music and video.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

wickedfd

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, charge the battery. Just be aware that if you charge from 60% that's 40% of a charge cycle. If you charge from 70% you now used 30% of a full charge cycle. No need to hesitate on charging when needed. I plug my phone in while I'm at work since I use Netflix and want to make sure I have battery when I leave. I pull it fr the charger multiple times and drain it 20 to 30% by using the web, phone, and streaming music and video.

Apparently doing it this way is better than doing the full charge/discharge cycle.

Thanks guys! Sometimes i cant do the "full charge to lowbat" charging practice. I often bump into charging it for about 50-70% battery remaining. I guess charging that way is safe (like youve said:D) for li-ion batteries.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For optimum life, don't keep the phone on the charger after fully charged if you can avoid it. Really, you can stop at 90-95% no problem. Also, I try not to go to empty

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
For optimum life, don't keep the phone on the charger after fully charged if you can avoid it. Really, you can stop at 90-95% no problem. Also, I try not to go to empty

This is true although doing so won't destroy the battery. Its better to follow this general rule but if you can't do so you'll be okay. The reason is batteries now a days charge to 100% and than stop charging. The phone will drop down to 95% or so than begin to charge again. This will jeep happening until you remove the phone from the charger.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is true although doing so won't destroy the battery. Its better to follow this general rule but if you can't do so you'll be okay. The reason is batteries now a days charge to 100% and than stop charging. The phone will drop down to 95% or so than begin to charge again. This will jeep happening until you remove the phone from the charger.

My tips were just for ideal situations. Use it normally and you will be fine, but if you want the longest lasting battery, then my tips above are good. Also, the note 2 maintains full charge, and doesn't cycle down to 95% like some other phones.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361803472221.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361803472221.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My tips were just for ideal situations. Use it normally and you will be fine, but if you want the longest lasting battery, then my tips above are good. Also, the note 2 maintains full charge, and doesn't cycle down to 95% like some other phones.

I always thought the Note II followed other phones but just drain through its first 5% quicker. No big deal, I can see why removing it would be ideal but still you'll be fine either way. But if you want the battery to last a long time do as dpham said. Otherwise you may need a new battery sooner but probably not for over a year and the battery is around d $40 or so. No big deal either way.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I always thought the Note II followed other phones but just drain through its first 5% quicker. No big deal, I can see why removing it would be ideal but still you'll be fine either way. But if you want the battery to last a long time do as dpham said. Otherwise you may need a new battery sooner but probably not for over a year and the battery is around d $40 or so. No big deal either way.

Absolutely, you can use your phone in any manner, and you will be fine. My wife insists on draining to empty, and do a full charge on her 4s. She got it 17 months ago at release and it still runs fine for her. Now her old 3g drops batteries like a fly, but she has had that phone much longer. I think for most people on a 1-2 year upgrade cycle, it won't matter much. The battery would slowly decrease anyway, it isn't going to one day stop working. The advantage of Samsung phones are that they have a removable battery, so easy to replace. Something that is a rarity these days among the likes of apple, lg, htc, and Motorola.

ShelaghDB

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
thanks for everyones post and you just made a good point, the battery is only $40...

Dealing with ebikes, I am dealing with $400 - $1,000 batteries and have to be vigilant...........but when dealing with a $40 version its not as important

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It is good for the battery to drain once a month. There us always going to be disagreement on this. I sold wireless previously for close to 5 years. Even reps today that I know still in the business suggest this. I do this and no problems

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
It is good for the battery to drain once a month. There us always going to be disagreement on this. I sold wireless previously for close to 5 years. Even reps today that I know still in the business suggest this. I do this and no problems

I don't actually know, but I do tend to do a full drain cycle every now and then. If only in my head it seems to make me think it helps.

As pointed out earlier though, try not to keep it on charger for hours after fully charged.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The battery has a memory. It stops charging when it has reached full charge. I am sleeping when mine is charging. I have never had a problem if still on charger when fully charged. Doesn't hurt it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Not saying you're wrong but I have heard draining a Lithium Ion is bad but I may be wrong. A lot of those I've spoken with in wireless still follow the Ni-Ion rules so I tend to avoid their advice.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Not saying you're wrong but I have heard draining a Lithium Ion is bad but I may be wrong. A lot of those I've spoken with in wireless still follow the Ni-Ion rules so I tend to avoid their advice.

Have always done this and like I said before....no problems. Its always been a yes / no discussion. It doesn't cause issues.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Have always done this and like I said before....no problems. Its always been a yes / no discussion. It doesn't cause issues.

Im sure once a month won't make a difference. Obviously draining it every day will decrease lifespan though.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have an extra 3100mah with external charger, both from Samsung. I just let it drain to about 15-10% then pop it out to the charger then pop in the charged one. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63