Files not visible on external microSDXC card

smleeth

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I apologize in advance if this has already been answered and I haven't found it in the forums yet. I'm crunched for time before I jump on a plane. I figured I'd ask while I continue to search the forums...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (US - Sprint) and received the following external memory card yesterday:
Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 Flash Card (SDCX10/64GB): Computers & Accessories

I was previously using an old 8GB class 6 miscroSDHC card with no problems. I removed that card form the phone, inserted the new card and formatted it (exFAT). The phone had no trouble seeing 59ishGB of the new card.

I removed the new card from my phone and inserted it into my laptop. The phone had created a folder called "LOST.DIR" but other than that the card was empty. I created a folder called "Music" and proceeded to move just under 8GB of music folders/files to it overnight.

This morning I removed the card from my laptop and inserted it into my phone. I opened the "My Files" app and when I opened the "extSdCard" folder there was nothing there. I removed the card and reinserted it in my laptop and the "lost" and "music" files were both available. I removed the card once again and reinserted into my phone and after about 15 seconds or so the phone rebooted. Once the phone powered on it rebooted again. Once it powered on again it rebooted once more and this time it powered into safe mode. Once in safe mode, I checked for the card and low and behold I could see both folders and I was able to play mp3 files from the music folder.

The phone shows 51.06GB of 59.01GB free on the external card, whether in safe or regular mode. Every time I removed the card from the phone or laptop, I unmounted it first. Any thoughts as to what is going on? I've read that Android sometimes doesn't play well with Windows folders, but I've never had a trouble with this on any other Android handset.

Thanks in advance!

smleeth

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I actually just figured this out thanks to another thread on XDA. I ended up reformatting the card FAT32 and things magically work now. I was able to get the phone out of safe mode, but the phone would still constantly reboot when the card was mounted. My guess is that I was accidentally pressing the left button on the front of my phone while it was rebooting, throwing me into safe mode.

Here is the solution I used in case it helps anyone else out:

Formatting exfat to fat32 - xda-developers

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using a File Manager (personally, I use Astro). See if you can access the folder from there.

I have read that you SOULDN'T allow the phone to format the card, but if it persists, I'd format the card in your PC using exFAT and if it fails, try doing it with FAT32. You'll be limited to 4GB files if this works, but at least you'll be able to see your files...

UPDATE: Apparently you found the solution while I was typing this... so, yeah, FAT32 is the most compatible when using with your computer and your phone, but it limits you to 4GB files. You could also try to use exFAT and do all the copying/writing THROUGH your phone (as in plug the phone to PC, not just the card)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante