Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

Every now and then I'll be using my phone, then it will freeze up. About 5 seconds later I will get a pop-up saying "Maps has stopped working". Once I click OK, my phone starts working again as usual. This has happened to me while using various apps on my phone.
    Anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

I haven't had any issues. Try uninstalling the maps app and then reinstall. Sounds like a weird glitch

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Have you cleared caches or anything with any particular apps previous to this occurring? Or any task killers?

I get a hang up while using system tweaks after clearing caches unless I reboot... And it's not only maps, poweramp, Google account services, Facebook, etc... I usually get about 8 or more consecutive.

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    I haven't had any issues. Try uninstalling the maps app and then reinstall. Sounds like a weird glitch

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    Tried that. Didn't work. Uninstalling the Maps app isn't possible that I'm aware of. Since it's a system app, uninstalling only allows you to roll back to previous versions.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I disabled Location Reporting in the settings of the Maps application. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for me.

Update: That didn't work either.

Last edited by cdf3; 03-07-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I disabled Location Reporting in the settings of the Maps application. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for me.

Update: That didn't work either.

what carrier are you on?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    what carrier are you on?
    I'm on Verizon.

I also starting getting "Settings has stopped working" error pop-ups while looking through the settings of my device.
    Not sure if apps were causing the issue, I uninstalled several apps that were running in the background when the error messages occured. So far I haven't seen any more error messages. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm on Verizon.

have you tried booting in safe mode to verify that it indeed is software related?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

have you tried booting in safe mode to verify that it indeed is software related?
    Will the phone be crippled while in safe mode?
    The error messages happen a few times a week. Hate to be running in safe mode for extended periods of time.

Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

The biggest thing... are you using any kind of task killer or battery saver app?

Will the phone be crippled while in safe mode?
    The error messages happen a few times a week. Hate to be running in safe mode for extended periods of time.

No, phone won't be crippled. It'll just be running bare-bones. This way, you'll be able to tell if it's an app you've installed or if it's possibly hardware. When you re-boot normally, then your original setup will be back.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    The biggest thing... are you using any kind of task killer or battery saver app?

No. No task killer apps.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

No, phone won't be crippled. It'll just be running bare-bones. This way, you'll be able to tell if it's an app you've installed or if it's possibly hardware. When you re-boot normally, then your original setup will be back.
    Would apps be disabled?

it'll basically look the way when you first pulled it out of the box. i had to run safe mode to figure out what was hanging up my note2 for a few boots until i was able to figure out what was freezing my phone. after a few weeks of watching and diagnosing, it was that darned at&t voicemail viewer (home voicemail) app.

yes, essentially you won't be able to "see" your installed apps. but hopefully you'll be able to diagnose the problem in safe mode (can you recreate the freeze in safe mode) so you're not running it in safe mode for any length of time.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

yes, essentially you won't be able to "see" your installed apps. but hopefully you'll be able to diagnose the problem in safe mode (can you recreate the freeze in safe mode) so you're not running it in safe mode for any length of time.
    It doesn't happen enough for me to want to run in safe mode. It could happen today, then not happen again until a day or two later. That's a long stretch of not being able to use apps.
    It's very unpredictable as far as when it will happen. There's no way to recreate it.

Ok then try to watch a few things and just note what's going on. For example:

1. Does it happen when you enter/leave a wifi area?
    2. Does a particular app ask you to re-enter your password when you've already entered it (this means the app crashed and restarted)?
    3. Notice any charging problems?
    4. etc.

This will start to help diagnose your problem. Unfortunately, it's going to be a gremlin until we can start to narrow it down. Let us know over the next few days what you're observing.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Ok then try to watch a few things and just note what's going on. For example:

1. Does it happen when you enter/leave a wifi area?
    2. Does a particular app ask you to re-enter your password when you've already entered it (this means the app crashed and restarted)?
    3. Notice any charging problems?
    4. etc.

This will start to help diagnose your problem. Unfortunately, it's going to be a gremlin until we can start to narrow it down. Let us know over the next few days what you're observing.
    No problems with any of the listed suggestions.
    It did it a few more times a while ago. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Decided to go ahead and do a factory reset.
    Waiting for my device to set itself back up.
    I'll keep you all updated if it happens again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My note does seem to freeze when I enter or leave a Wifi area. Not always but that seems to be a commonality.

TRY THIS! Go to Settings - Location services - then make sure you check the "use wireless networks" and "Location and Google search". This helps my problem. =)

I am having the same problem, my phone freezes and after couple of minutes it says to me that maps has stopped working !!!! I am on T-mobile
    I tried most of the suggested solutions, non of them worked for me !!
    please someone help me

same here. galaxy s3. Verizon. Tried everything including a NEW phone. Nobody seems to have the answer.