Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Every now and then I'll be using my phone, then it will freeze up. About 5 seconds later I will get a pop-up saying "Maps has stopped working". Once I click OK, my phone starts working again as usual. This has happened to me while using various apps on my phone.
    Anyone else having this problem?

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    I haven't had any issues. Try uninstalling the maps app and then reinstall. Sounds like a weird glitch

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  3. #3  
    tirith's Avatar
    Resident Linux Fiend

    Posts
    1,593 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Have you cleared caches or anything with any particular apps previous to this occurring? Or any task killers?

    I get a hang up while using system tweaks after clearing caches unless I reboot... And it's not only maps, poweramp, Google account services, Facebook, etc... I usually get about 8 or more consecutive.

    ~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    I haven't had any issues. Try uninstalling the maps app and then reinstall. Sounds like a weird glitch

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    Tried that. Didn't work. Uninstalling the Maps app isn't possible that I'm aware of. Since it's a system app, uninstalling only allows you to roll back to previous versions.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    I disabled Location Reporting in the settings of the Maps application. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for me.

    Update: That didn't work either.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Last edited by cdf3; 03-07-2013 at 03:47 AM.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I disabled Location Reporting in the settings of the Maps application. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for me.

    Update: That didn't work either.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    what carrier are you on?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    what carrier are you on?
    I'm on Verizon.

    I also starting getting "Settings has stopped working" error pop-ups while looking through the settings of my device.
    Not sure if apps were causing the issue, I uninstalled several apps that were running in the background when the error messages occured. So far I haven't seen any more error messages. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I'm on Verizon.


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    have you tried booting in safe mode to verify that it indeed is software related?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    have you tried booting in safe mode to verify that it indeed is software related?
    Will the phone be crippled while in safe mode?
    The error messages happen a few times a week. Hate to be running in safe mode for extended periods of time.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  10. #10  
    tirith's Avatar
    Resident Linux Fiend

    Posts
    1,593 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    The biggest thing... are you using any kind of task killer or battery saver app?

    ~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    Will the phone be crippled while in safe mode?
    The error messages happen a few times a week. Hate to be running in safe mode for extended periods of time.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    No, phone won't be crippled. It'll just be running bare-bones. This way, you'll be able to tell if it's an app you've installed or if it's possibly hardware. When you re-boot normally, then your original setup will be back.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    The biggest thing... are you using any kind of task killer or battery saver app?

    ~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network
    No. No task killer apps.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    No, phone won't be crippled. It'll just be running bare-bones. This way, you'll be able to tell if it's an app you've installed or if it's possibly hardware. When you re-boot normally, then your original setup will be back.
    Would apps be disabled?

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    it'll basically look the way when you first pulled it out of the box. i had to run safe mode to figure out what was hanging up my note2 for a few boots until i was able to figure out what was freezing my phone. after a few weeks of watching and diagnosing, it was that darned at&t voicemail viewer (home voicemail) app.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    yes, essentially you won't be able to "see" your installed apps. but hopefully you'll be able to diagnose the problem in safe mode (can you recreate the freeze in safe mode) so you're not running it in safe mode for any length of time.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    yes, essentially you won't be able to "see" your installed apps. but hopefully you'll be able to diagnose the problem in safe mode (can you recreate the freeze in safe mode) so you're not running it in safe mode for any length of time.
    It doesn't happen enough for me to want to run in safe mode. It could happen today, then not happen again until a day or two later. That's a long stretch of not being able to use apps.
    It's very unpredictable as far as when it will happen. There's no way to recreate it.


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Ok then try to watch a few things and just note what's going on. For example:

    1. Does it happen when you enter/leave a wifi area?
    2. Does a particular app ask you to re-enter your password when you've already entered it (this means the app crashed and restarted)?
    3. Notice any charging problems?
    4. etc.

    This will start to help diagnose your problem. Unfortunately, it's going to be a gremlin until we can start to narrow it down. Let us know over the next few days what you're observing.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    Ok then try to watch a few things and just note what's going on. For example:

    1. Does it happen when you enter/leave a wifi area?
    2. Does a particular app ask you to re-enter your password when you've already entered it (this means the app crashed and restarted)?
    3. Notice any charging problems?
    4. etc.

    This will start to help diagnose your problem. Unfortunately, it's going to be a gremlin until we can start to narrow it down. Let us know over the next few days what you're observing.
    No problems with any of the listed suggestions.
    It did it a few more times a while ago. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Decided to go ahead and do a factory reset.
    Waiting for my device to set itself back up.
    I'll keep you all updated if it happens again.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    My note does seem to freeze when I enter or leave a Wifi area. Not always but that seems to be a commonality.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    TRY THIS! Go to Settings - Location services - then make sure you check the "use wireless networks" and "Location and Google search". This helps my problem. =)
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    I am having the same problem, my phone freezes and after couple of minutes it says to me that maps has stopped working !!!! I am on T-mobile
    I tried most of the suggested solutions, non of them worked for me !!
    please someone help me
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Phone keep freezing.. Maps has stopped working

    same here. galaxy s3. Verizon. Tried everything including a NEW phone. Nobody seems to have the answer.

Similar Threads

  1. Speaker phone has stopped working...
    By efyoiphone in forum Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 04:56 AM
  2. Maps has stopped working
    By Sesami in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 12:18 AM
  3. Netflix has stopped working for me
    By littlebone in forum Barnes & Noble Nook Color
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
  4. Calendar has stopped working after firmware upgrade
    By stevethepug in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
  5. Phone Keeps Freezing up....
    By Robbie317 in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions